Beginner Hikers - Advice Needed.

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

dknapp1

Re: Beginner Hikers - Advice Needed.

Post by dknapp1 »

This time of year you won't need it, but on my list of essential equipment for hiking in the ventana is extra water and a bugnet.

dbk
David Knapp, Trail Crew Chief
cleber

Post by cleber »

thx for the advice Bigsurbob....
bigsurbob

Post by bigsurbob »

Pine Ridge Trail to Ventana Camp is a nice hike/camp. 4 miles up Pine Ridge, then a steep mile down to the river to the camp. Water availability...Big Sur River. Either spend two nights there and just hike around or spend the next night further up that trail at Barlow Flat camp or Sykes. This is a good time of year to to that since it can get overrun in the summer. To continue on, there's that steep mile out of Ventana camp and another 3 or so to Barlow Flat. Another 3 to Sykes.

Bottcher's Gap to Pat Springs 7.3 miles along the Skinner Ridge Trail. Great ridgeline hike with water at Pat Springs. It's just a spring-fed trough. Trail can get dicey past there...could make for a good day hike to continue further down Skinner Ridge Trail and just turn around and return to spend the second night at Pat Springs again.
cleber

Beginner Hikers - Advice Needed.

Post by cleber »

Hello All

Me and my wife (dog(labrador)) are now just getting the idea of a good hike around BigSur or any other place near bay-area.
We camp very often but never hike so now we want to change the pace and hike/camp around nature and wilderness.
So we are getting ready for our first 2 day hike (gathering gear etc), Nothing pro style hike just 2 newbee getting into the sport and nature
What would you guys suggest as we are new to the sport and location?
Trails?
Essential Equipment?
Thx
-=Cleber