When will Ventana reopen?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Re: When will Ventana reopen?

Post by Guest »

The answer is June...EAST of Redwood Camp. The Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Sykes will remain CLOSED.

Post by guest »

The forest is closed, but it appears from the FS map that the Piney creek area is still open.

It would seem too, that the little sur trail from old coast road to the National forest might still be open?
Duane

Post by Duane »

Just a reminder (as if one is really necessary....) the southern Los Padres, particularly the San Rafael Wilderness, is not only open, but absolutely gorgeous this time of year. I highly recommend hiking out of the Nira campsite near the Manzana River, either upstream to Manzana Narrows or downstream to Schoolhouse. The trail is well maintained, you'll meet few people, and the destinations have that real "out in the middle of nowhere" vibe. Much more so, in my opinion, than all but the most remote portions of Henry Coe (again, imho!).

Next week, I'm doing either a three day 24 mile loop trip or a four day 50 mile trip out of Nira. Either option will be epic.

Post by Guest »

Don't hold your breath!

And yes, John Bradford is retiring in about a year.
joerad

Post by joerad »

Let hope the wilderness reopens for Memorial Day weekend, better yet May 1.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I hear John Bradford is going to retire soon. My guess is he just does not want to have any problems until that happens. What a perfect way for him to leave the job. The gov loves making personal decisions like this.
dknapp1

Post by dknapp1 »

The current order states June 1 as the reopen date.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/about ... n-indians/

dbk
bigsurkate

Post by bigsurkate »

April would be nice, but I suspect May is more likely. The State Park and Limekiln are closed until Memorial Day, in all likelihood. Some parts may open as early as April. My prediction, FWIW
bigsurkate

Post by bigsurkate »

Boon, I clarified my "tourist" by using clueless. I understand there are a lot of people who have been coming here for 20 years, and I doubt they are "clueless" - but I refer to people like the idiot who in July of 2000 started the Plaskett 2 fire by lighting his hot water heater with a piece of paper, which he promptly dropped in the dry grass. That's clueless.

Being a "local" here for 25 years, I have seen a lot. I have been shot at, I have had my gates rammed, vandalized, and my signs torn down. I have had trespassers who insist on their right to trespass. So, I admit a bias. On the other hand, I have seen wonderful work by the VWA members, and seen tourists, even new ones, who are more attuned to Mother Nature and this place than some "locals" I know. But clueless people can be dangerous, and I do not tolerate ignorance well.

bigsurkate
Boon

Post by Boon »

Kate: I think most of us recognize Josh's use of the term "Freddie" (or "Feddie") as a mildly pejorative reference to Forest Service employees, but I hope you'll take a moment to flesh out your own definitions for "clueless tourists," "locals," and perhaps even "VWA members." There happen to be a good number of folks on this forum, VWA members and not, who have spent the past 10, 15, 20 or more years hiking, camping, clearing trails, picking up litter, educating the public, volunteering for the USFS, reporting violations of the law (often committed by "locals") to the proper authorities, and generally spending the vast majority of their free time in the Ventana and Silver Peak Wilderness areas because they love it there, even though their mailing address isn't in Big Sur. Not everyone is in a position to live in Big Sur and be part of the "locals" in-crowd, nor even care to, so I hope that the brush being used to paint "clueless tourists" and "VWA members" is not an overly broad one (just as that used on USFS employees shouldn't be) and that any judgment of local Forest users character is being made based upon individual actions rather than mailing address or public discussion-board participation.

But back to the topic in question, I predict that the MRD will reopen on 1APR09, for the reasons that Josh points out. It's not scientific, but it makes common sense to keep it closed at least through the riskiest time of the year following a fire.

Boon Hughey
Atascadero, CA