Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Mount Carmel Trail

Mount Carmel Trail

Re: Mount Carmel Trail

Postby jpdoelman on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:37 am

Date Hiked: April 11, 2021
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The "Lot of brush to push through" reported in the last status report is becoming a real problem so the "Difficult" rating.
jpdoelman

Postby Alan Harder on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:28 pm

Date Hiked: February 5, 2021
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The middle portion between Devil's Peak and Mount Carmel has a lot of brush to push through, but no major obstacles. The trail is a bit hard to follow in a couple places, but following the ridge you can't get far off track.
Alan Harder

Postby casserly79 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:14 pm

Date Hiked: February 1, 2020

Started at The Hoist. Followed Long Ridge Road until the trail turnoff. The trail all the way to Skinner Ridge was clear and easy to follow. There was minimal poison oak. I brought my clippers and trimmed back any encroaching brush. From Skinner Ridge, I first continued along the trail which remained easy to follow, but had patches of what appeared to be Buckthorn growing in places. I also trimmed back some of this brush. The trail reconnected with the firebreak, and since it was mostly brush free with a shorter direct route, I followed this to Devils Peak. The trail from Devil's Peak to Mt Carmel was in the poorest condition, however I would still rate it passable. What made it slightly more difficult was the brushy oak that covered this section, as it is harder to trim and slightly prickly to pass through. By this point, you can see the summit so route finding is trivial; just stay atop the ridge. One the way back, I took the firebreak along Skinner Ridge all the way down because it is more direct. Our group only spotted two ticks along the way. 13 miles, 4k ft gain RT. GPS track can be found in link below.
https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1322134
casserly79

Postby Jim Ringland on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Date Hiked: April 18, 2019

Not a lot of change from the earlier reports. There's now as small cairn at the junction with the Ventana Double Cone Trail, but it may not be real obvious where the trail goes. Contour a bit left rather than going up the hill. Heading on, it's mostly thin but follow-able trail, although near the summit one is sometimes just threading between shrubs on otherwise open gravelly ground. Since the route basically follows a ridge out to the high point, there are no real route-finding issues even where the trail is faint.

The views from Mt. Carmel are limited by all the standing burnt-out shrub oak stalks, although there's a nice open vista to the sea. I opted not, but by clambering up on the rocks, you could probably get a pretty decent 360 degree vantage. The old post you could once climb on for a better view is long gone, but some of the hardware remains.
Jim Ringland

Postby gene a on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 pm

Date Hiked: December 3, 2018

The junction with the Big Pines Trail is not marked. The trail is mostly clear with some encroaching brush. Near the summit the tread has washed away leaving little trace, but the route is clear. There are a few orange flags marking the route.
gene a

Postby edormody on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Date Hiked: December 1, 2017

It's quite a haul up Pine Creek Trail (from White Rock GC) to Mt Carmel and back because Bottcher's is not an option but the fire really cleared out the brush. The trail isn't marked but it's pretty easy to figure out the way to the top. Quite a change from the last time we fought our way through the brush in 2015 only to be rewarded with fleeting views of the area. Now the 360-degree view from the top of the boulders is spectacular! No trace of the pole but now one can see the remnants of the old lookout (drainpipes broken glass). BTW the table at Coming Cabin made it but there's quite a bit of downed trees on the trail off the ridge to the camp.
Attachments
Mt Carmel.jpg
Summit of Mt Carmel
edormody

Postby Vollset on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Date Hiked: November 12, 2014

As others have remarked - not much of a view from trail, and once you get up there, it's now (Nov 2014) limited views north towards Carmel Valley. The pole mentioned in many guide books is more of a stump :)

Trail is not very easy to follow any more - glad I had GPS; much encroachment I had to push through at points. That combo makes it Passable, but not Clear in my book
Vollset

Postby kaweah on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Date Hiked: December 29, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

This trail was indicated by a sign at the main (Skinner Ridge/Double Cone) trail. I ran up and down this trail at sunset/dusk to get a snapshot (of the sunset), and had no problem following the trail. Granted, I rarely had any idea where I was in that rabbithole of a trail, but I rarely had any doubt where the trail was. I remember one deadfall, and that had an easy detour. A memorable experience, to be sure. "I'll be back."
kaweah

Postby RSIBryce on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Date Hiked: December 10, 2012

Trail is not designated via signage while traveling along Big Pines but is clear you are almost there from atop Devil's Peak you can see Mt. Carmel to the north. Keep walking along Big Pines eastly and two trails go off to the left, take the one on the left of the two on the left. Trail has seen recent work and while narrow is passable through the thick brush; probably grows back quick. If you don't mind getting on top of the rocks up there you are treated to a fabulous view of the area, including Monterrey Bay and Santa Cruz Mountains, and east to what we were pretty sure was the Sierra. The register up there was fun to read, lots of folks have left entries the past few years.
RSIBryce

Postby RSI SamE on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Date Hiked: December 8, 2012

Mount Carmel Trail
Twixt Skinner Ridge Trail
And Mount Carmel
• Trail: Clear
• People: 0
• Signage: No sign for this trail, but trail is obvious, junction near top of Devil's Peak.
RSI SamE

Next

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails