Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Pine Ridge Trail

Pine Ridge Trail

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Postby cbh on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Date Hiked: February 14, 2015
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Big Sur Station trailhead is back open, though marked with a caution sign at the start. The trail was heavily used over President's Day weekend, is well defined and generally in good shape. There are a few tricky crossings due to fallen trees, but all can be passed with poles or a helping hand. A fair amount of poison oak along the trail, but nothing overgrown impeding the trail at this time of year.
cbh

Postby pantilat on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Date Hiked: January 24, 2015
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

From the Terrace Creek junction to the Big Sur River crossing at Sykes Camp the Pine Ridge Trail is a wilderness freeway with no brush and no downfall. A lot of work has been put into this trail and it shows as it's in the best condition I have seen it. Since Big Sur Station is still officially closed due to the slide at Post Creek there were few people on the trail (most access via Coast Ridge Road/Terrace Creek) so now is a great time to enjoy some relative peace and quiet at the hot springs. I was, however, ambushed by some rattled large dogs at the Sykes Camp. If you bring your dogs into the wilderness please make sure you can control them... and by control I mean not just saying the dog is friendly when it's jumping on me.
pantilat

Postby Steve B on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Date Hiked: January 2, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The Pine Ridge Trail has been closed by State Parks from the Big Sur Station Trailhead to the State Park boundary 2.9 miles from Big Sur due to trail damage from the December storms. The safest and legal way is to hike to Barlow Flats, Ventana Camp, and Sykes Camp is to start at the Ventana Inn and follow the North Coast Ridge Road, hike 4.5 miles along the road to the Terrace Creek Trailhead and follow the signs. The distance is about the same as starting form Big Sur but parking may be a problem, the Big Sur trailhead parking area is closed. You should anticipate down trees, washouts and trail damage. It is unknown when the State Parks will re-open the trail and parking area. Pack It In Pack It Out.
Steve B

Postby mbrewer206 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:59 am

Date Hiked: December 23, 2014
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

attempted to run/hike this trail from the Big Sur Station but the rangers said the whole trail was closed due to mud slides. There were signs posted at the ranger station and about 300 feet beyond the parking lot at the trailhead.
mbrewer206

Postby rt1 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Date Hiked: December 23, 2014

Section: China Camp to Church Creek Divide
Clear to Wilderness Freeway in many places. Brushy on the first climb out of China Camp and on the final decent to the divide. On the switchbacks down to the divide the tread gets faint or slightly washed out in a few places.

Forgot it's band tailed pigeon season for the next week. Several hunters were near the trailhead but they were very considerate. Just letting you know so you're careful out there.
rt1

Postby Steve B on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Date Hiked: December 18, 2014
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

There is a wash out on the Pine Ridge Trail about 2.9 miles from the Big Sur Trailhead Parking lot (.10 miles from the wilderness boundary) The wash out would be very difficult to get by with a heavy backpack.
Attachments
PRT_672.JPG
Post Creek near the start of the trail.
wash out3.jpg
2.9 miles from the parking lot (.10 miles from the wilderness boundary sign)
wash out2.jpg
wash out.jpg
Steve B

Postby Fat Popi on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:42 pm

Date Hiked: December 7, 2014

What a difference a few days can make.
Headed out a week ago,wonderful trail,today it looked like a bomb(or 4) had gone off. Over 15 trees down on pine ridge between big sur and sykes,4 more between sykes and redwood.
Nothing huge,but many over unders.
Lots of clowns leaving trash(clothing,towels,tents,blankets) that got wet and people just abandoned. Really sad to see that after it being so clean this summer.
Fat Popi

Postby Fat Popi on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Date Hiked: November 5, 2014
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and/or well maintained)

Go now.
Best trail conditions of the year. Rain firmed up the tread,only 2 trees down on entire trail from big sur station to Sykes. They are hitting those this weekend :) Out of all my many many trips this summer,this mornings hike was the most pleasant/easy.
To many people still having fires at the camps. I stopped over 40 myself this summer,its sad that people cant check there sense of privilege at the trail head.
When you get to Sykes,cross the river and to the left is the Toilet, Please use it. I taped it with pink tape 3 months ago,follow tape up hill. There really is no excuse for not using that toilet at Sykes,as the landscape is not fit for bury away from the water.
Across from the hot springs downriver is a Biohazard. You have been warned. Just cause we have picked up the paper,does not mean that hundreds of dumps have not been taken by that treestump.

As always,check yourself. Come to sykes with respect. Its a sacred holy place. Act like it.
Pack in,pack out.
Fat Popi

Postby Solid Snake on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Date Hiked: October 11, 2014
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

SECTION HIKED - From Pine Ridge Camp to Terrace Creek Camp

This trail is in excellent condition. I picked it up at the intersection with the Big Sur Trail. I hiked up to Pine Ridge Camp, intending to fill up my water and continue on down the Black Cone Trail. To my great dismay I found that there is no water at the spring near Pine Ridge Camp. (where the iron pipe comes out of the little concrete block) This forced me to reroute my trip, as I was completely out of water, and proceed back down the Pine ridge Trail to Redwood Camp. I resupplied my water and had lunch here. Redwood Camp is one of the most beautiful camps in the Ventana Wilderness and I highly recommend it to any backcountry traveler.

After lunch I continued along the trail. When I encountered copious amounts of feces covered toilet paper strewn across the trail, I knew I must be getting close to Sykes Camp. Sure enough, a quarter mile later I was there. I crossed the Big Sur River, splashed my face with the cool water, and continued on my way without hesitation. I must have passed at least a dozen GROUPS of people (at least fifty individuals) between here and Barlow Flat who were headed into Sykes Camp. I also passed a VWA trail maintenance crew. (thank you guys for all your hard work) There were only a couple of deadfalls between Pine Ridge Camp and Terrace Creek Camp, and very little encroaching brush.
-Ruben
Solid Snake

Postby Trailss on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Date Hiked: August 23, 2014
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

We started at China Camp and headed toward Pine Valley. The first couple miles of the trails were slightly overgrown but passable. We then took the Carmel River Trail to Bear Basin Trail. Where Bear Basin meets Carmel River, there were small puddles of standing water. The second part of Bear Basin that continues onto the four corners of Black Cone and Pine Ridge is nonexistent.

As you get to the very top of Pine Ridge Trail, before starting to make the descent into Redwood Camp, the trail gets faint and seems to end at a fallen tree. Push on through the brush for a few feet and you will come to the four corner trail junction. We made the mistake of following footsteps, and missed the trail junction and went pretty far down Black Cone (very overgrown) before realizing our mistake. Once back on Pine Ridge, we descended 2700 feet of overgrown trail to Redwood Camp. There is water and some nice large camping spots. The stream was moving, but not very fast. We spent the night at Redwood Camp and hiked into Big Sur the next day. Sykes had plenty of water and the trail past Sykes is heavily used and easy to follow.

If you start at China Camp, don’t expect any water until you get to Redwood Camp. Trails are overgrown; pants are a must. Be aware that the second part of Bear Basin that goes to the start of Black Cone and crosses Pine Ridge is abandoned. For the most part, the trail is very easy to follow, but bushes/trees will be grabbing at you for most of the way.

[Editor: there is water at Pine Ridge Camp, a half mile down from the Black Cone /Bear Basin junction. You must go 1/4 mile off the trail to get to Pine Ridge Camp.]
Trailss

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails