Little Sur Trail

rt1

Re: Little Sur Trail

Post by rt1 »

Date Hiked: June 13, 2015
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Hiked from the Scout Camp to Pico Public. Trail is in the best condition it's been in for a while. There is only one log that must be crawled under heading up Launtz Ridge. The big redwood in Dubeneck's Hole has been sawed through, removing a major obstacle. The trail is brushy in places, but, if you are very careful, you can avoid poison oak.

The waterfall at Pico Public is still flowing and much of the silt that filled the pool after the fire has flushed out, leaving it deep again.

Thank you VWA for your work on repairing this trail.
jfelts711

Post by jfelts711 »

Date Hiked: May 8, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Hiked to Pico Bllanco Camp. Trail had some thicker brush on the portion leading past the boy scout camp. Last several miles there was thick brush and ALOT of ticks. Nothing too heavy to pass or navigate through. Noone there on this weekday, so had camp to ourselfs. Found some trash from leftover hikers, Please be resonsible and pack your trash ! - I don't and nobody else likes to have to pack extra trash out.
fat popi

Post by fat popi »

Date Hiked: May 15, 2015

My partner and went to meet a buddy at pico camp,we tricked him into battling with us for a full day.
thankfully it rained and we jumped yhe poison oak. Cleared from granite boundrie,ttried to hook up with the lopping I had done a month ago,still much work to do,but we gave it our all. Cleared EVERYTHING for first mileafter the redwoods. I really hope one of the leaders hikes this soon to see the work,nneeds a mccloud tool to make the tread where we cut back 4 ft for slumping...overall wonderful day to work. Very hopefull our work will inspire others, or a scheduled workday.
cheers
coffeebean

Post by coffeebean »

Date Hiked: April 18, 2015

Hiked from the west end of Little Sur Trail to spend a night at Pico Blanco campground. The first three or so miles were very pleasant, but the trail was fairly overgrown during parts of the second half. Not much deadfall, which was nice (thanks fatpopi!) but there was a lot of oak and brush. Navigating it was a bit difficult, but the tread was evident throughout. My friend and I were on the constant lookout for the cut-off (if it exists?) to the fireroad closer to the summit, but had no luck. We might have been looking at an outdated map.

Tons of ticks, btw. I probably picked up three or four every few meters. They're out in full force.
fat popi

Post by fat popi »

Date Hiked: April 10, 2015

I put in 2, 5hour days this week on little sur trail from granite creek boundrie to pico public. Lots of far from pristine,fthere is only one 200 yrd section left to be lopped. Not much I can do about the slumping. Only 1 major deadfall left. Trail is on the way back to "CLEAR" condition with another day of work..
hydrologic

Post by hydrologic »

Date Hiked: April 4, 2015

the first two miles of the trail from the gate at old coast road to the beginning of the climb after crossing the creek are pretty clear. There is some encroaching poison oak but not bad. About 0.5 miles up the climb the brush gets increasingly bad and the trail slumps a lot. There are a few easy to navigate dead falls. The brush isn't too bad as its mainly soft but there is a lot of PO intermingled so beware of that. The trail is pretty narrow and has a lot of side slope and slumpage with a few sketchy wash outs. This goes on like this for about 3 miles until just before the connection to PBPC. Some tread work and some clearing is evident but a few days spent on that 3 mile section woudl restore this trail to pristine condition. It's such a great section. From PBPC connector the rest of the way to Launtz ridge the trail was much more clear and the tread was nearly perfect.
fatpopi

Post by fatpopi »

Date Hiked: March 2, 2015
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

What a diffearance a few weeks can make. Went out for 5 days for birthday bbq,dayhikes. Trail has gotten overgrown in just a few weeks,vetch and sweet peqs crowding, en crouching on trail. 1 mile section is bad. As far as ive always seen this trail in that condition. Not a soul monday thru sat we had a blast. gsgoing back with loppers in few weeks...

[Editor note: section hiked not stated - assume is from west end to Pico Blanco Public Camp]
mfalkon

Post by mfalkon »

Date Hiked: February 28, 2015
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Set out from Pico Blanco Scout Camp to Pico Blanco Public Camp. Rained off and on that whole day, so made for some slippery conditions. Other than that, the trail was clear of all obstructions, save for one or two trees that required ducking under a bit. Great hike!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Date Hiked: February 23, 2015

The Little Sur Trail (1E03) is clear of all down trees between the Boy Scout Camp to Pico Blanco Public Camp. The large redwood in ‘Duveneck Hole’ was also cleared. The trail is still brushy in places but easy to follow. The trail from ‘tick meadow’ down to Pico Blanco Camp is still brushy and rocky but open.
From Pico Blanco Public Camp 1.3 miles toward the Old Coast Road the VWA Trail Crew cleared the trail of all down trees, restored the trail where it had slumped, and brushed the very bad parts (32 trees were removed from the trail) The trail is still very brushy and there are many places where the trail has slumped and is difficult to navigate.
There is still a lot of work to be done between the Old Coast Road and Pico Blanco Public Camp so it is best to hike in from the Boy Scout Camp.
Attachments
Large redwood in Duveneck Hole
Large redwood in Duveneck Hole
little sur_875.jpg
fat popi

Post by fat popi »

Date Hiked: January 1, 2015

I did my annual nye at pico and cleared 12 deadfalls from the wind storm in dec. Only 2 major trees left to cut when the work crews come thru.
Then hiked to jackson, circular pool. Cirxular pool has huge landslide, must rename "semi circular pool " now. Along the way, one major madrone down on launtz ridge. I cleared the other 7 deadfalls between boyscout and pico.
2 deaffalls on jackson trail, light work, but I had mo saw on that day.
On side note, lots of jokers being sent to pico from big sur ranger station, some with instructions to walk on the road, DO NoT Walk On The ROAD!
New Report