Forums

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION - updated February 25, 2021 

ALERT: Due to a January 26-28 storm, Highway 1 is closed from Big Creek Vista Point in the south to just north of Lime Creek Bridge in the north. Long-term, there is a significant washout of the Highway 1 at Rat Creek (just north of Big Creek Reserve and just south of Esalen Institute). Expect this closure to be in place until summer 2021. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (which connects Highway 1 at Kirk Creek with Fort Hunter Liggett on the eastern side of the Coast Ridge) is also significantly damaged and may not be open for quite some time.  

Effective January 22, 2021 U.S. Forest Service - Los Padres National Forest has re-opened most unburned areas of the Monterey Ranger District. In and around the northern Ventana Wilderness, most lands north of and including the Marble Peak Trail are open. Wilderness camps in the backcountry can be accessed from the Arroyo Seco Recreation Area near Greenfield (off 101) or via Tassajara Road deep in the Carmel Valley. 

The Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Redwood Camp remains closed. 

Lands south of Willow Creek Road, including most of the Silver Peak Wilderness, are also open.

Most secondary roads (including Del Venturi/Milpitas, Nacimiento-Fergusson, Plaskett Ridge, Willow Creek/Los Burros, & South Coast Ridge roads) remain gated and closed. 

This map depicts the closure boundary. Not sure if a particular road, trail, or camp is open? Call the Monterey Ranger District at 831-385-5434. Please enjoy your public lands responsibly. When in place, abide by NO CAMPFIRE restrictions. Pack out everything you pack in (including toilet paper). Leave this special place better than you found it. Leave No Trace ethics are more important than ever with visitors concentrated in fewer places to go.  

State Parks 

The following are open for day use:  Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Garrapata State Park - Soberanes Canyon Trail, Andrew Molera State Park, Point Sur State Historic Park (tours only), and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park (go online or call to find out if the park's campgrounds are open)  

The following remain closed: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, John Little State Natural Reserve, Limekiln State Park  

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO (additional US Forest Service information for the Monterey Ranger District): Please note that the information above is oftentimes more up-to-date than the US Forest Service site. Call 831-385-5434 with questions. 

Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - 50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: 50+ mile thru-hike from Santa Lucia Memorial to Posts

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:33 pm

PS: if you do the Santa Lucia Trail, I think the "dicey" Black Cone Trail will seem pretty tame by comparison!
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Ah - all I'd seen was "I" so did not know others were going, thought this was solo. Will make a big difference since can trade off leading (and cutting). Certainly hope you will provide trail report(s) for wherever you end up going. Too many people get advice, read trail reports by others, but never give back. As I said, I expect you will have stories to tell.

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby AaronP on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:50 pm

That’s the spirit! Haha. I’m going with a two others and we’ve just recently started caring loppers and a small hand saw on our last few trips up to cone peak via carizzo creek. Necessary investments for the Ventana backcountry!
AaronP

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:59 pm

You can take the Santa Lucia Trail and then we will have another report! For all I know perhaps someone has done some clearing there. Would take along a pair of loppers, though.

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby AaronP on Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:07 pm

I had read that report and the one from Feb 17th, 2018 where it sounds like they had made it thru to Arroyo Secco. The application that I was using to map the route doesn't' have Black Cone Trail but I ended up mapping it out. Thanks for that suggestion. After reading more reports about the Big Sur trail I was able to quickly rule that out, though even the Black Cone Trail seems to be a bit dicey at points.
AaronP

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:34 am

I think the Santa Lucia Trail from the summit trail intersection to Bluff Usecamp would be significantly worse than that Carmel River Trail section. Several people have been through the latter in recent years whereas I have not heard of _anyone_ doing the former over that period. When I did the former there were LONG sections of having to crawl through brush tunnels (and we had loppers & saw) - bad enough with a day pack, can't imagine it with a large backpack. That was many years ago so I expect it is now even worse. In the last report, the reporter turned around and retreated. Have you read that February 25, 2018 report ?

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby AaronP on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:54 am

The worst and probably best hike was in March from tassajara road thru pine valley into Carmel river trail. I was going to attempt a loop but the river crossings were just too deep at one point to try it solo so I made the decision to turn back shortly after sulfur springs camp which was a humbling experience. The hike was 2 days and about 37 miles.

I’ll give that other route a look.
AaronP

Postby jack_glendening on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:09 am

Personally I would take Indians Road and backtrack to Last Chance Falls. And take Black Cone Trail instead of trying to hike north end of Big Sur Trail - significantly longer but likely faster and more pleasant. But I'd hate to talk you out of your ambitions - perhaps you should just try taking your route but then have a plan B if it proves to be not to your liking.

I'd be curious to know the "worst" route you've hiked in the Ventana, to get an idea of what you've experienced.

Jack
jack_glendening

Postby AaronP on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:08 pm

I’m pretty keen on visiting last chance falls and doing a thru hike of the area. If you can suggest a more optimal route for accomplishing this I’m all ears.
AaronP

Postby AaronP on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:03 pm

jack_glendening wrote:Personally I think you should re-consider the "red" segments and re-route to have a more pleasant experience, especially for the size+weight of pack needed for such a trip.

Jack

My biggest worry is the crossings along the Santa Lucia and the couple along the Big Sur trail. As for the bushwhacking, I’m expecting it along the pine ridge, thru Big Sur until I hit coast rd. I consider myself a pretty seasoned backpacker having backpacked almost 900 miles this year including 60 miles off-trail routes thru Yosemite and my base weight is right around 15 lbs in the winter. However that being said, in my personal experience, no area is more humbling and grounding than the Ventana. Which probably explains why I keep returning for more.
AaronP

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Discussion