Forums

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION - updated April 14, 2021

Highway One Closure: Due to a washout at Rat Creek, Highway 1 is closed from just north of Lime Creek Bridge in the north to Big Creek Vista Point in the south. Expect this closure to be in place until late April, 2021. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road -- which connects Highway 1 at Kirk Creek with Fort Hunter Liggett on the eastern side of the Coast Ridge -- is significantly damaged and will be closed indefinitely. 

What's Open: NEW: The Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Redwood Camp IS OPEN effective April 13, 2021. 

Effective January 22, 2021 U.S. Forest Service - Los Padres National Forest re-opened most unburned areas of the Monterey Ranger District. In the northern Ventana Wilderness, most lands north of and including the Marble Peak Trail are open. Wilderness trails inland can be accessed from the Arroyo Seco Recreation Area near Greenfield (off 101) and from Tassajara Road off or Carmel Valley Road). Along the coast, Wilderness trails may be accessed via the Pine Ridge Trail at Big Sur Station, the North Coast Ridge Road, the Boronda Trail, and the De Angulo Trail on Highway One.

Lands south of Willow Creek Road, including most of the Silver Peak Wilderness, are open. 

What's Closed: Click here for a map that shows the current fire closure boundaries

Road Closures: Del Venturi/Milpitas, Nacimiento-Fergusson, Cone Peak, Plaskett Ridge, Willow Creek/Los Burros, & South Coast Ridge Roads remain closed.

Know Before You Go: Not sure if a particular road, trail, or camp is open? Call the Monterey Ranger District at 831-385-5434. Please enjoy your public lands responsibly. Pack out everything you pack in (including toilet paper). Leave this special place better than you found it. Leave No Trace ethics are more important than ever. 

Current Fire Restrictions: Campfires and stoves are currently permitted in the backcountry. Click here for a permit and take it with you

State Parks: Check with individual State Parks to confirm access and for additional information. 
Open for day use: Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Garrapata State Park - Soberanes Canyon Trail, Andrew Molera State Park, Point Sur State Historic Park (tours only), and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

Closed: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, John Little State Natural Reserve

Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Santa Lucia Trail

Santa Lucia Trail

Re: Santa Lucia Trial (Pimkolam Summit)

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Date Hiked: October 8, 2012
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The lower portion of the trail is passable until the climb becomes steeper and switchbacks up to the junction of the trail coming from Arroyo Seco Campground. Brush is the major obstacle. Tread is in good condition. After the junction, brush quite often encroaches on the trail. The last 1 1/2 miles becomes unpleasant due to the degree of encroachment by manzanita, oak, and ceanothus. Contact with brush is inevitable and frequent, although the trail is obvious. Many trees have fallen over the trail on the last portion of the climb to the tower.

Re: Santa Lucia Trial (Arroyo Seco Side)

Postby jpdoelman on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Date Hiked: October 7, 2012
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The hike from Arroyo Seco, past the Adobe to Last Chance Camp was passable except for the difficulty(described in an earlier post) in the short section in the Santa Lucia Creek. From Last Chance Camp to Eagle Creek-SantaLucia Creek divide is still difficult, though not as difficult as it was when I last passed through. No water at the "Ant Camp" (see http://bigsurtrailmap.net map) in the Eagle creek area. Water was found (thanks to helpful hints from VWA expert JL) about 100 yards "downstream" of the camp area. That water prevented a hasty retreat back down to Last Chance Camp. Continuing up/south, the trail is very difficult to find just past some tree downage which spans the creek. On top of the tree crossing the creek is a rock marking the trail. After that point it is necessary to climb steeply going generally upstream until finding the trail about 100 feet above the creek. From that point the trail is in passable condition until getting near the Eagle creek/Roosevelt creek divide.... after that I presume the trail is in poor/impassible condition
jpdoelman

Postby mikesplain on Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Date Hiked: May 13, 2012

Section hiked: Santa Lucia Memorial Park to Junipero Serra summit.

It occurs to me that we should consider separating the summit trail from the remaining Santa Lucia Trail to avoid confusion.
In the meantime, I'll rate the southern part of the route as generally passable. This is the section from the trailhead at Memorial Park (the Indians) to Junipero Serra Peak.

