Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Cone Peak Trail

Cone Peak Trail

Re: Cone Peak Trail

Postby Bill on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Date Hiked: January 19, 2014
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

The trail is clear with only minor encroachment from brush. There is no water on this trail all the way from Gamboa Trail to Cone Peak Road.

The trail is well maintained and is very easy to follow.
Bill

Postby gfelsman on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Date Hiked: October 5, 2013

Darlene, I and 5 others hiked the Cone Peak Loop on Saturday. While the weather was warm, in SLO and surrounding areas, we were treated to high 60's and low 70's the entire day. We could see forever on this day. Thanks must go to all who have worked this trail over the years. The entire loop was in good condition, with some encroaching brush now and then. a few narrow spots on some steep sections. we had a great time on this trail

Conditions are as follows.

Cone Peak Road to Summit Clear, with minor encroaching brush now and then. Other parts Wilderness Freeway Status.

From Cone Peak down the Trail Spring Connector, the actual continuation of the Cone Peak Trail was clear. Lots of work went into this trail since my last visit. numerous trees were cut and used to shore up this section of the trail.

Once at Trail Spring the trails turns into the Gamboa Trail. Trail Springs Trail had a small trickle of water to fill empty water bottles in a few minutes.

Though this should be posted on the Gamboa Trail. This 1.5 mile section is clear with encroaching brush in many sections. Trail is easy to follow on the climb to North Coast Ridge Trail

The North Coast Ridge Trail back to Cone Peak Road is clear. A few steep sections with loose rocks.

It was a great hike.
Attachments
Trailwork example on Trail Spring Connector Trail.jpg
Lots of Trailwork
Looking south from Cone Peak.jpg
Looking South from Cone Peak
Dar on Cone Peak_1024.jpg
Darlene at the Cone Peak Lookout
gfelsman

Postby Jonathan on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Date Hiked: September 4, 2013

The Cone Peak trail from the trailhead (elev. 3800) is in good shape and generally well graded for the 2+ miles to the Fire Lookout Spur. Trail is exposed 90% of the time which makes for great views and plenty of sweat. 360 degree panoramic views from the boarded-up fire lookout at top are spectacular (and the lookout provided some nice shade). From the spur down to Trail Spring Camp the trail descends steeply over 1000 feet. Very rare Sugar Pine/ Santa Lucia Fir forest persists down the entire slope. It seems that two major events (a fire and a blow-down) have killed many of the sugar pines, many thanks to whoever chainsawed the many fallen trees off the trail (including a 6+ plus diameter Sugar Pine!) At Trail Spring Camp there's a small trickle of running water. Flies pretty bad the whole way. Continued up the Gamboa Trail to make it a loop hike. Saw only four other people the whole day! :)
Jonathan

Cone Peak Trail

Postby jbl on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:54 am

Date Hiked: August 10, 2013

The Cone Peak Trail is Wilderness Freeway to Clear for its entire length. The only issues are erosion on a few spots along the section from the Cone Peak Road trailhead and the Cone Peak spur trail, and some brush encroachment (mostly ceanothus) at spots in the first mile towards Cone Peak. Water is flowing at Trail Spring Camp. Three Cal Poly students were setting up at Trail Spring when we arrived. They were at Cook Spring the prior night and reported that the water flow over there was very low.
jbl

Postby dirtgirl on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Date Hiked: June 16, 2013
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

My friend and I hiked the trail from Highway 1 to Vicente Flat with backpacks, stayed overnight, and then did the Cone Peak hike and back to Vicente the following day, packing back down one day later. 3 days total, 10 backpacking (split by 2 days), 12 hiking. We were misinformed by a ranger that the water source was questionable and packed with 65 and 75 lb. packs!!! It took us 8 hours to do the 5 miles to Vicente, and we were pretty beat for the day hike to the peak (taking nearly 12 hours with breaks). There was plenty of water in the creek just past Espinosa Camp and past Vicente Flat.

The hike is incredible, and the trail could not be in better condition! Thank you trail stewards!
dirtgirl

Cone Peak Trail

Postby jbl on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:49 am

Date Hiked: June 15, 2013

THIS REPORT COVERS THE SECTION FROM THE CONE PEAK LOOKOUT SPUR TURNOFF DOWN TO TRAIL SPRING CAMP

Wow!!!!!!!!

