Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Reputed Con Artist in Silver Peak Wilderness

Reputed Con Artist in Silver Peak Wilderness

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Reputed Con Artist in Silver Peak Wilderness

Postby EMAN on Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:36 am

I wanted to let y'all know he may be living in a similar area again. Went for a one nighter loop in Silver Peak the evening of the 24th, from Salmon creek trail, camped at lion den then summited & cross-countried to the Buckeye trail. On the cross country portion between silver peak camp and Buckeye, we came across what looked to be a homeless camp (seemed semi-permanent, definitely not my idea of backpacking gear),but did not see anyone there. There were definite signs of someone staying in this spot that I would consider intentionally out of the way.
EMAN

Postby Doelman on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:51 pm

https://www.backpacker.com/stories/thru ... est-trail/

Several years ago he was in Salmon Creek according to the above:

"spent several days hiding out in the trees behind the little-used Salmon Creek Guard Station, a defunct firehouse that sits within Los Padres National Forest, in Monterey County. "
Doelman

Postby Just sayin on Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 am

A link to a news story or a "most wanted" list would be helpful here, VWA.

With most of Monterey County's wilderness area trails and trailheads closed, telling us to avoid the whole of the Silver Peak is kind of a big ask. Especially since you've never similarly scared us about the foreign pot growing / arsonist gangs, who are probably at least as dangerous as this dude.
Just sayin

Reputed Con Artist in Silver Peak Wilderness

Postby VWA Admin on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm

James Parrillo.JPG
ALERT! The individual pictured has been recently encountered in the Silver Peak Wilderness. Proceed with caution & better yet, consider another destination while the U.S. Forest Service - Los Padres National Forest & Monterey County Sheriff's Office determine an appropriate response.
VWA Admin

Return to Ventana Discussion