Turner Creek Trail

RSI SamE

Re: Turner Creek Trail

Post by RSI SamE »

Date Hiked: October 8, 2012
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Turner Creek Trail
Twixt Skinner Ridge Trail
And Turner Creek Camp
• Trail: Clear
• People: 2
• Signage: Sign at Turner Creek Trail junction is informative but decrepit, on its last legs.
• Note 1: Poison oak encroaching on trail occasionally.
• Note 2: In open madrone areas some old trails diverge and converge, but main trail is fairly obvious.
epicwalker

Post by epicwalker »

Date Hiked: October 18, 2012

did this hike in may water was plentiful then now turner creek at least to turner creek camp is dry not even a trickle, a good seep at apple tree, I hope the fish moved down stream

[Editor's note: often one has to look upstream from Turner Camp itself to find water - water was found there on Sept 22]
steveu

Post by steveu »

Date Hiked: May 21, 2012

I was headed for pat springs but after reaching turner creek trail, I looked at the climb ahead of me, and like water and electricity I took the path of least resistance, downhill to turner creek camp,Trail is easy to follow with leaves and poison oak, lots of shade from mostly Madrones and later near the creek Alders, the camp next to Turner creek is on a slope with a fire ring and grate, I was surprised to see fish in such a small creek but there they were, quite a few the largest about 4 inches, I guess they are steelhead, seeing that the Turner creek drains to the ocean thru bixby creek if I'm not mistaken.
AdamW88

Post by AdamW88 »

Date Hiked: January 9, 2011

Section: Turner Creek Saddle ( Skinner's Ridge Trail junction) to Turner Creek Camp

This trail has greatly improved over the last few years but still has issues.

Generally, minor to moderate encroachment of various vines including poison oak and wild berry.
I counted about 5 places that I would call excessively encroaching including one between the saddle and Apple Tree Camp.

The trail is covered in downed leaves but still easy to follow but slick in the steep areas.

To my surprise, no deadfalls were blocking the trail especially from the November wind storm.

At one point very close to Turner Creek there are two parallel trails of a few hundred feet in length that have developed due to both and old dead fall that is now gone and the higher trail is preferable to stock use.
  • I was able to do some clipping and focused mainly on the poison oak. Looking closely there are some very old cuts/clipping that show how wide this trail was at one time.
mxharris

Post by mxharris »

Date Hiked: November 6, 2010
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

The VWA's Youth in Wilderness Program(YIW), along with students from UCSC's Outdoor Recreation Program, did trailwork and tree removal on the Turner Creek Trail, removing a large oak from above Apple Tree Camp, and removing a large snarl of downed trees between Apple Tree and Turner Creek Camps(both obstacles mentioned in previous post by M. Splain). The removal of both restores these sections to the original tread and should significantly reduce the amount of erosion on the trail.

We had a wonderful time, and the rain decided to hold off until we started hiking out on Sunday morning. Thanks to Trail Crew Leaders Betsy MacGowan and Steve Benoit for their leadership, and to the USFS pack stock team for their help in packing our gear in and out.

Though it may be beautiful, those who are sensitive should be cautioned that there is a prodigious amount of Poison Oak throughout the length of the trail!

For pictures, please visit: http://picasaweb.google.com/10715272945 ... j0wrKHkwE#

-Morgan Harris
mikesplain

Post by mikesplain »

Date Hiked: July 16, 2010

Work done by the ACE / VWA Trail crew hitch last April is holding up well;
some re-brushing needs to be done in wetter areas where poison oak and blackberry are encroaching,
but all deadfall is now off the trail, with 3 exceptions-

1) There's a hazardous jumble of hung-up trees between Long Ridge Road & Turner Creek Camp; it's easy to step under this mess, but proceed with caution! Removal of this jumble will almost certainly require professional tree work.
2) There's another jumble of downed trees between Turner Creek & Apple Tree Camps; a re-route up the hill bypasses it entirely,
but reclaiming the historic route would result in a much more direct trail with less erosion potential.
3) Hikers need to circumvent a large downed oak above Apple Tree Camp, but a short re-route gets one around it easily & due to the size of the tree & the stability of the bypass, trail crews might as well leave this one as-is.