Section- Santa Lucia Memorial Park to the saddle at 3.7 miles -
Clear, but maybe not for much longer as lots of fire-killed manzanita and ceanothus is beginning to collapse into the trail;
poison oak is present but generally avoidable, deerweed (probably tick-ridden in the wet season) is seriously encroaching & completely unavoidable

Section- Saddle at 3.7 miles to the divide between the Roosevelt Creek and Santa Lucia Creek drainages-
Clear with a bit of encroaching ceanothus & scrub oak here & there

Section- Roosevelt/SLC divide to summit-
Passable, occasionally approaching Difficult-
lots of deadfall to step over & at least 2 significant detours

The summit is littered with unsightly debris & I dream of the day when hikers, pack stock & helicopters
have hauled off the remnants of the cabin, outhouse & tower once & for all.
Nevertheless, it's still fantastic up there & the weather was remarkably mild & bug-free for May.
IMG_0571.JPG
deadfall past the second saddle
mikesplain

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Date Hiked: April 8, 2012
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

For the section from the adobe to Last Chance Falls viewpoint (just north of Bluff Usecamp)

In "clear" condition except for the creek-crossing section, where there were a good number of flags to guide one. I was expecting at best a "Passable" trail, instead found it a delight to hike through the gorgeous Santa Lucia Creek canyon. My thanks (and those of the other 9 hikers with me) to Jan Doelman and anyone else who has worked on it.

Jack Glendening

Added later: forgot to mention that the short section from Last Chance Camp to the crossing of Santa Lucia Creek just south of it is better rated "passable" as the tread was not well defined there, so relied upon flagging in its stead.
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby AT Girl on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Date Hiked: February 11, 2012

The trail is still in good condition with the creeklet still flowing across the trail before you climb the headwall to the first saddle. From the first saddle to the saddle at the W ridge the trail is in good condition but the brush is growing to turn into a scratchworthy enterprise above the reddish rock outcrop. The treadway is easy to follow but the scrub oak makes for some scratching. From this point to the end of the traverse and the final climb up the summit dome the treadway is in good shape but covered with many many wind downed pines. (The "water" sign on the tree is gone but the nails are still in place.) The pines were burned in 2008 Indian Fire so the majority of small branches are off, enjoy your clambering over and around the trunks. The final climb up to the summit is in good shape.
AT Girl

Postby jpdoelman on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 am

Date Hiked: February 11, 2012
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The last time I did this trail I was heading for Eagle creek and I was turned back by dense brush and time. This time I was looking for some payback. I loaded up my backpack with loppers and a bow saw, intending to camp at Eagle creek. I thought to myself, " I have all day, I'll do a little trail clearing along the way".
To quote Elliot Robinson, "Difficult to describe the difficulty". After hiking and lopping for a long while, I looked at my watch and it was 4:00, I stepped up my brush crashing and reduced my trail clearing activity. Next time I looked at my watch it was 5:20 and I was about a mile from the Eagle-creek/SantaLucia Creek ridgeline. It was time to stop fooling around with the trail clearing and make some time. Unfortunately, at this point the trail was significantly brushier. After dragging my packpack (once) and crawling (50+ yards) I arrived at the ridgeline at 6pm. So I had to negotiate the next mile to eagle creek via headlamp. Along the way, my watch had been ripped from my wrist, and I had lost my water bottle. I finally arrived at Eagle creek well after dark.
Next day, on a morning excursion up the Eagle creek, I was able to locate the continuation of the trail up towards the Roosevelt creek. The trail seems to be missing some switchbacks just past the point where the creek divides. When faced with a choice to go up the left, or right creek, choose the left. Then, shortly after that, it is necessary to ascend steeply to regain the trail.
On the way out, the idea was to remove the obstacles that had required me to crawl on the previous day. I did some significant trail clearing on the way down from the Eagle-Ck toward Santa Lucia Creek near the top. When I found my watch, it was 2:00pm and I was still way up on the mountain. Time again to push through the brush and make tracks for home. There was still one spot where I needed to crouch down too low to walk on my exit out of the brush area.

