Forums

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION - updated February 25, 2021 

ALERT: Due to a January 26-28 storm, Highway 1 is closed from Big Creek Vista Point in the south to just north of Lime Creek Bridge in the north. Long-term, there is a significant washout of the Highway 1 at Rat Creek (just north of Big Creek Reserve and just south of Esalen Institute). Expect this closure to be in place until summer 2021. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (which connects Highway 1 at Kirk Creek with Fort Hunter Liggett on the eastern side of the Coast Ridge) is also significantly damaged and may not be open for quite some time.  

Effective January 22, 2021 U.S. Forest Service - Los Padres National Forest has re-opened most unburned areas of the Monterey Ranger District. In and around the northern Ventana Wilderness, most lands north of and including the Marble Peak Trail are open. Wilderness camps in the backcountry can be accessed from the Arroyo Seco Recreation Area near Greenfield (off 101) or via Tassajara Road deep in the Carmel Valley. 

The Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Redwood Camp remains closed. 

Lands south of Willow Creek Road, including most of the Silver Peak Wilderness, are also open.

Most secondary roads (including Del Venturi/Milpitas, Nacimiento-Fergusson, Plaskett Ridge, Willow Creek/Los Burros, & South Coast Ridge roads) remain gated and closed. 

This map depicts the closure boundary. Not sure if a particular road, trail, or camp is open? Call the Monterey Ranger District at 831-385-5434. Please enjoy your public lands responsibly. When in place, abide by NO CAMPFIRE restrictions. Pack out everything you pack in (including toilet paper). Leave this special place better than you found it. Leave No Trace ethics are more important than ever with visitors concentrated in fewer places to go.  

State Parks 

The following are open for day use:  Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Garrapata State Park - Soberanes Canyon Trail, Andrew Molera State Park, Point Sur State Historic Park (tours only), and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (go online or call to find out if the park's campgrounds are open)  

The following remain closed: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, John Little State Natural Reserve, Limekiln State Park  

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO (additional US Forest Service information for the Monterey Ranger District): Please note that the information above is oftentimes more up-to-date than the US Forest Service site. Call 831-385-5434 with questions. 

Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Multi-Day Parking near Andrew Molera SP?

Multi-Day Parking near Andrew Molera SP?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: Multi-Day Parking near Andrew Molera SP?

Postby VWA Admin on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:26 am

VWA Admin

Pico Blanco Public Camp

Postby waynez on Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Can you get to Pico Blanco Public camp from the Coast road? I have heard that lots of problem with trail going out that way. Thanks
waynez

Postby Lindsay on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:26 pm

At this time of year after you reach the VDC trail, I would expect to find water at Lone Pine Camp, probably a little to the south of the camp site. I am fairly certain that if you push down the Puerto Suello trail a quarter mile, you would find a good bit of water crossing what remains of that trail. Other than that, the next reliable year-round water would be at Pat Spring. You should consult the trail guides to clarify where these spots are in relation to your trail. Good luck on your ambitious through-hike.
Lindsay

Postby petervbraun on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks!

I found an answer for the parking. The ranger at Molera said parking on the 1 is fine as long as the car does not block anything and is not on private property. He suggested putting a note on the windshield so it doesn't look abandoned and get towed, and warned that break-ins are common.
petervbraun

Postby jdoelman on Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:31 pm

I made some of the trip in the reverse direction a 7-8 years ago. We camped on double cone, then muscled our way to the coast at Molera. We diverted from your route in that we did not do the "drain", and we went down into the headwaters of Little Sur River to get water. Travelling uphill from Cabezo to Kandlebinder could be difficult if the brush is dense. Pantalat would know how bad the brush is.
It seems like water will be an issue, if you can get water in the "drain" then that might be enough. If you follow the ridge from Molera to VDC there is no water, and following the trail from VDC there is no water for a long ways unless you descend to Lone Pine Camp ( and below). There may be other water sources just off the ridgeline but if there are they are seldom seen, maybe someone on this forum knows where they are. Or there may be some fancy topo-map that has some springs marked on it.
jdoelman

Postby petervbraun on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to do a few more recon hikes and be conservative on mileage
petervbraun

Postby Dogger on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:49 am

I have parked there for nights and not had a problem.
Your route is bold. Expect some brushy terrain along the way. No easy way back to your car from dbl. cone only a long trail or a nasty route with some technical challenges

Get as much info as you can from pantalat
Dogger

Postby gonehiking guest on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:59 am

Hi,

Just some word of caution here... I would think multi-day parking would be your least worry on this trip, although I believe your car could be towed or vandalized on Hwy 1. This area has been travelled, but by extreme distance runners and is not very suitable for travel with a multi-day pack. I do not know your abilities but you should consider this an extreme adventure. In addition, Spring weather can be extreme and I believe the area got snow last night and 8-10 day forecast had above average rain(or snow) and below average temps. I would consider late April a better time to eliminate the weather factor...If you are not familiar with off trail travel region in the area, I would suggest some day trips of this sort before committing to a multi day. If you get injured, understand that emergency rescue and hospitals are starting to get overwhelmed by corvid-19 patients and your rescue/treatment could be delayed, deemded a low priority or not even attempted. If you go, please leave a detailed route of your trip to someone and carry a PLB.
gonehiking guest

Multi-Day Parking near Andrew Molera SP?

Postby petervbraun on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:34 am

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the situation is for multi-day parking near Andrew Molera SP?

I'm planning to hike East Molera Trail -> Cabezo Prieto -> Kandlbinder -> Drain -> Ventana Double Cone and then looping back around somehow.
I especially want to do the section Cabezo Prieto -> Ventana Double Cone, so I'm open to alternate starts.

I'm not sure if parking on Highway 1 is OK for a 3-5 day trip. I'm concerned my car will get towed. Any recommendations?
petervbraun

Return to Ventana Discussion