Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - All Los Padres National Forest is Now Closed

All Los Padres National Forest is Now Closed

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: All Los Padres National Forest is Now Closed

Postby Rob on Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:29 pm

I just went for a hike at Henry W. Coe State Park. The park was closed during the SCU lightning fires. About two thirds of the park burned; in November they re-opened the parts near headquarters and Hunting Hollow. There are barriers and signs advising people not to enter the burned areas.

The Pine Ridge Association (sort of like the VWA but for Coe) published a newsletter explaining some of the damage and extent of the burn. Most likely the rest of the park will not be open until late winter or spring, but that is just my guess. I remember the Lick Fire in 2007.

I visited a pond which was just on the border between the burned and unburned areas. I was surprised at how stark things looked. It still smelled ... burnt, even after our recent rain, which was not enough even to get the creeks running again.

We've had a pretty dry autumn. The rain we have gotten has been kind of paltry towards the south and east. I don't expect the Ventana to open up for a quite while. I'd suggest making other plans.
Rob

Re: All Los Padres National Forest is Now Closed

Postby redshift83 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:22 pm

At this point, I am 99.9% certain the fire is out and has been for weeks. Its obviously hard to be certain when you can't legally enter the forest. This feels like government overreach to fulfill other goals (stopping yahoo's from illegally dumping) at this point.
redshift83

All Los Padres National Forest is Now Closed

Postby gfelsman on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:56 pm

To all:

The USFS issued a temporary Closure of the Southern Forest including the Los Padres National Forest today, September 7th, 2020 @ 5 p.m. until further notice. Read the link below for more information.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/lpnf
gfelsman

Previous

Return to Ventana Discussion