It is amazing to me that someone could push through to JSP in a push.

Great Hike !
jpdoelman

Postby Jim Ringland on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Date Hiked: February 6, 2012

Section: Santa Lucia Memorial Park to Pimkolam Summit

Reasonably clear trail most of the way up. There were a few easy step-overs and -unders on the lower part of the trail through oak woodland. Scattered pitcher sage plants were coming into bloom. Once the trail starts to climb through open chaparral to the first saddle at 4200 feet or so, there was a little brush at knee level that was easily nudged aside, although I can imagine someone in shorts -- not my problem on a chilly February day -- might find it a bit annoying after a while. From the lower saddle at 4200 feet to the upper one at 5400 feet, the route was almost as clear, although the vegetation on this stretch includes some scrub oak at chest level. Brushing it aside can be a more scratchy affair. Wearing a coat, I had no problem. Someone in a short sleeve shirt might. Still "brushing it aside" is the right description. I had no sense of having to "push through" the growth. No stooping, ducking, or crawling. The tread on all of this was easy to follow, if a little broken down /washed out in a handful of spots.

After the higher saddle and a simple traverse to the first sugar pines, I hit that extensive area of relatively small downed trees. I went through some, around others, and eventually got well off-trail, or so I thought. At that point, I just headed up the mostly open hillside to the summit. That was not the best idea. A steep slope plus some soft footing (and about 250 vertical feet to go) made for a long, slow plod. On the downward return, I followed the trail all the way and discovered that when I headed up, I wasn't anywhere near as far off the trail as I thought. The spot that confused me on the way up was at a big (several foot diameter) burned out stump where part of the fallen tree had landed right on the trail. Alternate routes around seemed to go either way up or right though some dense brush. After going high and not seeing the trail, I began my steep plod. On the return, I found what would have been the better route: go up, but not far. Contour, and the trail emerges only 50-100 feet past the burned out stump and falling trunk, at about the same elevation.

And if no one has noted this before, the Wilderness Press map totally botches the route up to the first saddle, sending the trail up the wrong draw. See Jack Glendening's map for the right route.
Last edited by Jim Ringland on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Ringland

Postby Guest on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 am

Date Hiked: December 17, 2011

Myself and a couple of friends did Junipero Serra Peak December 17, 2011. For the first 4.5-5 miles this trail is passable. It is rather overgrown but overall relatively easy to follow. About 4.5 miles in you hit the snow and that''s where the troubles begin and the trail condition turns into difficult. A lot of fallen dead trees in the way. Not only that but the snow obscures the trail and makes it easy to lose it. Be careful!. That's exactly what happened to us - we lost the trail and ended up scrambling up the slope the last couple hundred feet before we reached the summit. Overall, it's passable but things definitely get a little tricky at the end.
Unfortunately, it is clear that this trail has not been maintained in years.

Postby mikelort on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Date Hiked: January 27, 2012

Wife and I hiked to the summit and back from Santa Lucia Campground roundtrip in one day. Tuff hike in January due to short days. Tuff hike anytime in my opinion. Finished the last three miles on return trip by headlight. Trail to the upper saddle (4 mile marker) was pretty clear...a few deadfalls but easily went around or over. From the upper saddle to the 'summit saddle' the brush growth is beginning to impede travel. As noted by others earlier in the year, another year or two without pruning, it will be a difficult. Wished I read some trail reports before heading up because when we hit all the many downed trees near the summit (within 2 or 3 hundred yards?) we were unsure as to where the trail went and decided enjoy the views to the south and west before heading back down as time was getting short.
mikelort

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 am

Date Hiked: October 16, 2011

Coming down from J.Serra Peak on my annual Junipero Serra Loop SC hike, much deadfall on north side of mt, mostly 6-8" diameter trees - most can be stepped over, a few require leaving tread. Brush is encroaching all along trail, but route is apparent. Summit register only had a single page, first entry being July 17 of this year - wonder where all the previous pages went to (since last year there were pages going back to 2009).
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails