Forums

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION - updated October 10, 2020

Despite the closure of public lands, many Big Sur businesses (including private campgrounds) are open for business. Call the business you wish to visit ahead of travel for hours of operation. 

As of 6 PM on 9/21/2020, Highway 1 is fully open along the Big Sur coast. 

Most other roads in the region are closed.   

US Forest Service Managed Lands - Though 98% contained as of this date, the Dolan Fire continues to burn in the Ventana Wilderness and its trails and backcountry camps are closed. The Silver Peak Wilderness remains closed. Effectively, the entire Monterey Ranger District of Los Padres National Forest is closed.  Click here for the Forest Closure Order dated 10/09/2020.  This link includes a Forest Closure Map.    

Fines for entering closed areas can be up to $10,000.  

State Parks

The following are open for day use:  Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Garrapata State Park - Soberanes Canyon Trail, Andrew Molera State Park, and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (go online or call to find out if their campgrounds are open) 

The following remain closed: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, John Little State Natural Reserve, Limekiln State Park, Point Sur State Historic Park 

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO (additional US Forest Service information for the Monterey Ranger District): Please note that the information above is oftentimes more up-to-date than the US Forest Service site. Call 831-385-5434 with questions. 

Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - What is below Pine Falls?

What is below Pine Falls?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: What is below Pine Falls?

Postby EricW on Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info! Also, great blog by the way.
EricW

Re: What is below Pine Falls?

Postby pantilat on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am

There's a couple cascades and mini pools downstream of that steep section but nothing like the well known Pine Falls and pool or even like that steep section which is a pretty multi-tiered waterfall when in decent flow. The river is mostly lazy for several miles downstream before it flows over another waterfall and into a short gorge section between Round Rock Camp and Hiding Canyon Camp.
pantilat

What is below Pine Falls?

Postby EricW on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 am

Hey everyone!

To preface this question, I think it's important to note that I absolutely do NOT have any intentions of entering the wilderness. I understand the closures currently in place and am not willing to risk the danger of current/potential fires or the consequences of criminal actions.

On to my question...
Earlier this summer I went on several overnight or weekend trips to Pine Valley. During one of our trips, we hiked down to Pine falls, and bumped into some people who asked me what was down the creek below the waterfall/swimming hole. I didn't know, so I decided to go check it out. After about 300 yards of walking downstream past the waterfall/swimming hole, I reached a point where the elevation dropped significantly. Not quite a cliff, but extremely steep. At this point, there was a new looking rope tied to a tree that would allow one to continue down the creek.

I decided not to pursue it because I was in flip flops, but ever since that trip, I've been wondering about this area. What's below the rope? Just more creek? Another swimming hole? Has anyone climbed down this rope into the next section of the creek? Is it worth adventuring down there? I'll probably check it out next summer if conditions allow, but it's been on my mind so figured I would ask here.

Eric

Also, yes, flip-flops, I know - terrible. I recently threw those out for a nice pair of Xero sandals haha.
EricW

Return to Ventana Discussion