Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Cone Peak Trail

Cone Peak Trail

Re: Cone Peak Trail

Postby C M Heard on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Date Hiked: April 26, 2013
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

As reported in http://www.ventanawild.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1125#p6983, CCC Crew 5 from the Los Padres Center in San Luis Obispo and sawyers from the crew of Engine 17 at Pacific Valley have fixed all remaining major problems with this trail.

Segment: Cone Peak Road to Cone Peak Lookout
This portion of the trail is pack stock passable. The brushy section near the Cone Peak Road is starting to show some minor encroachment into the clearing limits, but it's not really an obstacle to hikers or livestock . There are about a half-dozen yucca plants near the trail that need to be grubbed out (most of them on the spur trail up to the lookout), but the barbs have been trimmed so that they will not stab the unsuspecting animal or hiker.

Segment: Lookout Trail Junction to Trail Spring Camp
All of the trees have been removed,and all of the stumpholes, washouts, and other major tread issues have been repaired. Some of the repairs have left sections of trail that are a bit steeper or narrower than desired, but they are a huge improvement on what was there before. All switchbacks have been cleared, and all encroaching brush has been cut back.
C M Heard

Postby Jim Ringland on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Date Hiked: April 17, 2013

Section: Trail Spring Camp to the Cone Peak Summit (northwest half)

Mike Heard, a professional sawyer, and the CCC folks have probably worked this trail since I walked it, so this report may be out of date as I post it. Even before their work, all was in good condition save some detours around the holes left by uprooted trees and around one yet-to-be-removed monster log. By now those holes and that log may have been tidied up.

The tribulations associated with the December 2011 wind events have been reported elsewhere, but somehow I hadn't realized that almost all of the giant trees that came down were sugar pines (with one or two Santa Lucia firs). There are plenty of young pines coming up, but given this is an isolated, remnant sugar pine population, all that destruction seems like more than the usual loss.
Jim Ringland

Postby StevieRay on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Date Hiked: April 17, 2013

Kudos to Mike Heard and the VWA Trail Crew for restoring the stunning "Cone Peak Loop" to such a clear condition. I almost cried with delight as I traversed superb treadwork, massive log sawing, and epic brush clearing, enabling a spectacular and worry free adventure in such spectacular scenery and diverse plant communities. I'm ready to go back and hike it again. Bravo!!! I vote for keeping the Cone Peak Road closed to the public. I think the closure significantly enhances the wilderness experience in this special corner of Ventana.
StevieRay

Postby Rob on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Date Hiked: April 14, 2011
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Hiked from Trail Spring up to the lookout, and it was in great shape. Only two small downed trees near Trail Spring, which seemed to have been flagged already. There were also a few detours around some larger trees, but no real obstructions.

From the lookout on down to Cone Peak Road was a wilderness freeway: clear sailing. Wildflowers in full effect.
Rob

Postby Virginia Jensen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Date Hiked: April 10, 2013

the Cone Peak is in excellent repair. As we hiked it today we met Mike Heard removing a dead tree and root than was hanging over the trail. With that obstruction gone, the trail was perfect. The weather was brilliant and the wild flowers abundant. This was our first time up to the peak and it was a day to be remembered. Thanks to all the wonderful volunteers who have been maintaining the trails. Your efforts are appreciated. Virginia Jensen, Judy West, Louis Plevel, Fritz Thom
Virginia Jensen

Postby Al Normandin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Date Hiked: April 8, 2013

Hiked Cone peak trail on April 8, 2013 from Naciemento-Ferguson Road summit to Cone Peak. A Ventana Alliance trail crew member told me the Cone Peak Road has been closed to vehicular traffic since March 2011 and will be open only after the National Forest Service obtains funds to repair the road. The trail to Cone Peak is in very good shape with no obstacles.
Al Normandin

Postby Slrlara on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Date Hiked: April 4, 2013

Beautiful trail and well worth the 15.8 miles round trip. Come peak road is closed so you have to hike 6 miles to get to the trail head. From the trail head to the top of Cone peak is another 1.9 miles. The trail is not hard but if you're carrying a backpack it can be a little difficult. About 2 miles in we were able to purified some water and fill up our water bottles, but I believe that's only because it rained the night before, had it been mid summer or warmer, this trail would not have had a water source and we would have been in a lot of trouble. This is more of a day hike, or overnight trip with a light pack mainly because I the lack of water. For your safety take a good amount of water up, or you can be in a lot of trouble especially in the hot summer days.

There are a lot of ticks on this trail, try not to sit on the edges or near the brush, of you're resting on come peak road. The trail up cone peak also has a lot of ticks so keep moving and check yourself for ticks if you feel something or once you get to the top.

It is extremely beautiful at The top of Cone Peak, you can seriously just stare at that view for hours. Well worth it but please keep it clean, I saw some trash on the trail, and at the top. Remember to carry out what you bring in.
Slrlara

Postby Al Normandin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Date Hiked: March 4, 2013

Trail very clear with only one fallen tree crossing the trial. The trail was wide and I received no scratches hiking in shorts. The road was closed to vehicles so I had to hike the extra 6 miles from Naciemento-Ferguson Road summit to get to the traihead.
Al Normandin

Postby RSIBryce on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Date Hiked: February 11, 2013

Section: From Cone Peak Rd. to Cone Peak and the Lookout tower

The trail is clear and in good condition, well marked. We hiked through some snow at the beginning, north facing areas. Gorgeous view from the top, what an extraordinary area, can see everything!
RSIBryce

Postby sugg on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:10 am

Date Hiked: January 5, 2013

Section from Trail Springs Camp to the intersection with the lookout: The trail was mostly covered with snow:http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/8355881975/in/set-72157632460209298 There was lots of fallen trees which for the most part had been cleared - I didn't have to crawl over anything. There were a few tree root holes and the snowy trail moved around them. I traveled along the trail with no problems - no brush or anything to slow a person down.

Section from lookout intersection to Cone Peak Road: - This part of the trail is wide open, county park clear. http://www.flickr.com/photos/38029403@N03/8355886675/in/set-72157632460209298

Cone Peak Road from Cone Peak Trail to the top of Vicente Flat Trail: - The road was clear, but as I got closer to the VF trailhead I did notice what looked like the beginning of slide/ washout marked with ribbon/caution tape about a 1/4 mile - 1/2 mile (?) above VF trailhead. If a person wants to make a quick jump to the lookout tower, park at Nacimiento Fergusson, and then mountain bike over to the Cone Peak tailhead or the North Coast trailhead.
sugg

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails