Vado Camp Expedition

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

jack_glendening

Re: Vado Camp Expedition

Post by jack_glendening »

Sorry, did not see one. Will look more closely next time to see if it might be lying on the ground somewhere.

Jack
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
LJeffers

Post by LJeffers »

So glad that one can get into Vado Camp once more. I came in on a solo hike from Los Padres Dam via Big Pines and continued up Mt. Manual and down the East Molera Trail. That was in 1999 and the trail was sketchy, especially climbing Mt. Manual, but I had Schaeffer and and some advice from Boon Hughey to guide me. The Boy Scouts usually do a good job keeping trails open up on Pico Blanco; perhaps they could take this one under advisement. Is there still a rather ominous deer skull hanging from a redwood at Vado Camp?
wayne1

Post by wayne1 »

It was the best of times and it was the worse of times. I made it from Botchers Gap all the way to Vado. Thanks everyone for outstanding work on the trails and the ribbon markings. I tried following the trail out of Launtz and part of the trail was simply gone. Then it is in outstanding shape all the way to the boyscout camp. I was so fortunate to have Jack and Jesse out there to guide me back to the trail; because there was no trail immediately out of Launtz. They are working out there now. I walked up and down from Launtz. There was lots of rotten old wood which was very slippery. Then there was this really thick vine with vicious thorns that would wrap around your legs. Then when you came to a down tree and wanted to put your hand down to step over the thorns would bite into your hands while branches would slap you in the face. Vado camp is in outstanding shape. Someone removed all the dead trees from the camp.
jack_glendening

Roger

I do remember someone's boot falling apart on the Mt Defiance hike but did not know that was YOU!
(of course we weren't really acquainted at that time) Nice to make that connection after all these years.

Jack
wayne1

Post by wayne1 »

I am so excited about this. I loved Vado camp the times I have been there, Why is Launtz so clear? Has someone worked on that trail? I have gone out of Launtz and then just dropped down to river and it is a really easy way to get to Vado. I would love to do a trip out there but right now I am taking care of relative, Let me know if someone goes and I will try to jump in. Again so glad that it is possible to go to Vado. It is by far the nicest camp.
Gonehiking

Post by Gonehiking »

Bravo! I had gleaned from past reports this was a nice camp and your report proves it! Looking forward to getting out there this year sometime... I remember I had an epic boot failure when my tread came of my boot the first time I hiked with you up Mt Defiance.....

Roger
Attachments
timberland boot2.jpg
jack_glendening

jack_glendening

Vado Camp Expedition

December's Launtz Creek Camp expedition
http://www.ventanawild.org/forums/viewt ... 9636#p9636
found the route to Launtz Creek Camp in the best shape in years, allowing relatively quick passage to Launtz Creek Camp and making a day hike to "lost" Vado Camp a possibility. So I will attempt to get there sometime in January. If you are interested in joining, please email me with days which would work or not work for you.

Vado Camp is considered by many the quintessential redwood camp - secluded, peaceful, and seldom visited. A sign remains, but no picnic table.

This will be a "trail finding" expedition, looking for evidence of the historic Mt Manuel Trail. Based upon a previous trip, I expect the initial trail out from Launtz Creek Camp, beneath a forest canopy, to have reasonable tread, albeit many downed trees. But that section is relatively short and I expect very brushy conditions when the trail leaves Launtz Creek drainage, along the more open slope above the Little Sur River. There we must penetrate possibly heavy brush looking for evidence of old tread, using the trail description in Schaffer as a guide. This will be difficult, since even before the 2008 fire the Sierra Club Trail Guide reported this 3/4 mile section "in poor shape and difficult to follow". But we will try to locate it as best we can, at least in pieces, using Schaffer's map track as a guide.

We are NOT be expecting to clear the route - just locating it would be a major accomplishment. You must expect to do much brush bashing, and bring along loppers, and possibly a saw, to help get through the brush.

Jack