As someone who hasn't been on this section of the trail since before the forest of fallen trees was cleared, I was blown away by the amount of work that has been done and the quantity of trees (many very large) that had to be cut.

As Mike Heard pointed out in his earlier report, the trail is slightly steeper and slightly narrower than optimal in a few spots. But the fact that you can now walk the entire length of this trail without having to step over, crawl over or under, or do a (typically major) detour around (with most detours involving close encounters with poison oak), a single tree, is quite a change.

PS-The water was flowing nicely at Trail Spring.
jbl

Postby kho on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Date Hiked: June 3, 2013
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Cone Peak Road from Nacimiento-Fergusson Road to Cone Peak Trail trailhead is open!
(The gate was open.)

Cone Peak Road (from Nacimiento-Fergusson Road) to Cone Peak Trail trailhead:
The unpaved road itself was in relatively good condition. However, there was a lot of pebbles on the road.
I was worried that my 2WD low-clearance vehicle would get a flat tire from the pebbles, so I drove at a max of 5mph,
and it took me about 50 min to cover those 5 miles. If you are not worried about flat tires you can probably go much
faster on that road. There was parking space at the trailhead (on a weekday).

Stretches of this road are 1-lane only, so if there is opposing traffic someone would have to reverse quite some distance.

Cone Peak Trail/Cone Peak Summit Trail to Cone Peak (summit/lookout):
The trail is in excellent condition. No obstruction. A big thank you to all the volunteers who kept the
trail in this condition. The view at the summit is incredible.

There was one unmarked junction on the trail on the way to the summit. Take the right fork (uphill) and it will take
you to the summit.

KH
kho

Postby C M Heard on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Date Hiked: April 26, 2013

As reported in http://www.ventanawild.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1125#p6983, CCC Crew 5 from the Los Padres Center in San Luis Obispo and sawyers from the crew of Engine 17 at Pacific Valley have fixed all remaining major problems with this trail.

Segment: Cone Peak Road to Cone Peak Lookout
This portion of the trail is pack stock passable. The brushy section near the Cone Peak Road is starting to show some minor encroachment into the clearing limits, but it's not really an obstacle to hikers or livestock . There are about a half-dozen yucca plants near the trail that need to be grubbed out (most of them on the spur trail up to the lookout), but the barbs have been trimmed so that they will not stab the unsuspecting animal or hiker.

Segment: Lookout Trail Junction to Trail Spring Camp
All of the trees have been removed,and all of the stumpholes, washouts, and other major tread issues have been repaired. Some of the repairs have left sections of trail that are a bit steeper or narrower than desired, but they are a huge improvement on what was there before. All switchbacks have been cleared, and all encroaching brush has been cut back.
C M Heard

Postby Jim Ringland on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Date Hiked: April 17, 2013

Section: Trail Spring Camp to the Cone Peak Summit (northwest half)

Mike Heard, a professional sawyer, and the CCC folks have probably worked this trail since I walked it, so this report may be out of date as I post it. Even before their work, all was in good condition save some detours around the holes left by uprooted trees and around one yet-to-be-removed monster log. By now those holes and that log may have been tidied up.

The tribulations associated with the December 2011 wind events have been reported elsewhere, but somehow I hadn't realized that almost all of the giant trees that came down were sugar pines (with one or two Santa Lucia firs). There are plenty of young pines coming up, but given this is an isolated, remnant sugar pine population, all that destruction seems like more than the usual loss.
Jim Ringland

Postby StevieRay on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Date Hiked: April 17, 2013

Kudos to Mike Heard and the VWA Trail Crew for restoring the stunning "Cone Peak Loop" to such a clear condition. I almost cried with delight as I traversed superb treadwork, massive log sawing, and epic brush clearing, enabling a spectacular and worry free adventure in such spectacular scenery and diverse plant communities. I'm ready to go back and hike it again. Bravo!!! I vote for keeping the Cone Peak Road closed to the public. I think the closure significantly enhances the wilderness experience in this special corner of Ventana.
StevieRay

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails