Cruikshank Trail

Hillary

Re: Cruikshank Trail

Post by Hillary »

Date Hiked: December 18, 2014
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and/or well maintained)

Trail is wide open and clear from Highway 1 to Cruikshank Camp where it meets Buckeye Trail. I didn't have to step over or around anything. The trail did remarkably well after the last couple of storms we had. Water flowing in all the tributaries.
jbl

Cruikshank Trail+Silver Peak Usetrail

Post by jbl »

Date Hiked: August 16, 2014
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

I hiked this trail between Highway 1 and the junction of the Silver Peak Usetrail (uphill to Buckeye Trail turnoff, then downhill all the way from Silver Peak Usetrail).

As I reported earlier, I would consider the section from Highway 1 to the Buckeye Trail junction as Wilderness Freeway. There is very minor encroaching brush but overall the trail width is very good and the tread is well maintained.

Based on the 6/21 report I was expecting to run into lots of brush on my way down from the Silver Peak Usetrail to the Buckeye Trail turnoff, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was very little encroaching brush (and no overhead obstacles) so perhaps someone has been working the trail since the 6/21 report. The biggest problem on this section is that there are multiple places on steep sidehills where there's been some serious erosion of the trail and/or sliding and extra care is needed in these spots.

The Silver Peak Usetrail from the Cruikshank Trail to the Silver Peak turnoff ranges from Wilderness Freeway to Passable. The aggressive (and typical) manzanita growth in places required you to push through branches at knee-thigh level, and in the one wooded section you've got to duck under lots of branches. Views from Silver Peak were great. The last register entry was in July, with a great description of the sunset.
gfelsman

Re: Cruikshank Trail HWY 1 to Buckey Trail Junction

Post by gfelsman »

Date Hiked: August 9, 2014

11 of us hiked this trail from HWY 1 to the Buckeye Trail Junction. The trail is clear all the way to Upper Cruikshank Camp. Lots of tread has been reworked making the trail easier to walk on. There is some encroaching brush. On our way to the camp we found several items of clothing along the trail and a group of young folks at upper Cruikshank Camp. They were having fun and seemed pretty wasted when we went by. We asked them to pack out all their trash, they said they would but we have our doubts. Lots of beer cans had already been tossed in the fire pit. We went up the meadow to the junction of Buckeye and Cruikshank Trail for a break. Then we continued to Buckeye Camp for lunch. There is one huge oak across the trail. The bypass is pretty easy at this time.

By the way hunting season started Saturday the 8th, 2014. We saw one hunter along this stretch of trail.

Our thanks go to the people who have been working this section of trail
Golden Family

Post by Golden Family »

Date Hiked: July 15, 2014

We were on a 3 Day Adventure.. We started at Highway 1 Salmon creek Trail head, up to fire road and the over to Cruickshank Trail down to Lions Den Camp. (I personally would not hike up Salmon creek trial this time of year and as over grown as it is right now again) But when We reached Cruickshank trail and headed down towards lions den on the 14th of July it was completely wide open. Stayed the night at Lions Den Camp never seen a single person up to this point. Cruickshank Trail was Passable all the way down to Villa Creek. there were a lot of low hanging branches and some encroachment but I felt spoiled after hiking Salmon Creek trail. We found water on the trail about half way down in a little creek and pumped water and filled everything we had. and then continued to Villa Creek... this was a beautiful trail and I would recommend it. There still was a lot of poison oak but it wasn't overgrown on the trail. Villa Creek was beautiful Even though our goal was to get to Buckeye Camp we had to Detour to Villa Creek to get more water and to relax and also we wanted to encounter some Redwoods. once we reached Villa Creek it was Beautiful and we hung out there for a bit and put our feet in the cool water and ate some food and Hydrated and Hydrated some more. We at that point seen 1 group of day hikers passing by. We hung out and relaxed for a while and then knew we needed to push on up Buckeye trail to Buckeye Camp. Will Continue on the Buckeye Trail report.
scott113341

Post by scott113341 »

Date Hiked: June 21, 2014

Hiked on Cruikshank trail westbound from the fire road/Lion Den Camp down to Highway 1.

From the fire road to Lion Den camp, the trail is an absolute wilderness freeway. Must have been cut back very recently.

From Lion Den Camp down to Upper Cruikshank Camp, the trail is passable. There is a lot of encroachment from the brush that lines the trail. Our group was backpacking, and we were hitting our packs on low-hanging branches across the trail frequently. Long pants not required for this section, but would definitely be nice. If you're the first person going through for the day, get a stick and wave it in front of you to knock down spider webs or prepare to get your face wrapped up hundreds of times.

From Upper Cruikshank Camp down to Highway 1 the trail is a wilderness freeway.

We found water along the trail at:
  • Lion Den Camp
    One small stream crossing about halfway between Lion Den Camp and Silver Camp
We didn't look around Upper/Lower Cruikshank camps for water, and we also didn't check Villa Creek.

We saw one group of about 8 people on a day hike and one man on a day hike.
jbl

Cruikshank Trail

Post by jbl »

Date Hiked: May 17, 2014

This is WILDERNESS FREEWAY (emphasis added) from the trailhead to the Buckeye Trail junction; zero encroachment of any kind, zero trees down, brush has been cut back to create a wide passage, I've never seen it in this good of shape.
pantilat

Post by pantilat »

Date Hiked: March 16, 2014

The Cruikshank Trail is clear along its entire length with the exception of some minor brush and blowdowns. There are a couple spots where the tread is narrow on steep/loose slopes and the poison oak is coming in on the upper stretches. Remarkable ecological diversity - I can't think of any plant species endemic to the Big Sur region that are missing from this trail, including a surprise grove of Santa Lucia Fir in upper Villa Creek Canyon.

Photo album here.
kgriffith99

Post by kgriffith99 »

Date Hiked: January 24, 2012
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

Very minor bushwhacking and minor washouts, other than that it is Wilderness freeway. Water is available from streams at all campsites, and at several points along the trail.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Date Hiked: January 24, 2014

DAVE - The Cruikshank trail is in excellet condition all the way to upper Cruikshank...THANK YOU TRAIL VOLUNTEERS!!! You can find a reliable water source 1/4 mile below lower Cruikshank Camp, and 100 yards north of Upper Cruikshank Camp on the Buckeye trail.
gfelsman

Re: Cruikshank Trail Great Shape

Post by gfelsman »

Date Hiked: December 26, 2013

Darlene and I hiked the Cruikshank Trail today, as it was very warm 85 to 90 degrees heading up the switchbacks. Once at the top the weather cooled and we continued on to Upper Cruikshank Camp. Then down to Villa Creek Camp for a snack, before returning to Highway 1.

All in all the Cruikshank Trail to Upper Cruikshank Camp is in the best shape it has been in for many years. Two gentleman have spent many hours on this trail brushing and grading the tread for a good portion of the 2.5 miles to the Camp. We thank them and the many other Volunteers who have worked on this trail in years past.

There is now a sign at Upper Cruikshank Camp pointing one towards Highway 1. We will see how long it stays there. the post it is on may become firewood. Hopefully everyone will respect the sign and leave it alone.

Villa Creek Camp has a sign as well saying Not a Through Trail. Villa Creek Camp was clean, Unfortunately, the fire pit has been enlarged greatly, more than what it really is needed.

Views were great on this hike we could see forever.

Water is still present at both Upper and Lower Camps, but one should have a bottle for collection. Villa Creek itself is the lowest I have ever seen it in all my years of hiking this trail.

Happy Hiking, and enjoy your hike on this wonderful trail
New Report