San Carpóforo Trail (aka Spruce Creek, Dutra Flats)

seagoat1724

Re: San Carpóforo Trail (aka Spruce Creek, Dutra Flats)

Post by seagoat1724 »

Date Hiked: December 7, 2018
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

From Salmon Creek Trail Junction to Dutra Flat:
Trail is good, mostly wilderness freeway except for one big landslide. One big trail leaves the trail off to the right is actually an old road for herding cattle back. Cattle road is less than a quarter mile back from Dutra Camp and marked by a cairn. Actual trail keeps going past this.

From Dutra Flat to San Carporforo Camp
Trail is good, can be hard to follow in meadow areas where many cow trails diverge. The signage on and off of road crossing could be better. Old fruit trees in meadow near trail.
gfelsman

Post by gfelsman »

Date Hiked: April 29, 2019

To elaborate on the post below. This weekend 8 hardy volunteers sponsored by the Ventana Wilderness Alliance/USFS backpacked up to Dutra Flat to work on the Spruce Creek and Dutra Trails. I am happy to report that all the downed trees from just before the slide to Dutra Flat have been cleared by these volunteers.

In addition, they brushed the northern 1/2 mile of the Dutra Trail and the lower 1/2 mile near the camp. They also they removed several downed trees along the Dutra Trail.

Thank You VWA Volunteers.
Attachments
Log Before the Slide.jpg
Log After the Slide.jpg
toejam

Post by toejam »

Date Hiked: April 27, 2019

Volunteers worked on the slide and removed all the logs from the vicinity. The slide is still narrow and a bit sketchy, but holding.
K Vandevere

Post by K Vandevere »

Date Hiked: April 16, 2019

Salmon Creek Trail to Dutra Flats

The new deadfalls I encountered when I walked this trail in January have been cleared, leaving only a couple of easy step-overs. The slide hasn't moved and the tread is in good shape and obvious. There are fewer mosquitos in the Dutra meadows than there were in January, but more ticks. Lots of chocolate lilies in bloom.
DerWampler

Post by DerWampler »

Date Hiked: April 7, 2019

Hiked in 4/5/19, out 4/7/19. Trail is clear and passable. The fallen trees from last year (2018) are much easier to pass over now. Lots of water crossings, none more than ankle deep and easy to pass. The trail is much less worn from the plateau to Dutra Camp (the last 0.8 miles). We did not travel beyond Dutra Flats.
K Vandevere

Post by K Vandevere »

Date Hiked: January 30, 2019
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Salmon Creek Trail to Dutra Flats

Condition is much as in the last report, with the addition of a few new, easily by-passed blow downs. Thanks to a lot of hard work, the slide is not a problem. Approaching Dutra Flats, the meadows are getting pretty boggy and, yes, there are mosquitos. I'm a bit too much of a "don't fence me in" type to really love Dutra Flats Camp, but, with green grass and plenty of water, life in the human corral looks bearable. There's even a folding chair.
gfelsman

Post by gfelsman »

Date Hiked: September 29, 2018

My wife and I patrolled this trail from Highway 1 to Dutra Flat and back. It was a beautiful clear day for a hike. The Trail from Salmon Creek to the Spruce Creek Junction is considered clear as an FYI.

Starting on the Spruce Creek Trail, the trail is easy to follow all the way to Dutra Flat with 6 downed trees. One just before the Spruce Creek Slide which is easy to step over. The other 5 are after Spruce Creek Slide and are easy to navigate with little or no ducking to get around. Once you reach the start of the switchbacks it relatively smooth sailing to Dutra Flat.

Spruce Creek Slide has held up well so far. It could use some more widening and tread work. The slippery log near the end of the slide is now much easier to get over.

Water is still flowing at Dutra Flat Camp. Keep the gates closed to the Spring and camp.

Remember to pack out all your trash, No Fires or Stoves are permitted in the backcountry at this time. Zone "A" Deer Hunting Season ended Sept. 23rd, 2018.
mmaki

San Carpóforo Trail

Post by mmaki »

Date Hiked: April 28, 2018

Hiked east to west. Trail is faint and could be difficult to find if you did not know where to look off Baldwin Ranch Road. Old sign still there. Trail followable. Not much in terms of obstacles. Lost the trail briefly in some of the meadow sections, but easily found again with patience. Once cresting the saddle west of Dutra Flats trail is much easier to find and follow. Condor Trail section hike.
gfelsman

Post by gfelsman »

Date Hiked: February 10, 2018

Hiked this trail Saturday, lots of flowers out now. Dutra Flat Camp was in good shape. Be sure to keep the gates closed as cattle are roaming the hills. Water is flowing at the camp.

The report below is accurate with approx. 6 trees across the trail. All are easy to get around. One tree near the Spruce Creek Slide can be slippery when crossing.

The trail itself is in fair shape with some encroaching brush. With the slide repaired the trail is really enjoyable.
gfelsman

Post by gfelsman »

Date Hiked: January 20, 2018

This report is from a friend of mine. A few new trees down.

Kelly, Willa, and I went on a hike Saturday to Dutra Flats. Willa took some pictures to show you what we found along the way. Picture 6 is a new log across the Salmon Creek Trail about 1/8 mile from the Spruce Creek Trail Junction. I cut some branches off it to make getting back on the trail a little easier. On the Spruce Creek Trail, another log, picture 7 has fallen across the trail between the overlook and the slide. Again, we cut some branches to open up the way back onto the tread, picture 8 is of me standing on the tread on the slide side of the log. Up at the slide, picture 1, the tread has held up pretty good with only some small rocks on the trail and your tools are still there. The big tree we cut looks like it's still where we left it. The split log beyond that was wet and very slippery, I cut a notch into it to give a more solid place to put your foot if you needed one. Just beyond there, the end of a log that was at the edge of the tread, shifted and now juts into the trail. You can get around it, but it should be cut back out of the way.
Other than getting around the three logs further up the trail (which was easy), the trail up to the saddle, and on to Dutra Flat, is in good shape.

- John
Attachments
8.png
7.png
6.png
1.png
New Report