There was plenty of water (in places, almost enough for a dip) in Turner Creek.
Mosquitoes were absolutely ferocious in the morning hours; I suspect they'll mellow by the fall hiking season.
Face flies were also an annoyance, especially in the oak / madrone woodland above Apple Tree Camp.
The best part of the hike was staying on the correct side of Turner Creek when approaching Apple Tree Camp;
last fall, the route was so brushy & obscured that we just crossed the creek,
hacked our way through the blackberry & then crossed back to the camp.
Now it's an easy stroll on good tread with essentially no brush to impede progress;
couldn't find the Apple Tree Camp sign- perhaps someone used it as firewood?
robbarringer

Post by robbarringer »

Concur with the previous poster's comments regarding the current condition of the Turner Creek Trail. I led a hiking group through here on Sunday, July 18th starting out at Bottcher's Gap to the Turner Creek saddle before heading down the Turner Creek Trail destined for Long Ridge. The trail is in absolutely REMARKABLE condition. Other than the aforementioned tree falls the trail is simply a delight to travel on. I was also impressed with the condition of Apple Tree Camp....can't wait to get back in here soon with my backpack. The madrone trees are losing their leaves now so the trail is littered with leaves making for slippery conditions, particularly along the steeper slopes. But otherwise a very pleasant and delightful trail to enjoy.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Date Hiked: May 24, 2010

After the wonderful work by the ACE crew and several VWA volunteers, the Turner Creek trail is now in beautiful, exemplary condition. There are three remaining deadfalls that one easily skirts along the use trail—but aesthetically these little detours stick out because the rest of the trail is now so impeccable. In particular, the ingress to Apple Tree Camp (coming from the west) has been beautifully re-worked. Kudos to every keen eye and hand that worked on this.

Here are some photos from the peak of wildflower season.

http://redegggallery.squarespace.com/re ... -peak.html
syrah

Poison Oak!

Post by syrah »

Date Hiked: October 24, 2009
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The trail we took to Apple Tree Camp (taking a left from Skinner Ridge toward Turner Creek Camp) is FULL of poison oak. This trail is passable, but the poison oak is unavoidable. If you are even moderately sensitive to the wrath of this plant, DO NOT take this trail. It would be impossible to get every drop of the oil off your shoes, backpack, etc.

The creek is just barely trickling at Apple Tree Camp- water was collectable however. The campsite is pleasant, very shaded, we were not cold at all. The only downside is the tree cover: about 75% at the first campsite and 100% at the second site - not the best star viewing.

For more detail, see my post about Skinner Ridge Trail.
mikesplain

Turner Creek Trail

Post by mikesplain »

Date Hiked: September 28, 2009
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Turner Creek Trail is in good shape from the end of Long Ridge Road to Turner Creek Camp
(with the exception of a really poorly routed bypass around a deadfall.)
From TC Camp to the Skinner Ridge Trail intersection, conditions degrade significantly.
Just east of the camp, another tree has fallen
and a crude re-route traverses unneccesarily above the correct route.
Ascending toward Apple Tree Camp,
these re-routes are a common theme,
as is encroaching brush-
in contrast to Adam's previous report,
I'd say at least half of it is poison oak, and it is UNAVOIDABLE!
If you are highly sensitive to urushiol, this trail is definitely not for you!
(at least until some serious brushwork and restoration of the proper route is done.)
In all, there are perhaps six or eight deadfalls
with makeshift re-routes of varying difficulty between TC Camp & AT Camp;
some merely require strolling around the trunk of a large oak,
others involve brush that's worse than the obstacle they are designed to bypass.
A short stretch of trail crosses Turner Creek and follows its south bank,
then re-crosses to the north side at AT Camp-
I've only hiked the TC Trail a few times,
but cannot recall ever travelling on the south side of the creek,
so perhaps this entire section is also a re-route?
(can any seasoned Ventana veterans weigh in here?)
In any case, leaving Apple Tree,
the path ascends to the Skinner Ridge Trail saddle in short order;
there is yet another deadfall in this section,
and a couple spots where in-line erosion has compromised the tread.
VWA Trail Crew leader Mike Heard was among the participants of this hike.
He did not think that the work needed on the trail
would be particularly hard to do,
but he expected that it would be a hard sell to get volunteers
to do the needed brushing because of the amount of poison oak --
working in a sea of poison oak is something
that many/most volunteers are unwilling (or unable) to do.
The upshot is that this trail is short enough to completely restore
with relatively little expense.
Overall, a fine hike through mature Black Oak and Madrona forest
alongside a well-developed riparian zone
with some of the largest Alders in the Ventana-
an excellent Autumn destination
and a vivid contrast to the fire-denuded slopes east of Skinner Ridge.
New Report