Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?

Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: dknapp1, Betsy M

Re: Mountain bikes in the Ventana Wilderness?

Postby mikesplain on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Keep in mind that bikes are not permitted on North Coast Ridge Road, so even if it were legal, riding on Boronda or DeAngulo trails would involve first pushing your bike up to the top (good luck riding up those slopes). Theoretically, one could legally ride the Prewitt Loop Trail (although a Search and Rescue crew recently extracted someone who was injured trying to do just that).
For a legal & appropriate mountain bike ride, the interior is the only sensible option- namely, Arroyo Seco-Indians Road.
mikesplain

Postby All addin on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:50 pm

Ok For now you cannot ride in the wilderness, please make some new routes in Big Sur that are not in the wilderness. How about a less steep version of the borinda trail, or a bike trail from prewitt ridge to hwy1 or along the north border of sliver peak widerness from plaskett rd to hwy1 or decend the mill creek trail from coast ridge to. AciFerg rd
All addin

Postby Jdubb on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 pm

[quote="lori"][quote="Rob"]Just to play devil's advocate: if mountain-biking were allowed in the wilderness, then more mountain bikers would show up to help do trail maintenance and would contribute to that effort monetarily.
[/quote]

Given the scarcity of volunteers for trail crews in general? I really really really really really really doubt that. REALLY. REALLLLLY. DOUBT. Especially when it's discovered that there are actually standards to meet for how to maintain the trail, and bikes tend to cause a whole lot of damage that the volunteers would be asked to repair to that standard, adding many many hours to the job there are already not a lot of people to do.

Sitting there sawing a tree out of the trail, we might see a dozen or so hikers go by as we do each tree. Most of them say thank you, some of them stop to chat in disbelief that we are not allowed to use chainsaws, and every single one of them say something along the lines of "I could never do that I'm not strong enough/bad back/too many obligations already/not up to it/retired/dozen other excuses." Some of them are right, they are not physically up to it. Most are unwilling.

Your carrot fails to convince me at all that bikers will contribute in any way - because it's not true of the hikers, in most ways.[/quote]

Lori, I have been hiking and biking for over 30 years spending a lot of time in back county areas that are not only remote but very difficult
to reach. My experience (and I am sure you will likely disagree) is that the mountain biking community has a far greater volunteer base with motivated and willing participants for trail work than hikers. REALLY.

Both in Southern and Northern California, the support that I see from local mountain biking volunteer groups is amazing.

With that being said, mountain bikes or any vehicles for that matter should not be allowed in the Ventana Wilderness. The rugged beauty and difficulty that the trails have to offer make this area a true gem to be protected forever!
Jdubb

Postby Jdubb on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 pm

[quote="lori"][quote="Rob"]Just to play devil's advocate: if mountain-biking were allowed in the wilderness, then more mountain bikers would show up to help do trail maintenance and would contribute to that effort monetarily.
[/quote]

Given the scarcity of volunteers for trail crews in general? I really really really really really really doubt that. REALLY. REALLLLLY. DOUBT. Especially when it's discovered that there are actually standards to meet for how to maintain the trail, and bikes tend to cause a whole lot of damage that the volunteers would be asked to repair to that standard, adding many many hours to the job there are already not a lot of people to do.

Sitting there sawing a tree out of the trail, we might see a dozen or so hikers go by as we do each tree. Most of them say thank you, some of them stop to chat in disbelief that we are not allowed to use chainsaws, and every single one of them say something along the lines of "I could never do that I'm not strong enough/bad back/too many obligations already/not up to it/retired/dozen other excuses." Some of them are right, they are not physically up to it. Most are unwilling.

Your carrot fails to convince me at all that bikers will contribute in any way - because it's not true of the hikers, in most ways.[/quote]

Lori, I have been hiking and biking for over 30 years spending a lot of time in back county areas that are not only remote but very difficult
to reach. My experience (and I am sure you will likely disagree) is that the mountain biking community has a far greater volunteer base with motivated and willing participants for trail work than hikers. REALLY.

Both in Southern and Northern California, the support that I see from local mountain biking volunteer groups is amazing.

With that being said, mountain bikes or any vehicles for that matter should be allowed in the Ventana Wilderness. The rugged beauty and difficulty that the trails have to offer make this area a true gem to be protected forever!
Jdubb

Postby gfelsman on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Yes a very good article. We work together with cyclists to expand opportunities for multiuse trails. In San Luis Obispo City since 1995, we have built over 55 miles of trails. At least 40 of them are multi-use. The recent Pismo Preserve added 11 more miles of multiuse trail. But allowing MTB into pristine wilderness areas is very distressing. The fragility of the area, new technology for MTB have now created a series of bikes that go 30+ MPH, which is a Motorcycle with Mountain Bike Wheels. Many wilderness trails are not built for this type of recreation.

Land Managers are having a hard time keeping up with the regulations. So in SLO MTB E-bikes are not allowed on any trails SLO, except for Ranger Patrols.

Can you imagine Sykes Camp along the Pine Ridge Trail if this were to happen?

I applaud IMBA for recognizing the issue and not supporting the bill.
gfelsman

Postby mikesplain on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:53 pm

This LA Times article hits the mark- http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... y,amp.html
mikesplain

Postby Alladin on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Seriously, mountain bikes in the wilderness won't be a big deal in the Ventana. They are already legal on the Boronda, DeAngulo trails and the Indians road. The proposed laws don't seem to affect the coast ridge road which is non-wilderness. I don't see any yahoos riding the bike-available trails now so I don't foresee it in the future. The Sierra Nevada is a different story, there trails are more conducive to mountain biking.
Alladin

Postby jack_glendening on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Personally I do not mind bikes on the wider trails (actually old ranch roads) in Toro Park, where they are allowed. But they have also gone on the narrower trails, in some places creating a deep, narrow rut in the middle of the trail. The rut is too narrow to put one's boot in and the rut has created sloped sides, desroying the level tread. Those areas are steep, making purchase and hiking now very difficult. So I can't be in favor of allowing bikers on narrow trails when I see what they have done in Toro Park.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
jack_glendening

Postby Grockle on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 pm

NO!

I ride a mtn bike (rode up the Arroyo Seco Road from Indians a few weeks ago) as much as I hike. I was riding in the Sierras this summer near the PCT and was telling all the hikers I met to fight this change.

Wilderness is very rare and precious and quiet and slow and bikers have the rest of the planet.

I’ve encountered fast, arrogant, loud groups of bikers many times and they don’t belong in our wilderness. There are vast numbers of mtn bikers in the Bay Area and they would have a huge impact here.
Grockle

Postby mikesplain on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Suggested headline for HR1349 coverage in The Onion-

Area mountain bikers partner with anti-public land Congressman to re-write bedrock conservation law.
(What could possibly go wrong?!?)
mikesplain

PreviousNext

Return to Ventana Discussion