Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Ventana Camp Trail

Ventana Camp Trail

Re: Ventana Camp Trail

Postby justin_baker on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Date Hiked: May 29, 2012
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The Junction is easy to miss. There will be a cut off to the side of the trail and a small, cleared area where people have obviously stopped for the night. Past that clearing is the trail. At the beginning of the trail, it can get a little confusing. You will take more than a few wrong turns but quickly figure out that it's the wrong way. Just be patient and persistent and you will get there. It could be frustrating to do at night. Soon the trail gets more defined and takes some switchbacks down the slope. We met a guy who was camping there and clearing the trail, so it may be in better shape now. There was plenty of deadfall but nothing too crazy.

I would recommend wearing pants when heading down the trail. My legs got a little scrapped up from the plants and there is poison oak everywhere.

Ventana Camp is an average place. It was kind of weedy and there was a lot of dead, dry grass everywhere. Just a little ugly in some spots. It most likely doesn't get many visitors. On a busy weekend, it would be a good alternative to the crowded Terrace Creek. You could likely be alone and make as much noise as you wanted. I hate having to whisper and be quiet because of others camped nearby.
justin_baker

Postby AdamW on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Date Hiked: November 14, 2012
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Same as previous report. There was one new tree we were able to remove.

However, on further assessment, I would report the trail as Passable due to the amounts of brush in the upper section and eroded tread.
AdamW

Postby AdamW on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 am

Date Hiked: August 18, 2012
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

The trees across the trail have been cleared except for one at the very bottom of the trail as it enters Ventana Camp.

Main difficulty is the eroded sections where trees used to be or where brush has pushed hikers to one side.

As usual, the junction with the Pine Ridge Trail is not signed. Please do not camp at this junction.
AdamW

Postby Oscar from Modesto on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:36 am

Date Hiked: April 9, 2012

This was my first time in the Ventana Wilderness. I hiked in from Big Sur Station and made it to the junction of Ventana Camp trail and Pine Ridge Trail. I was able to hike in about a 1/4 mile down the Ventana Camp trail before it became impassable. Or maybe I just lost the trail?
Oscar from Modesto

Postby radioshack73 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

Date Hiked: March 17, 2012

There are in excess of 50 trees now down on this trail. A lot of detours and the Trail is difficult to find, in places. The brush is rapidly taking the trail over in parts. This is going to take several trips with Crosscut Teams to clear.
radioshack73

Postby bewilliams on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Date Hiked: December 8, 2011

30 trees down ,one major detour , nothing too large. Two crosscut teams for two days should clear it and make the hike in and out with an overnite.
bewilliams

Postby rt1 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Date Hiked: August 7, 2011

The trail was in the best shape I've seen it. If you are careful you can avoid poison oak and there are no deadfalls. The tread is in great shape, just some brush on the sides. There is no sign at the junction but the junction is pretty obvious.
rt1

Postby Jim Ringland on Sat May 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Date Hiked: May 2, 2011

Looking at the VWA calendar, it looks like I hiked this right after the Youth In Wilderness Project folks has brushed the trail. They did a great job. The trail was clear and in good shape all the way down (and back up the next day). Ventana Camp was in fine shape too: several well-separated large camping sites with plenty of flat space. There was plenty of poison oak in the vicinity, but none intruded on the cleared camping areas. I didn't see a sign up where the Ventana Camp Trail meets the Pine Ridge Trail but the junction is pretty obvious.
Jim Ringland

Postby johnsfpa on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:27 am

Date Hiked: October 30, 2010

Trail was clear of debris, but narrow and only marked by a very small sign that was lying on the ground. The Ventana campsite was in very good condition, with 3-4 individual sites that each had log seats and fire pits. Camp fires still not allowed, talked to ranger station, no word when they will be allowed. Did not check out the toilet, but the water level was good in the river, and along the Pine Ridge Trail the trail was well with the exception of one downed tree that required a scramble to get over and would be impassable for stock (near the Ventana Wilderness/Los Padres NF sign).
johnsfpa

Postby C M Heard on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:10 am

Date Hiked: June 24, 2010
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

All of the downed trees were cleared during the Pine Ridge Trail reopening work done last year, but the route is very brushy with rather narrow tread. Note that the trail junction sign burned up in the 2008 Basin Fire and has not been replaced. The camp itself is reasonably clean, and the wilderness toilet survived the fire.
C M Heard

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails