Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Water on the Pine Ridge Trail from China Camp to Redwood Cam

Water on the Pine Ridge Trail from China Camp to Redwood Cam

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Water on the Pine Ridge Trail from China Camp to Redwood

Postby Jim Ringland on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm

The perennial spring (really a stream that's one of the Carmel River headwaters) is about 3/4 mile west of the Divide Camp junction. The Big Sur Trailmap (https://bigsurtrailmap.net/) shows the spot.
Jim Ringland

Postby kmahony1 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:13 pm

Jim Powell wrote:The spring on the Pine Ridge Trail west of Divide Camp is perennial. The creek in Divide Camp only runs in winter and early spring (is my impression). Divide Camp is beautiful in February-March, if you can get in there, but, of course, COLD.

How far west of Divide Camp?
kmahony1

Postby Jim Powell on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:59 pm

The spring on the Pine Ridge Trail west of Divide Camp is perennial. The creek in Divide Camp only runs in winter and early spring (is my impression). Divide Camp is beautiful in February-March, if you can get in there, but, of course, COLD.
Jim Powell

Postby Jim Powell on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:57 pm

The spring on the Pine Ridge Trail west of Divide Camp is perennial. The creek in Divide Camp only runs in winter and early spring (is my impression). Divide Camp is beautiful in February-March, if you can get in there, but, of course, COLD.
Jim Powell

Postby BP22 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:04 am

I camped at Pine Ridge Camp on May 12 and the piped spring was flowing well
BP22

Water on the Pine Ridge Trail from China Camp to Redwood Cam

Postby kmahony1 on Mon May 31, 2021 7:05 pm

Hello.

Wondering where the water sources are along the PRT from China Camp to Redwood Camp.

I did backpack this trail in 2016 - at the height of the last drought - and there were thin streama of water trickling across the trail before and after the entrance to Divide Camp.

At Pine Ridge Trail Camp there was water at the spring/creek below the campground there.

Questions:

1. Are these water sources still active?

2. And is there water in the creek in Divide Camp itself this time? (In July 2016 there was no water at Divide Camp - only where water trickled across the PRT above the campground.)

Thank you.
kmahony1

Return to Ventana Discussion