When will Ventana reopen?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Betsy M

Re: When will Ventana reopen?

Post by Betsy M »

From Tom Hopkins:

I received a verbal confirmation this morning from the Forest Service that the Monterey Ranger District will be opened to the public on Friday, May 1, 2009 with two exceptions: the Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur to Redwood Camp will remain closed to public entry; as will Escondido Campground on the Arroyo Seco Indians Road. I was told that a Forest Service press release will be issued today confirming the opening.

The VWA has actively pursued the re-opening of the District effective April 15 which is the typical end of our storm season. Thanks to everyone for chiming in and helping to get our public lands open once again.

If you go into the backcountry area that burned in 2008, please remember that fire related hazardous remain in addition to the normal backcountry hazards. Standing dead trees and limbs will continue to fall, often times without warning. Many side slope trails have filled with dry ravel from burned areas upslope making footing treacherous, particular above steep drop offs. Many stream crossings have changed due to post fire erosion and some routes are harder to follow than normal. So, be careful out there, be prepared for the unexpected and have a great time. The spring bloom is spectacular.

Happy trails,
Tom Hopkins

Re: Little Sur Trail

Post by guest »

Dude, I cited the FS map as my source. What did you cite as your source? Your assertion that the trail is only there to access the FS is bogus! You are suggesting that hikers must hike the entire trail or not hike the trail at all... bogus.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/about ... ns/map.pdf

When you look at this map, what conclusions do you make of the closure of the little sur trail?
bigsukate

Post by bigsukate »

Spoke with Tammy of the USFS-KC today. She says the plan is to "open the forest" on May 1st, 2009. I did not clarify if that meant the WHOLE forest, or just this South Coast portion. Sorry for the lack of clarity, but might be worth a call on Monday.

Post by Guest »

I'm here to help.
AdamW88

Post by AdamW88 »

[quote="Guest"]Regarding that Little Sur River Trail off of Old Coast...That's a Forest Service easement that goes through El Sur Ranch property.

This trail is CLOSED.[/quote]

Thank you for clearing this up, since I only mentioned the closure there as well briefly in my rambling.

Post by Guest »

Regarding that Little Sur River Trail off of Old Coast...That's a Forest Service easement that goes through El Sur Ranch property.

This trail is CLOSED.
AdamW88

Post by AdamW88 »

The area the last message refers to is vague on all maps. Little Sur Ranch and Graniterock own land all around there.

The entire National Forest Trail (Little Sur River Trail) from where it leaves old coast road at an obvious turnout with a latched gate and signs, following the south fork of the little sur river, crossing it, and climbing up to and crossing the private Graniterock road is all access easement to the National Forest. If you look at the triangular section 3 on USGS maps, you will see that is all technically inholding land.

The maps are deceptive, showing a trail leaving Old Coast Road at the confluence of the 2 forks, when in reality the public trail starts at that gate about .2 miles up the road to the south near a small creek.

To anyone who hikes there frequently it is obvious, to newcomers it is understandably confusing on paper.

Since this trail is there *ONLY* to access the National Forest Land, IT IS CERTAINLY ALSO PART OF THE CLOSURE. Numerous signs said so at the turnout/ gate/ trailhead last time I was there.

On a important side note, I recommend everyone only cite "official" decision makers if you are going to claim something is open, to avoid trespassing and wandering into closed areas.

I'm sure Forest Service officials and landowners would be pretty unhappy with the VWA if a hiker trespassed or entered a closed area, when they thought it was OK by information on this forum.
Last edited by AdamW88 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by guest »

The little sur trail portion from old-coast road to the los padres forest boundary is not closed as near as I can tell from the map. That portion of trail was not burned in any fire recently nor is it within the national forest. I believe that this portion of the trail passes through some nice redwoods as it follows the little sur river.

Post by guest »

I found some cool pictures of the Ventana here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tass.stage/WinterRoad#

Post by Guest »

Oh, and John Bradford is retiring in May 2009. Tick tock folks.