Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Bee Camp Trail-Upper

Bee Camp Trail-Upper

Re: Bee Camp Trail-Upper

Postby wavejumper on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:08 am

Date Hiked: June 14, 2012
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

I was disappointed, having read this forum, that when it came time to find Bee Camp, I couldn't - and I needed the water, too :roll: I did find the small rock cairn but the "low bushes" they mention seem to have grown. I found myself pushing through very tall and thickly-grown coyotobrush and ceonathus and who knows what all - it was getting dark, given, but I wasn't able to find my way through and finally gave up in frustration and just continued north on the Coast Ridge; was luckily able to get some water from some neighbors.
wavejumper

Bee Camp Trail-Upper

Postby ldrucker on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 am

Date Hiked: July 1, 2011
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The campsite is in good condition with good water source, BUT....
It is extremely difficult to find the trail to the campsite. We restacked the rock marker on the Old Coast Trail. After the road ends the Old Coast Trail begins (Jeep Trail with overgrown brush) go around the hill then the entrance to the Upper Bee trail is on the right. Note where my friend is standing is the entrance to the trail.
2011-07-02_10-22-04_653.jpg
Entrance to Upper Bee Trail from Old Coast Trail
If you see a yellow diamond marker with LB2U you have gone too far. Push through the brush at the stone marker. In less than 50 ft it will open up into a jeep path. Down to a gully, then 125 feet turn right into another gully. Go under fallen Oak then to left. Campsite is flat. H2O is plentiful. We heard ring-tailed Cats in the night. Never saw them but they were LOUD! Flies during the day and bees in the morning inspired us to break camp and get back on the trail.
We made the mistake of just going down the first gully we found rather than the trail. We found water flowing after hard bushwacking but no good campsites. Following the trail is a MUST!
ldrucker

Upper Bee Camp Trail Conditions Report

Postby Site Administrator on Thu May 07, 2009 4:07 pm

Date Hiked: December 22, 2006
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Conditions reported by: EW
Survey date: 22-DECEMBER-2006
General: CLEAR
Specific:

Section: Coast Ridge to Upper Bee Camp - Clear

Bee Camp Trail begins at a rock cairn, winds through low brush (the only tricky section) then joins an old firebreak which descends to the seasonal stream. No major obstacles.
===========
Conditions reported by: J Doelman
Survey date: 1-OCTOBER-2005
General: DIFFICULT
Specific:

The turn off to Lower Bee Camp is reasonably well marked at the top of a dry creek-bed. The marker is a metal band labeled 'lower bee' wrapped around a football size rock. The going gets tougher from there. We looked for the 'burnt chaparral' and the flags but didn't find either. We followed a trail which turned into a sort of tunnel trail as it tunneled steeply down toward the Lower Bee Camp. The trail seemed to dead-end in a small clearing with ferns and grass about 100 ft north and above the gurgling Lower Bee Camp creek. This was about 1/4 mile from the North Fork of Big Creek. A short bushwhack gets you to the North Fork of Big Creek in the vicinity of the Lower Bee Camp. I never saw it.
Site Administrator
Site Admin

Bee Camp Trail-Upper

Postby Site Administrator on Thu May 07, 2009 4:05 pm

* USFS trail #-
* Parking:
* Watersheds: Big Creek
* Junctions: Coast Ridge Trail
* Connect: The Coast Ridge Trail with the Bee Camps
* Camps: Upper Bee Camp, Lower Bee Camp
Site Administrator
Site Admin