Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

Re: Vicente Flat Trail (Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp)

Postby Harrison Heyl on Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Date Hiked: August 11, 2020
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Poison oak report: Not bad up to Vicente Flats Camp. After reading the 5/30/20 post, I was worried the poison oak might pose a hazard, so I wore long leg tights and a long-sleeve shirt on my ascent. But that was unnecessary, and I wore shorts and a short-sleeve shirt on my descent. However, two hikers I spoke to said ABOVE Vicente Flats Camp, the poison oak was quite thick and invasive on the trail.
Water report: The creek was dry at Vicente Flats Camp, but there was a spring in the creek bed near the bottom of the camp that was flowing nicely, providing plenty of water. There was also water flowing in the creek crossing the trail just past Espinosa Camp.
Campsite availability: Good on a Monday evening, 8/10/20. I arrived at Vicente Flats Camp about 4:15 p.m., and of the approximately dozen campsites, only one was taken. Several more were claimed after I arrived; the campground seemed about half full by nightfall. Espinosa Camp--with two campsites--appeared unoccupied by campers on my ascent and was unoccupied around 5 p.m. on Tuesday, 8/11/20, on my descent.
Overall: Awesome experience among the redwood trees at Vicente Flats Camp and surveying the views of the Big Sur coast along the trail. I expect I'll be back!
Harrison Heyl

Postby rcmd8418 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:05 am

Date Hiked: July 12, 2020

Camped at Vicente Flat and dayhiked to Cone Peak summit and back. Trail was clear and easy to follow, but with a decent amount of encroaching poison oak that was mostly avoidable with vigilant footwork. Creek was flowing nicely around Vicente Flat Camp, but after you leave the gully north of camp there was no more water through to the summit (pack plenty for the climb!).
rcmd8418

Postby plantsniffer on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:21 pm

Date Hiked: May 30, 2020
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

From Cone Peak Road to Vicente Flat Camp is mildly brushy but with good tread and no significant obstacles. There is a lot of poison oak mixed in with the patches of brush, even a few vines of it hanging at face height. There is no way to completely avoid getting brushed by the poison oak, so bring shears with you (I wish we had) or cover your body and pack while hiking.

There are a few stream crossings but simple enough if you cross with care. There is a good creek flow down at Vicente Flat Camp.
plantsniffer

Postby matthewmellea on Thu May 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Date Hiked: May 9, 2019

Trail clear and easy to follow from Cone Peak Rd to Vincente Flat Trail. Several stream crossings and some places where the trail splits and then recombines, but none large enough to really set you off track. A little bit of encroaching poison oak that will probably get worse as summer comes into full swing.
matthewmellea

Postby emlennon on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:18 am

Date Hiked: December 30, 2018
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

The trail is in great shape! Super easy to follow, plenty of water, no fallen trees.
emlennon

Postby MN86 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 am

Date Hiked: August 12, 2018

Trail was very clear with the exception of some poison oak encroaching on the trail here and there. Water is flowing about 1/2 mile above Vicente Flat Camp, and then the last chance to refill is about a mile past that, at the top of some steep switchbacks that take you out of the canyon. Lots of tread and easy to follow.
MN86

Postby rt1 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Date Hiked: July 14, 2018

This trail is in good condition with nothing that needs to be climbed over or crawled under. If it weren't for the knee high poison oak in places, which is basically the Ventana standard, I'd be comfortable doing it in shorts. We clipped most of the higher poison oak vines and branches that could whack you in the face or get hung up on your pack.

This trail can be steep in places, but the tread is in great condition.
rt1

Postby cel on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Date Hiked: April 23, 2018

Starting at Cone Peak Road, the corridor through the tall ceanothus is in great condition, with no regrowth or downed shrubs across the trail. Overhanging shrubs provided welcome shade in the afternoon. Downed trees were absent while poison oak was light as the trail switchbacked down to Hare Creek. Around halfway through the switchbacks, we spied Vicente Falls flowing down the opposite canyon. When I last hiked this trail in November, a massive downed redwood on the canyon floor posed a tedious obstacle. Since then a new route has been defined around this tree, and it didn't pose a problem on this trip. Stream crossings were straightforward and most didn't take much thought. Hare Creek was flowing vigorously and only went briefly below-ground near the Kirk Creek/Stone Ridge trail junction.
cel

Postby wombat_attack on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm

Date Hiked: November 12, 2017

Lots of water in the creek near Vicente flat even though we've only had one rain this season. No problems crossing it though. Trail is clear with intermittent poison oak, but didn't have to do any acrobatics to avoid it even with a 40lb backpack.
wombat_attack

Postby Maya7 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Date Hiked: June 24, 2017
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Once on the climb to Cone Peak from Vincente the oak diminished, though was present and the leaves already turning red. Trail out from Vincente to Stone Ck (long way to Cone Pk) was overgrown with poison oak and I turned back. I had Vincente all to myself 6/25! Very few people in the area on a Sunday. Lots of amazing young animal noises all night and tons of stellar jays! Happy hiking!
Maya7

Next

Return to Ventana Wilderness Trails