Bikes on Coastal Rd

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

steep rider

Re: Bikes on Coastal Rd

Post by steep rider »

What about the ride up from Hwy 1 to timber top.
That may be open to bicycle riding and the views are good.
outhigh

Post by outhigh »

I agree that the rd. between Arroyo Seco and the Indians is a great ride. I know that alot of riders look for singletrack as the ultimate high but that road is just as good if you ask me. No cars, lots of solitude in God's country, and if you do it as an out and back starting from Arroyo Seco you get a long, screaming fast downhill after a long day in the saddle. On one hand its too bad that the Coast Rd doesn't have more access but unfortunately, if it did, you'd get swarms of people up there. I love mtn biking but some places just need to be left alone. Big Sur is probably better off without lots of bike traffic. Keep it quiet. Keep it wild. Leave no trace.
Farley

Post by Farley »

The ride from the Indians to Arroyo Seco on the car-free, abandoned Arroyo-Seco Indians Road is one of the best rides in central California. Amazing views, nice mix of up, down and mellow flats through the heart of the Santa Lucia Mountains with no cars to fuss with. Route should be designated a National Scenic Trail; it is that rad.
dish

Post by dish »

you can also ride from Indians along the Indians/Arroyo Seco Rd....warning...LOTS of climbing
jonl

Post by jonl »

They are also allowed on the Coast ridge road north of Nacimiento Rd as far as Cone Peak and south of Nacimiento Rd for about 20 miles.
K Vandevere

Post by K Vandevere »

If you mean the Coast Ridge Rd., which begins at Ventana, bikes are not allowed. The result of an agreement between private land owners and the Forest Service. Bikes are allowed on the Old Coast Rd., between Bixby and Molera, however.
Jeff2012

Bikes on Coastal Rd

Post by Jeff2012 »

Is riding bikes on the coastal road at ventana inn allowed. Does anybody know. I think it is private land around the road