Forums
Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Is the Ventana Camp Trail Open?

Is the Ventana Camp Trail Open?

This is the place to discuss anything related to trail maintenance or restoration. General trail questions should be posted in the Ventana Discussion forums.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

Re: Is the Ventana Camp Trail Open?

Postby Carl Mounteer on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks, Betsy. I appreciate your informing me on that.
Carl Mounteer

Postby Betsy M on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 pm

Carl, the Pine Ridge Trail to Redwood, the Terrace Creek Trail, and the Ventana Camp Trail opened April 13th.
Betsy M

Postby Carl Mounteer on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm

Ok, thanks for your help on that.
Carl Mounteer

Postby VWA_Ranger on Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:41 pm

Carl, as of this writing the Ventana Camp Trail is closed along with the rest of the Lower Pine Ridge Trail System per the LPNF Website. The Status of this trail system will change sometime next week.

There are a couple of articles out there that can give more details.
VWA_Ranger

Is the Ventana Camp Trail Open?

Postby Carl Mounteer on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:31 pm

I checked this report for the Ventana Camp Trail to ascertain its condition and whether it is open or closed. The report is highly ambiguous: the language I highlighted in red states the trail is "PARTIALLY OPEN"; but below that it states, in blue type, that "...the trail remains closed to the general public at this time."

I would be grateful to anyone who can dispel this confusion and clarify whether the trail is open or closed

Re: Ventana Camp Trail
Postby VWA_Ranger on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:47 am

Date Hiked: February 25, 2021
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

*** VWA/USFS Volunteer Ranger/Trail Crew Report ***

Forest/Trail Status: PARTIALLY OPEN, Los Padres Monterey Ranger District is partially open per Forest Order 05-07-51-21-02
Current Fire Restrictions: Campfires and Stoves are permitted in the backcountry with a valid Campfire/Stove Permit.

Description:

The Monterey Ranger District Forest has partially reopened, VWA/USFS Volunteer Rangers continue to prepare opening other parts of the closed forest and are continuing their regular patrols. Volunteer Rangers and trail crew members continue to work on the Ventana Camp Trail in preparation for its opening. They removed downed trees, shrubs and limbs along the trail from recent storms.

Trail conditions are as follows:

The Ventana Camp Trail remains closed to the general public at this time. Only authorized personnel with the approval of the USFS are allowed to access this trail corridor.
Carl Mounteer

Return to Trails and Trailwork Discussion