Santa Lucia Peak Trail (summit spur)

aa6xa

Re: Santa Lucia Peak Trail (summit spur)

Post by aa6xa »

Date Hiked: March 29, 2019
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Hiked from Santa Lucia Park TH to Junipero Serra Peak. After the junction with the Peak Trail the trail got progressively worse. Up until the trail went around to the north side of the ridge the brush was a minor annoyance, easy to get through. I would rate it "Passable". On the north side of the ridge the trail was completely overgrown for long sections, and I could tell I was on the trail because it was marginally easier to push through the brush on the trail than off. There were some signs of maintenance, cut limbs and such, but this section needs a lot of work. Tread was well defined until the final climb to the summit, around the 5500 contour. Here I lost the trail and couldn't find it, so I ended up doing a horrendous bushwhack up to the summit and back. The bushwhack was even more fun because of all the snow still on the ground. The final section could be accurately labeled "Impassable".
If I had known the trail was going to be so overgrown I would have worn long sleeves to protect my arms.
WindowMtn

Post by WindowMtn »

Date Hiked: April 21, 2018
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The trail was easy to follow. There were a just a few very short sections
of loose gravel that was a bit slippery. In the last two miles there is quite
a bit of brush encroaching on the trail. Most of it is a minor annoyance.
In some sections it requires shouldering one's way through and presents a small impediment to forward progress. However it never obscured the trail
and never required a full body weight shove to get through. People in my party who neglected to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts ended up quite bloodied.

There was a tiny bit of poison oak near the creek crossings that could be avoided with some care.

The steepest part of the trail also has the least shade and is the most exposed to the sun. It was a bit grueling. I took four liters of water and drank it all.

The creek was running clear, clean, and cool and the water was very refreshing. The last refill spot is 3 miles from the trailhead at altitude of about 3200 feet. You could fill up here to avoid having to carry a full load of water the first 3 miles. Also it's really nice to have a cool drink on the descent and a place to dunk one's head in the water.

The trail immediately uphill from this crossing is a little wet for about 50 feet. There didn't seem to be a way to avoid it. Luckily it's not the horrible clay-type mud. It's not deep enough to go over the tops of your shoes.

There were a few brief, pretty wildflower presentations, lupines, ceanothus, and others, mostly in the lower sections of the hike.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Date Hiked: April 5, 2018
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

I'm a rookie on your trails, so I hope that I'm posting in the right area!

I hiked from the trailhead just before Memorial Campground to the summit of Junipero Serra Peak on 5 Apr 18. Awesome hike, great workout! There was one section of poison oak all around a stream crossing 2.5 mi from the trailhead, I encountered one tick who tried to come home with me, and there were scads of those annoying, tiny bugs who want to hover in your nose and eyes. It's tough going above the junction with the metal sign - lots of head high brush to plow through. A true test of how serious you are about getting to the summit! No problem seeing the trail though. I'm looking forward to hiking more in the Ventana Wilderness.
VWA Admin

Santa Lucia Peak Trail (summit spur)

Post by VWA Admin »

* USFS Trail #6E01
* Parking: Memorial Park
* Watershed: Arroyo Seco River, Santa Lucia Creek
* Junctions: Santa Lucia Trail (5E03)
* Connects: Memorial Park with Santa Lucia Peak
* Camps: Junipero Serra Camp

Please note that this thread covers reports for the for the trail to the summit of Santa Lucia Peak (also known as Sta'okale/Pimlokam Summit/Junipero Serra Peak) only, and does not include reports for the Santa Lucia Trail (5E03) between Arroyo Seco Campground and Memorial Park.

To submit reports please visit the Santa Lucia Trail thread. http://www.ventanawild.org/forums/venta ... trails/269
New Report