Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Little Sur Trail

Little Sur Trail

Re: Little Sur Trail

Postby fat popi on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:32 am

Date Hiked: April 10, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

I put in 2, 5hour days this week on little sur trail from granite creek boundrie to pico public. Lots of far from pristine,fthere is only one 200 yrd section left to be lopped. Not much I can do about the slumping. Only 1 major deadfall left. Trail is on the way back to "CLEAR" condition with another day of work..
fat popi

Postby hydrologic on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Date Hiked: April 4, 2015

the first two miles of the trail from the gate at old coast road to the beginning of the climb after crossing the creek are pretty clear. There is some encroaching poison oak but not bad. About 0.5 miles up the climb the brush gets increasingly bad and the trail slumps a lot. There are a few easy to navigate dead falls. The brush isn't too bad as its mainly soft but there is a lot of PO intermingled so beware of that. The trail is pretty narrow and has a lot of side slope and slumpage with a few sketchy wash outs. This goes on like this for about 3 miles until just before the connection to PBPC. Some tread work and some clearing is evident but a few days spent on that 3 mile section woudl restore this trail to pristine condition. It's such a great section. From PBPC connector the rest of the way to Launtz ridge the trail was much more clear and the tread was nearly perfect.
hydrologic

Postby fatpopi on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Date Hiked: March 2, 2015
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

What a diffearance a few weeks can make. Went out for 5 days for birthday bbq,dayhikes. Trail has gotten overgrown in just a few weeks,vetch and sweet peqs crowding, en crouching on trail. 1 mile section is bad. As far as ive always seen this trail in that condition. Not a soul monday thru sat we had a blast. gsgoing back with loppers in few weeks...

[Editor note: section hiked not stated - assume is from west end to Pico Blanco Public Camp]
fatpopi

Postby mfalkon on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 am

Date Hiked: February 28, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Set out from Pico Blanco Scout Camp to Pico Blanco Public Camp. Rained off and on that whole day, so made for some slippery conditions. Other than that, the trail was clear of all obstructions, save for one or two trees that required ducking under a bit. Great hike!
mfalkon

Postby Steve B on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Date Hiked: February 23, 2015

The Little Sur Trail (1E03) is clear of all down trees between the Boy Scout Camp to Pico Blanco Public Camp. The large redwood in ‘Duveneck Hole’ was also cleared. The trail is still brushy in places but easy to follow. The trail from ‘tick meadow’ down to Pico Blanco Camp is still brushy and rocky but open.
From Pico Blanco Public Camp 1.3 miles toward the Old Coast Road the VWA Trail Crew cleared the trail of all down trees, restored the trail where it had slumped, and brushed the very bad parts (32 trees were removed from the trail) The trail is still very brushy and there are many places where the trail has slumped and is difficult to navigate.
There is still a lot of work to be done between the Old Coast Road and Pico Blanco Public Camp so it is best to hike in from the Boy Scout Camp.
Attachments
little sur bft.jpg
Large redwood in Duveneck Hole
little sur_875.jpg
Steve B

Postby fat popi on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Date Hiked: January 1, 2015

I did my annual nye at pico and cleared 12 deadfalls from the wind storm in dec. Only 2 major trees left to cut when the work crews come thru.
Then hiked to jackson, circular pool. Cirxular pool has huge landslide, must rename "semi circular pool " now. Along the way, one major madrone down on launtz ridge. I cleared the other 7 deadfalls between boyscout and pico.
2 deaffalls on jackson trail, light work, but I had mo saw on that day.
On side note, lots of jokers being sent to pico from big sur ranger station, some with instructions to walk on the road, DO NoT Walk On The ROAD!
fat popi

Postby YNVNE1 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:44 am

Date Hiked: January 13, 2015

We hiked in from Old Coast Road to Pico Blanco Camp. I suppose everyone's assessment is relative but in my opinion this trail is clear and in much better condition than other trails in the Ventana Wilderness. Some people had evidently gone through and done some clearing earlier. I cleared some brush and fallen branches as well. There is one section of the trail that gets a little hairy as it switchbacks up out of the redwoods and into the hillside. It can get steep but it's an absolutely beautiful and rewarding trail.
YNVNE1

Postby jdoelman on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:16 am

Date Hiked: November 8, 2014

Hiked the section from Pico Boyscout camp to Pico public camp. No real difficulties found though I missed one switchback when hiking back toward boyscout camp. That missed switchback made me walk an extra 40 ft before I had to turn-around and find the error.

I noted that there is a new picnic table, made from a local split redwood log just west of the Launtz ridge. Apparently the homesteader/owners of that parcel are upgrading that site.
The waterfall at pico camp is more beautiful than ever as the tree that was stuck in it is now gone. I also walked the creek from Pico public to launtz creek and to launtz camp. There is water flowing at Launtz camp and it looks like a nice campsite.
jdoelman

Postby Hydro-Logic on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Date Hiked: October 28, 2014

perfect conditions as it had rained a little a few days prior. clear tread. very little encroaching brush. a few downed tress to get over but a VWA crew was busy working so I suspect much of the them will be cleared. Thanks VWA for keeping Ventana accessible and beautiful.
Hydro-Logic

Postby Fat Popi on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:47 am

Guest wrote:Date Hiked: July 4, 2014
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Hiked in from old coast road. Initial section along the creek was gorgeous and great conditions. From the road crossing to Pico Blanco was the most miserable hike of my life. 2 miles of squeezing through brush, Around p.o., and climbing over washed out sections of trail. Passable, yes, but i highly recommend you avoid this trail if possible. Thankfully we found our way to the dirt road for the hike out. Site was very nice & waterfall gorgeous, but can someone tell me what is the deal with people squatting in camp sites? 2 nights in a row, we returned from day hikes to find people had set up camp in our site. I wouldn't have minded sharing if they had approached me politely and asked, but the way these people acted like they had a right to my site was astounding.

The Most Miserable hike of ur life? LOL Stay out of the backcountry if this is truly the Most Miserable,cause this trail is in alot better shape then most.

Day hiked out from old coast rd to pico camp and then summit and back. Left at 9 am,got to camp at 1,summit at 230 and back out to road at 830.
Trail in pretty good shape(for that trail) PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY OF THE ROADS ON PICO,THESE ARE PRIVATE AND U PUT AT RISK OUR ACCESS TO THIS TRAIL.
Please remember this.
Fat Popi

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails