Forums

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION - updated February 25, 2021 

ALERT: Due to a January 26-28 storm, Highway 1 is closed from Big Creek Vista Point in the south to just north of Lime Creek Bridge in the north. Long-term, there is a significant washout of the Highway 1 at Rat Creek (just north of Big Creek Reserve and just south of Esalen Institute). Expect this closure to be in place until summer 2021. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (which connects Highway 1 at Kirk Creek with Fort Hunter Liggett on the eastern side of the Coast Ridge) is also significantly damaged and may not be open for quite some time.  

Effective January 22, 2021 U.S. Forest Service - Los Padres National Forest has re-opened most unburned areas of the Monterey Ranger District. In and around the northern Ventana Wilderness, most lands north of and including the Marble Peak Trail are open. Wilderness camps in the backcountry can be accessed from the Arroyo Seco Recreation Area near Greenfield (off 101) or via Tassajara Road deep in the Carmel Valley. 

The Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Redwood Camp remains closed. 

Lands south of Willow Creek Road, including most of the Silver Peak Wilderness, are also open.

Most secondary roads (including Del Venturi/Milpitas, Nacimiento-Fergusson, Plaskett Ridge, Willow Creek/Los Burros, & South Coast Ridge roads) remain gated and closed. 

This map depicts the closure boundary. Not sure if a particular road, trail, or camp is open? Call the Monterey Ranger District at 831-385-5434. Please enjoy your public lands responsibly. When in place, abide by NO CAMPFIRE restrictions. Pack out everything you pack in (including toilet paper). Leave this special place better than you found it. Leave No Trace ethics are more important than ever with visitors concentrated in fewer places to go.  

State Parks 

The following are open for day use:  Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Garrapata State Park - Soberanes Canyon Trail, Andrew Molera State Park, Point Sur State Historic Park (tours only), and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (go online or call to find out if the park's campgrounds are open)  

The following remain closed: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, John Little State Natural Reserve, Limekiln State Park  

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO (additional US Forest Service information for the Monterey Ranger District): Please note that the information above is oftentimes more up-to-date than the US Forest Service site. Call 831-385-5434 with questions. 

Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek

White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: White Rock Lake Trailhead into Pine Creek

Postby AaronP on Sun May 31, 2020 5:40 pm

innature wrote:
AaronP wrote:This past weekend I parked at The Hoist and on the way up Long Ridge Road I was greeting by a local who notified me that that portion of Los Padres has been closed for years since the fire and that I was walking on a private road. I proceeded anyways. I saw no signs at the trail head notifying of closures in the area. Is she correct or just being a local gatekeeper of sorts as to keep away the crowds?

I live on Palo and hiked from the hoist mailboxes to the trail head that goes to turner creek campground.

She was likely trying to be a gatekeeper and most of these locals are misinformed and don’t like to share.

Turner creek and the trails that continue passed it are open, it even says so on the NFS website. However it is completely overgrown with blackberry bush. Not even a site to pitch a tent. I took a look up the trailer and there was a massive downed tree that looked like a lot of work to get passed. I didn’t bother continuing as it looked to be pretty impassable.

I’ll try figuring out how I can post a photo here of what it looked like today 5/31/20.

Oh, also, at the trail head lives a guy with two loud, trying-to-be-intimidating dogs. I don’t advise parking there, as he is unfriendly.

On that particular trip I did pass around to the right of the massive downed tree towards the creek. It's passable if you're willing to bushwhack your way around it. The left side looked impassable. The rest of the way is pretty clear until you reach the next junction with a few smaller deadfalls along the way. On this particular trip we made it all the way to Double Cone which required the most bushwhacking I had ever done in Ventana. I too parked at The Hoist as I had been advised not to go any further up the private road.
AaronP

Postby innature on Sun May 31, 2020 4:06 pm

[quote="AaronP"]This past weekend I parked at The Hoist and on the way up Long Ridge Road I was greeting by a local who notified me that that portion of Los Padres has been closed for years since the fire and that I was walking on a private road. I proceeded anyways. I saw no signs at the trail head notifying of closures in the area. Is she correct or just being a local gatekeeper of sorts as to keep away the crowds?[/quote]

I live on Palo and hiked from the hoist mailboxes to the trail head that goes to turner creek campground.

She was likely trying to be a gatekeeper and most of these locals are misinformed and don’t like to share.

Turner creek and the trails that continue passed it are open, it even says so on the NFS website. However it is completely overgrown with blackberry bush. Not even a site to pitch a tent. I took a look up the trailer and there was a massive downed tree that looked like a lot of work to get passed. I didn’t bother continuing as it looked to be pretty impassable.

I’ll try figuring out how I can post a photo here of what it looked like today 5/31/20.

Oh, also, at the trail head lives a guy with two loud, trying-to-be-intimidating dogs. I don’t advise parking there, as he is unfriendly.
innature

Postby mikesplain on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:54 pm

From the Monterey County DPW website:
"Road Closures-
Palo Colorado Road 4.0 mm (The Hoist)
06-26-18 to Indefinite Storm Damage"

This is correct, there is no closure at Highway 1; the road is closed at mile marker 4.

HOWEVER, it's wise to also check the LPNF website or call the LPNF Monterey Ranger District at 831-385-5434, as a temporary District-wide COVID-19 closure is expected any day now.
mikesplain

Postby Calzone on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:05 am

The Monterey County website does not show any closure for Palo Colorado Rd at Hwy1, which should be considered correct, the FS site or the county site?

https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/governmen ... s-closures
Calzone

Postby Jim Ringland on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:43 pm

The Long Ridge Road is a private road, so you can't drive it, but under normal conditions it is open to foot traffic. The wilderness is no longer closed because of the Soberanes Fire. HOWEVER, the most recent update of the alerts and notices page for Los Padres National Forest / Monterey Ranger District (https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/lpnf/ale ... rdb5347980) has this added in boldface:

"Palo Colorado Rd at Hwy 1 and Bottchers Gap Campground is closed indefinately due to the Palo Colorado Road closure (only open to residents)"

The "at Hwy 1" part is new, as far as I know, no doubt reflecting the current emergency. And yes, the forest service has a typo.
Jim Ringland

Postby AaronP on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:01 pm

This past weekend I parked at The Hoist and on the way up Long Ridge Road I was greeting by a local who notified me that that portion of Los Padres has been closed for years since the fire and that I was walking on a private road. I proceeded anyways. I saw no signs at the trail head notifying of closures in the area. Is she correct or just being a local gatekeeper of sorts as to keep away the crowds?
AaronP

Postby AaronP on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am

Awesome! Thanks again, I've been wanting to make my way to VDC for months now. I've also seen Pantilats route from Manuel peak and that seemed to be a little too technical to attempt with a pack on so i'm looking for alternatives and coming up from Pine Valley would make for at least a 3 day trek. Looks like the hoist is the only place to begin a trip in the north-west side of Ventana.
AaronP

Postby Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:40 am

The bottom of long ridge road is known as “The Hoist”, also that is the closure point of the Pali road

Postby Doelman on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:37 am

No worries about parking. the locals leave cars ther for days
Doelman

Postby AaronP on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Doelman wrote:You can go up long ridge from the closure on pall Colorado rd, walk up that to get to the turner creek trail, that takes you to the vdc/ skinner-ridge trail

Is there overnight parking at the closure?
AaronP

Next

Return to Ventana Discussion