Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Turner Creek Trail

Turner Creek Trail

Re: Turner Creek Trail

Postby BP22 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Date Hiked: August 31, 2021
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

trail getting choked up, I cleared the trail about halfway to Apple Tree camp, plan to clear more when I can. Upper Turner Creek is nearly dry.
BP22

Postby Jackson on Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Date Hiked: August 14, 2021

Berry vines and nettles encroaching on the trail
Jackson

Postby BP22 on Wed May 19, 2021 8:02 pm

Date Hiked: May 18, 2021

A month ago I rated this trail clear, but from Turner Creek Camp to the Skinner Ridge Saddle, the trail is getting choked a bit with poison oak, blackberry, gooseberry, nettles, ceonothus etc. This trail has seen lots of growth since the soberanes fire, and it's been cleared a few times recently, so I was surprised to see how fast it's growing this last month. The trail is still easy to hike through, it's just starting to get a bit stuffy. I did a round of brushing, will probably do some more soon. Saddle to Devil's Peak is clear
BP22

Postby VWA_Ranger on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 am

Date Hiked: April 18, 2021

Description:
VWA/USFS Volunteer Rangers patrolled from the Turner Creek Trailhead to Pat Springs and back. They did spot brushing and reinstalled the sign at Big Pines Trail and VDCT Jct. Most of the trail is clear of brush with about 10 trees down which are easily stepped over.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: This report is for informational purposes only. Trail conditions may change at any time. The Ventana Wilderness Alliance assumes no liability for the use of this information.
VWA_Ranger

Postby willlma on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:20 pm

Date Hiked: April 18, 2021

We hiked from the Hoist on Palo Colorado Road to Pat Springs campsite via Long Ridge Road, Turner Creek trail, and Skinner Ridge trail.

Did not see Turner Creek camp as it looked completely overgrown. See Alan Harder's note on the detour trail (marked as Turner Creek Usetrail on bigsurtrailmap.net). In general the trail runs a bit further from the creek than the map would indicate. The trail is quite clear with some brush encroaching and a few trees to step over. There's some poison oak starting to grow, so pants are recommended. Apple Tree camp was cleaned up and was the only place we were actually able to access Turner Creek along this trail. Water is available from a couple of streams that that flow into Turner Creek from the north as well, which the trail crosses.

We met some Ventana Wilderness Alliance (VWA) volunteers at Pat Springs and I believe that they had cleared sections of the Turner Creek trail.
willlma

Postby marinahobson on Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 pm

Date Hiked: February 21, 2021

Several deadfalls. Trail was well maintained in most spots and it looked like someone had recently cut back the brush. There were some areas of encroaching brush, but for the most part it is in good shape. There is a bypass trail around a large deadfall but the turn for it is easy to see and the trail is good.
marinahobson

Postby Alan Harder on Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:50 pm

Date Hiked: February 8, 2021

Trail is in good shape all the way up to Skinner Ridge Trail.
Brush has been trimmed back, just a few logs to climb over.
There is a well established detour trail around one big tree fall in the vicinity of Turner Creek Camp, but both ends of the detour are not in sight of the blockage so you have to backtrack a bit if you miss the turnoffs.
Alan Harder

Postby sur_swing on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:09 am

Date Hiked: June 27, 2020
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Wow. Experts Only. But great fun! Eager to see if I could get to Devil's Peak. Walked up Long Ridge Friday evening. Cowboy camped 100 yards into the Turner Creek Trail because it was dark. I was literally on the trail while cowboy camping -- locals still came over to ask what I was doing. I told them I was just sleeping on trail so I could head up Turner Creek Trail first thing in the morning. Not pleasant -- but accepted my answer. No trail angels in Big Sur. We are completely in our rights to sleep on trail. I hiked up to Turner Creek which was passable -- not completely clear but not difficult. Buggy. Lots of poison oak. At Turner Creek the trail splits three ways and one passage to the creek is nice but does not go anywhere from there. One goes up to an upper flat camping-like area but then leads nowhere. The middle trail passes directly into a giant forest of Poison Oak. I saw a more recent post suggesting gloves and machete. I'd agree with that. The roughest part is from Turner Creek Camp to Apple Tree: not for the faint of heart. I want to go back and try hiking up Turner Creek from Turner Creek Camp to Apple Tree as walking the creek itself through the Poison Oak forest looked more passable than the trails. Eager to return snd potentially get to Devils Peak and maybe even through-hike to Jeffrey Road!
sur_swing

Postby jyoder93 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Date Hiked: July 6, 2020
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Turner creek trail is extremely overgrown, though I passed through it twice over the weekend, hacking with an 12-inch blade as I went. After my passage trail conditions are better than they were, but some hikers may still find this to be an impassable trail. It is a heavy bush-wack, and has one large downed tree with it's canopy across the trail which was difficult to climb over. The section from the trailhead to apple tree camp was worse than the remaining section after that, up to the ridge. Apple tree camp (directly next to the creek) had plentiful water and is a great campsite, though there's a precarious dead tree across the creek overhanging the site. On the way up to skinner ridge from Apple tree camp, I stumbled upon a huge rattlesnake that must've been at least 4 ft long, directly on the trail. After a long showdown I started to carefully bush whack around it and it scurried into the brush away from me. Too close for comfort. WATCH the trail as you go. On the way back down later on, I heard rockfall nearby but could not see it, which was also frightening as it sounded like it was coming my way. There's a boulder on the trail indicating rockfall may be a hazard with potential for hitting the trail. This could be a horrible time or great rugged adventure depending how you look at it. But don't go unless you want to bushwhack. Long pants and sleeves are a must. TONS of poison oak and some growing as high as face height. If I were to go back, I'd bring gloves and a machete!
jyoder93

Postby htrent on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Date Hiked: June 13, 2020
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

The trail is evident to anyone with an eye for it, however despite being able to keep track of the trail, (or what was) the area was completely overgrown with brush, and plenty of spiny thorn bushes.
That being said there is still an accurate sign at the intersection with the Skinner Ridge Trail, and it is still possibly to follow the trail however it ought to be marked as a lost trail.
htrent

Next

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails