Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - What is below Pine Falls?

What is below Pine Falls?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: What is below Pine Falls?

Postby Jim Powell on Thu May 27, 2021 5:45 pm

Once upon a time we were able to boulder-hop upstream a mile or so from Round Rock to the confluence with Blue Creek before running out of daylight. The confluence is a magic spot with a small waterfall at the foot of Blue Creek and, on our visit, a nearly lobster-size blue crayfish presiding over its pool. Blue, really. Eight inches long.

I heard, also once upon a time, that there is another, less passable waterfall below Pine Falls. We too clambered down below Pine Falls to the point where the drop off became too daunting. Perhaps that is the the top of the reported "less passable falls".

The venture up the creek from Round Rock is worth it but if you want to get further than Blue Creek you better start real early. The canyon is very narrow and gets virtually no direct sunlight and limited indirect.
Jim Powell

Postby EricW on Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info! Also, great blog by the way.
EricW

Postby pantilat on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am

There's a couple cascades and mini pools downstream of that steep section but nothing like the well known Pine Falls and pool or even like that steep section which is a pretty multi-tiered waterfall when in decent flow. The river is mostly lazy for several miles downstream before it flows over another waterfall and into a short gorge section between Round Rock Camp and Hiding Canyon Camp.
pantilat

What is below Pine Falls?

Postby EricW on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 am

Hey everyone!

To preface this question, I think it's important to note that I absolutely do NOT have any intentions of entering the wilderness. I understand the closures currently in place and am not willing to risk the danger of current/potential fires or the consequences of criminal actions.

On to my question...
Earlier this summer I went on several overnight or weekend trips to Pine Valley. During one of our trips, we hiked down to Pine falls, and bumped into some people who asked me what was down the creek below the waterfall/swimming hole. I didn't know, so I decided to go check it out. After about 300 yards of walking downstream past the waterfall/swimming hole, I reached a point where the elevation dropped significantly. Not quite a cliff, but extremely steep. At this point, there was a new looking rope tied to a tree that would allow one to continue down the creek.

I decided not to pursue it because I was in flip flops, but ever since that trip, I've been wondering about this area. What's below the rope? Just more creek? Another swimming hole? Has anyone climbed down this rope into the next section of the creek? Is it worth adventuring down there? I'll probably check it out next summer if conditions allow, but it's been on my mind so figured I would ask here.

Eric

Also, yes, flip-flops, I know - terrible. I recently threw those out for a nice pair of Xero sandals haha.
EricW

Return to Ventana Discussion