Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Pine Ridge Trail

Pine Ridge Trail

Re: Pine Ridge Trail

Postby pantilat on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Date Hiked: November 18, 2018
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Conditions are largely the same as the last report from China Camp to beyond the junction with Bear Basin connector. There's a burnt step over log just after (west of) Church Divide and another log (~1 ft diameter) just before the Carmel River headwaters. Just after Divide Camp the crown of a small blown over oak is over the trail (a couple cuts of primary branches ~6 inch diameter should clear it out).

There is still seeping water in the Woodwardia Ferns above Divide Camp, but a good flow of clear, cold water is found at the Carmel River Headwaters, a reliable water source.

Ceanothus shoots and some scrub oak are filling in very quickly along a few spots of the trail between China Camp and Church Divide. Another reminder just how quickly the brush returns after a fire. Spots that were bare earth between brush skeletons last year are already filling in quickly. This rapid growth is already starting to encroach on the trail in a few sections, however it's not enough to lower the rating yet.
pantilat

Postby David Hirsch on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Date Hiked: October 30, 2018
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The Pine Ridge Trail from the Church Creek Divide to Pine Ridge Camp is mostly clear with the exception of a few step-over/under logs. From the Pine Ridge Camp turn-off to the Big Sur Trail intersection, the trail is difficult to impassable (heavily overgrown, plenty of rough, slumped tread, and frequent deadfall) but it is flagged and can be followed.
David Hirsch

Postby Jana N on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 am

Date Hiked: September 1, 2018

Backpacked into Pine Valley from China Camp, the trail to Pine Valley was great, from Church Creek divide to Pine Valley there was a good mile stretch of head high grass and brush encroaching in the trail, but still very passable and the trail was easy follow.

I did not see any snakes, and only was bitten twice by bugs. There were face flies, but not many biting bugs out, granted I did wear bug spray. I also did not get any ticks.

There was water down at the creek in Pine Valley, enough to be able to filter plenty of drinking water. DO NOT FORGET YOUR WATER FILTER if you are staying the night, and it's good to have even just for a day hike into Pine Valley. I passed a woman on my way out that had gotten heat stroke, and needed water, she had a very difficult time getting out, it took her 7 hours.

There was a lot of traffic in Pine Valley, I saw about 12-15 people, mostly all that were camping in Pine Valley. My friend who hiked in on 9/2/18 passed 10 people on her way into Pine Valley.

This is a great trail, but I do want to emphasize that the trail is very steep, rugged, and unforgiving. The entire trail is either an incline or a decline, and very steep most of the time. If you don't hike often, or are not fit/strong physically, I would not recommend this trail.

I want to send a big Thank You to the Ventana Wilderness Alliance for all of the hard work on the trail, you've done an excellent job, and it is very much appreciated. Without your efforts, many of the trails would disappear, so I sincerely Thank You for the continued work in the Ventana Wilderness.

Happy Trails!!!
Jana N

Found retainer!!

Postby Megan Sebay on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 am

Date Hiked: May 9, 2018
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Hey, Birdsong - I think I found the retainer you were looking for! It was on the grass at the creekside camp. Can I text or email you a photo to confirm it's the one you're missing and that it's in good enough condition before I mail it? My email is meganesebay@gmail.

As for the trail, it's looking great all the way to Pine Ridge. I've never seen anything like it in Ventana :)
Megan Sebay

Postby edormody on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Date Hiked: June 3, 2018

Backpacked Pine Ridge to Church Creek Divide into Pine Valley for an overnight. The trail is wide open to Church Creek Divide then chest-high grass into Pine Valley. There was a new hatch of Deerflies which combined with the 90+ Degree heat made the hike out not much fun so the best hiking is at 1st daylight.
edormody

Postby pantilat on Tue May 29, 2018 11:19 am

Date Hiked: May 27, 2018

Enjoyed the work of recent trail crews all the way to Pine Ridge Camp. What used to be brushy as of a few weeks ago is now wilderness freeway from the Bear Basin Connector all the way to Pine Ridge Camp. One can now enjoy the spectacular views into Bear Basin and toward Ventana Double Cone throughout this entire section, and then once over Pine Ridge there are excellent views of the Big Sur River watershed. With the completion of recent trail work, it's Wilderness Freeway for 7.5 miles from China Camp to Pine Ridge Camp. Water is flowing at the Divide Camp, the headwaters of Carmel River and at Pine Ridge Camp Spring. Ceanothus is currently in full and prolific bloom and sections of the wide brush tunnel are completely white with strong flower fragrance.
pantilat

Postby jjjjeremy on Tue May 29, 2018 9:28 am

Date Hiked: May 28, 2018

Trail is park-quality between China Camp/Tassajara Dirt Road to Pine Valley Trail. No GPS needed, complete wilderness freeway.
jjjjeremy

Postby Jim Ringland on Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Date Hiked: May 6, 2018

Section: China Camp to Pine Ridge Camp

I hiked from China Camp to the Church Creek Divide on the 6th, then from the Divide to Pine Ridge Camp on the 7th.

The ACE trail crew was just finishing up as I went through. The entire length of this section is now either Wilderness Freeway or Clear. Where they worked to clear brush and smooth the trailbed, it’s Freeway. Where they thought the existing path was good enough, it’s a narrower, slightly more irregular, Clear trail. About the only quibble I could offer is that there is a fair amount of angled trailbed, even on newly worked sections. The crew was working residual trailbed issues on 7th as I went by, but I don’t think they have the weeks to clean up all. (And given limited time, making a wide, brush-free swath was the right priority.) There’s a bit of slumping in spots on the Clear sections too.

The trail crew worked the lateral to Pine Ridge Camp. It’s a little slice of Wilderness Freeway.

Nice to meet Betsy on the trail on the 6th.

The burned sections have *lots* of wildflowers. On the first ascent from the trailhead, I was a surprised by the sheets and sheets of miner’s lettuce, with their little white flowers, carpeting the ground. Over the first rise there are a few large patches of Eastwood's baby blue eyes (Nemophila pulchella). It's a little more purple than the ordinary baby blue eyes (N. menziesii). And it's named for Alice, not Clint. But the biggest show came a little farther on: fields of lupines (mostly Lupinus bicolor), in burned-out chaparral, mixed variously with linanthus, popcorn flower, gilia, and chia. The section from Church Creek Divide to Pine Ridge Camp burned less and was less flowery.

The rattlesnakes were out. I had to detour around one on 6th and had one slither away, after a brief stand-off, on the 7th.
Jim Ringland

Postby BirdSong on Mon May 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Date Hiked: May 4, 2018

Beautiful trip from China Camp to Pine Valley. MINIMAL poison oak on the trail which was a relief to me. Minor spots of encroaching brush but basically the best conditions overall I've seen in years. Lots of water, green grass, lupine in bloom. Nothing to fear but watch out for rattlers, a few were reported to us by fellow hikers. ENJOY

***One note: one of our party lost an expensive dental appliance/retainer at the creekside camp closest to Jack English's cabin gate. It is clear plastic and was left on the grass. If found please send to [MG, 243A 4th Ave, SF, CA 94118] --- $50 REWARD!!!*** Thanks.
BirdSong

Postby Tom N on Sat May 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Date Hiked: April 29, 2018

Hike the Pine Ridge trail from Black Cone trail junction to China Camp as part of a loop. Recent trail work was completed up to a point west of the junction with Black Cone trail. This has made it clear with no encroaching brush and decent tread between the Black Cone junction and China Camp. There was water a three spots between Bear Basin connector and the Church Creek/Pine Valley divide. Thanks to all the volunteer workers and donations that made it possible.
Tom N

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails