Forums

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION - updated February 25, 2021 

ALERT: Due to a January 26-28 storm, Highway 1 is closed from Big Creek Vista Point in the south to just north of Lime Creek Bridge in the north. Long-term, there is a significant washout of the Highway 1 at Rat Creek (just north of Big Creek Reserve and just south of Esalen Institute). Expect this closure to be in place until summer 2021. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (which connects Highway 1 at Kirk Creek with Fort Hunter Liggett on the eastern side of the Coast Ridge) is also significantly damaged and may not be open for quite some time.  

Effective January 22, 2021 U.S. Forest Service - Los Padres National Forest has re-opened most unburned areas of the Monterey Ranger District. In and around the northern Ventana Wilderness, most lands north of and including the Marble Peak Trail are open. Wilderness camps in the backcountry can be accessed from the Arroyo Seco Recreation Area near Greenfield (off 101) or via Tassajara Road deep in the Carmel Valley. 

The Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Redwood Camp remains closed. 

Lands south of Willow Creek Road, including most of the Silver Peak Wilderness, are also open.

Most secondary roads (including Del Venturi/Milpitas, Nacimiento-Fergusson, Plaskett Ridge, Willow Creek/Los Burros, & South Coast Ridge roads) remain gated and closed. 

This map depicts the closure boundary. Not sure if a particular road, trail, or camp is open? Call the Monterey Ranger District at 831-385-5434. Please enjoy your public lands responsibly. When in place, abide by NO CAMPFIRE restrictions. Pack out everything you pack in (including toilet paper). Leave this special place better than you found it. Leave No Trace ethics are more important than ever with visitors concentrated in fewer places to go.  

State Parks 

The following are open for day use:  Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Garrapata State Park - Soberanes Canyon Trail, Andrew Molera State Park, Point Sur State Historic Park (tours only), and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (go online or call to find out if the park's campgrounds are open)  

The following remain closed: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, John Little State Natural Reserve, Limekiln State Park  

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO (additional US Forest Service information for the Monterey Ranger District): Please note that the information above is oftentimes more up-to-date than the US Forest Service site. Call 831-385-5434 with questions. 

Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - 50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: 50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

Postby jack_glendening on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:26 pm

But if you do complete that journey I expect you will have many stories to tell.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby jack_glendening on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Personally I think you should re-consider the "red" segments and re-route to have a more pleasant experience, especially for the size+weight of pack needed for such a trip.

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby AaronP on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:23 pm

jack_glendening wrote:OK, but parts of it will be essentially bushwhacking. (And I hope you have experience of bushwhacking in the Ventana backcountry.

Jack

Oh yeah, I’ve backpacked approximately 250 miles in the Ventana this year. It’s an intense environment but the views are absolutely worth the effort, tick checks, and poison oak. Haha.
AaronP

Postby jack_glendening on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Parts of it will be essentially bushwhacking. (And I hope you have experience of bushwhacking in the Ventana backcountry.

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby AaronP on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:07 pm

jack_glendening wrote:https://bigsurtrailmap.net/trailconditions.html

Thanks Jack. I used that map to make the route and I’ve hiked about %30 of the route this year so I feel like I’ve got a decent idea of what to expect out there.
AaronP

50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

Postby AaronP on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:04 pm

Early next year I'm planning on doing a 3 or 4 day, 50-60 mile trek starting at Santa Lucia Memorial Park to Posts/Highway 1 and I'm just curious to see if anyone has objections or suggested alterations to my intended route. I would've liked to end the hike in Big Sur, but seeing how that portion of the Pine Ridge Trail is still closed I did my best to avoid it.

I'll be going up the Santa Lucia -> Horse Pasture -> Church Creek -> Pine Ridge -> Big Sur Trail -> Coast Ridge Road and end at Posts

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/map--94834
Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
AaronP

Previous

Return to Ventana Discussion