Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Bear Cannisters and Shovels? Pine Ridge Trip

Bear Cannisters and Shovels? Pine Ridge Trip

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Bear Cannisters and Shovels? Pine Ridge Trip

Postby JRR_on_SFP on Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:16 pm

VWA_Ranger wrote:FYI, Bear sighting at Barlow Flat just las weekend, 6-13-2021.

Welp, I guess that answers that question. Time to see if my Bear Vault will (actually) fit in my new, smaller backpack.

Thank you so much for the response and your work!
JRR_on_SFP

Postby VWA_Ranger on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:21 pm

FYI, Bear sighting at Barlow Flat just las weekend, 6-13-2021.
VWA_Ranger

Postby VWA_Ranger on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:55 am

If you have not heard, Bears are becoming an increasing presence in the Big Sur Region. The USFS Los Padres National Forest is now asking folks to be bear aware. We have had at least two known incidents of people interacting with bears in the last two weeks.

As you already know fire restrictions are in effect, thus no campfires. However you can still use a backpackers stove with a valid California Campfire Permit. You will need to make sure there is enough clearance from the stove to any flammable material.

As with any backpacking trip one needs to pack out everything they bring in including TP if possible. The Pine Ridge Trail Corridor can be quite busy and we want to keep the area as nice as possible.

Hope that helps.
Attachments
Bear Aware Sign for Silver Peak Wilderness Trailheads General.jpg
VWA_Ranger

Bear Cannisters and Shovels? Pine Ridge Trip

Postby JRR_on_SFP on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:25 am

Folks:

It's been awhile since I backpacked Big Sur, and I'm looking forward to revisiting my very first backpacking trail-Pine Ridge to Sykes (planning on actually staying at Barlow Flats because now I'm old and don't want to haul my pack to Sykes, which has always felt like the hardest part of the trip).

I see two new-to-me items coming up in the various permitting and discussion postings. Since I don't want to be that guy who ends up saying "but I never had to befoooorrrre" I thought I'd check here for perspectives.

1) Shovels. Are backpackers expected to have shovels if they are using a stove in places like Barlow Flats?

2) Bear cannisters. Yea or nay?

Thoughts appreciated!!
JRR_on_SFP

Return to Ventana Discussion