Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Cone Peak Trail

Cone Peak Trail

Re: Cone Peak Trail

Postby C M Heard on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Date Hiked: May 31, 2011
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

I generally concur with Rob Yang's report from 2011-04-24. Specific observations:

From the Cone Peak Road to the lookout spur trail junction: I recorded four blowdowns at various locations on the trail, not negotiable by saddle or pack stock, but all fairly easy for hikers to get over, plus two washouts and a large rockslide, all concentrated in a short section ending at one of the rock walls that was constructed last year by the MRD trail crew. The washouts are not too hard for hikers to negotiate but will probably require rock walls to be permanently repaired. The rockslide is quite a mess, and folks with really heavy loads may find it a bit difficult to negotiate (though day hikers and folks with light packs should have no problem). It came down right on top of the existing rock wall, which nonetheless survived:

IMG_0151.JPG
Rock slide on the Cone Peak Trail between the Cone Peak Road and the lookout trail junction

From the lookout spur trail junction to Trail Spring Camp: I recorded one minor blowdown, easily stepped over, and one place where the ceanothus had been crushed over into to the trail (probably by snow) and needs to be cut back:

IMG_0157.JPG
Encroaching brush between the lookout trail junction and Trail Spring Camp

Since I need to get in to Trail Spring Camp with an expedition camp in order to continue work on the Cone Peak Loop, fixing these problems will be a priority for me.

Mike Heard
C M Heard

Postby ACC on Tue May 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Date Hiked: May 2, 2011
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Traveled this trail with ease. No obstacles, no downed trees, trail in great shape. Trail condition is great.
ACC

Postby Rob on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Date Hiked: April 24, 2011

From Trail Spring up to the Cone Peak Lookout - Clear. Trail was in great condition all the way up.

From the lookout down to Cone Peak Road : Passable; there were 3-4 blowdowns and a couple of slides.
Rob

Postby rt1 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 am

Date Hiked: February 20, 2011

With the exception that the trail was under 4-10" of snow, the trail was in great condition. There were no deadfalls and the only difficult section was where a few small trees and rocks made a little step-over jumble about half way up. Cone Peak Road was closed and there was snow all the way down to Nacimiento Summit. Since the tread was reported good in the fall and there were no vegetation issues, I still can say this trail is clear.
rt1

Postby gfelsman on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Date Hiked: October 9, 2010

My wife and I had a chance to hike this trail on Saturday, October 9th. It was reasnably cool al the way to the top. Then we headed down the Trail Spring Connector to Trail Spring Camp. AS we reached the camp two backpackers were there cooling off for the afternoon. The bugs wer out at this camp so we preseed on up the Gamboa Trail to NCRT for a snack, then retunred along the NCRT to Cone Peak Road, then back to our cars before heading home.

All and all this ia a wonderful loop about 8 - 9 miles total with 2200 foot elevation gain and los along this route. The Ventana Wilderness Crews and forest Service have brushed this trail making it a pleasant hike.

Trail Conditions are as follows;

Cone Peak Trail to Summit; Clear, some encroaching brush particularly on the lower sections
Cone Peak to Trail Springs Camp via the Trail Springs Connector; Clear to Wilderness Freeway. a good protion of the trad had bee reqorked making hiking easy as we dropped 800 feet to camp.

Trail Spring Camp via Gamboa Trail to the NCRT; Clear, Lots of encroachng brush is beginning to fill in the trail.

NCRT to Cone Peak Road, Clear to Wilderness Freeway.
Attachments
Cone Peak View 2_800.jpg
gfelsman

Postby sugg on Tue May 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Date Hiked: May 15, 2010
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

This trail is basically in perfect shape. I traveled on this trail from Cone Peak Road over to Gamboa Trail. I didn't visit the lookout this time. No fog this time!!.... so views to the south go on forever. Some trail work since I've been up here - the little gullies have been filled.

I was most interested in the section heading down to Gamboa Trail... http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617079335/in/set-72157624084143828/ The trail work going down was/is awesome. You really forget where you are on this trail - it feels like the Sierras back in the area. This area would be enjoyable in the winter time with some snow. Trail Spring Camp was shady and there was ice water waiting to be filtered. Here's the start of Cone Peak Trail for me on Saturday http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4617689844/in/set-72157624084143828/
sugg

Postby C M Heard on Thu May 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Date Hiked: May 7, 2010
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

This trail was recently reworked by Forest Service crews, as noted in this report:

http://www.ventanawild.org/forum08/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=473#p2058

Here is a summary of the results of the work:

- With the possible exception of one narrow spot in the bluff area, the non-Wilderness part of the Cone Peak Trail (from the road to the lookout) is suitable for pack stock. The District packers will need to ride the trail to confirm this.

- With the exception of one climbing turn that is excessively steep, the Wilderness part of the Cone Peak Trail (from the lookout trail junction to Trail Spring Camp) is in excellent shape for hiking. The steep turn is the third one encountered when descending from the junction with the lookout spur trail.
C M Heard

Postby gfelsman on Sat May 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Date Hiked: May 1, 2010

My wife and I hiked Cone Peak Road to Cone Peak today as the gate was locked. Needless to say it was a beautiful day with great views as far as the eye could see. The weather was just perfect. We did not hike the entire Cone Peak Trail to the summit. but is was clear that trail crews have been working on this trail and were there this weekend as well. We did not see them. Lots of flowers along the trail and road.

The parts we did hike were effectively a wilderness freeway with great tread.

Cone Peak Road itself was just graded.

The flies will come visit you if the weather warms up so be prepared. They were most prevalent for us as we traveresed along the base of Cone Peak. No wind and warm temepratures.

Happy HIking.
gfelsman

Postby sugg on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Date Hiked: March 3, 2010

The trail was very clear and wide open, in my opinion. In some sections, where the trail is on a steep slope
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/4517094916/in/set-72157623843884742/
the rainstorms create little washouts, which are not that big - hop them, pay attention, don't slip. The bushes didn't seem to be pushing in much. The signs new and accurate. The rocky sections near the top were clear and safe. No water sources up here if you're here on a hot day - none that I saw on this trail. Really enjoyable trail taking you to the top - do it on a clear day and you will enjoy it more!! In the fog/clouds, I had no sense of being "up there".
sugg

Postby Rob on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Date Hiked: March 14, 2010

From Cone Peak Road up to the summit things seemed to be in pretty good shape, though winter storms seem to have resulted in some trail washouts in the usual places and a couple of small blowdowns. An example of one of the washouts -

Rob

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails