Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Water in Logwood Creek

Water in Logwood Creek

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Water in Logwood Creek

Postby Betsy M on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:10 pm

I believe you can now get water at the tank at Cold Spring. Not the pipe coming out of the front of the tank but from a faucet off to the right, down along the road. But maybe carry a bit extra (as Jack suggests) from Pumphouse Spring? A couple of months ago Logwood Creek was barely flowing. Even though there was water 2 weeks ago, it could be dry now.

The first creek you come to after you drop off of Logwood Ridge, Cisco Creek, has never dried up (that I know of) and if you had to camp there, you could choose from a tiny little space at the first crossing, or a more roomy space just before the last crossing. You would recognize the last crossing by the huge redwood lying along the right side of the trail, that was cut twice. And the hunk of tree that was cut out, next to the little camp location.
Betsy M

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:51 pm

Getting water at Pumphouse Spring avoids having to carry all that water up the first 2/3 of the Boronda Trail.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby cmiroch on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:16 pm

cchan05 wrote:I'm planning on backpacking the same route next weekend. Since the first source is six miles in, do you pack in enough water to hold you over?

Any other tips would be much appreciated!

Yes - I just carried up 3 liters for that first hike, since I like to drink a lot of water. By the end of the day I'd had the opportunity to grab water from Cold Springs Camp (the spigot at the water tank was working, but there was also a nicer creek crossing just past the camp), or else at/on the way to Rainbow Camp. For context this was two weeks ago, but should be similar.
cmiroch

Postby cchan05 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:01 am

I'm planning on backpacking the same route next weekend. Since the first source is six miles in, do you pack in enough water to hold you over?

Any other tips would be much appreciated!
cchan05

Postby cmiroch on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:25 pm

That's extremely helpful, thank you!
cmiroch

Postby sfrake on Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:31 pm

I went through that route on 3/13/21 and there was water in Logwood Creek, Mocho Creek, and I think also (but not 100% sure) the creek at the bottom of the descent from Logwood Ridge, in between the two.
sfrake

Water in Logwood Creek

Postby cmiroch on Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:56 pm

I'm headed towards Rainbow Camp in a few days, from the Boronda Trail. Not having been there, I'm curious if anyone might've been through recently, or might know if there are water sources after the recent rains - for example in Logwood Creek just past Cold Spring Camp, or elsewhere nearby (but before reaching Rainbow).
cmiroch

Return to Ventana Discussion