Mountain Lion Sounds?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Site Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Mountain Lion Sounds?

Post by Site Administrator »

Hi All: Topic has been locked for now due to a spam attack.
John S

Post by John S »

Been hearing early morning mountain lion sounds for more than 20 years. Funny thing is the sounds described, as "waaaaaaaaarrrrrrrraaaaa" is as good as you can get without being there. Please note that more often than not the sounds come so close to 3:30 AM it's almost funny. I have also had several of these experiences when camped in the Ventana.

Here is what I know. When the mountain lion is hunting in these early hours and making the “waaaaaaaaarrrrrrrraaaaa" sound the lion is trying to get a deer, goat or what ever to flush and run from cover, because once that happens the kill is easy.

Several years ago I read a book about true African experiences by Alexander Lake "Animals that Lay in Wait and Hunters that Lie in Print”. The time was 1920 and in the very first chapter the lions are doing just as described (waaaaaaaaarrrrrrrraaaaa) with the purpose to get one of their oxen to run out into the darkness.

So yes this is normal mountain lion or even African lion behavior.

One other thing, the mountain lion also screams as described by others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH BOY! That is something all together different!!!
BrianD2

Post by BrianD2 »

About 1975 I was camped in the headwaters, Circular Pools, of the Little Sur River, upstream from the Boy Scout Camp; and a friend and I, about midnight, heard two lions go near our camp making a lot of noise. I gathered they were angry because our presence was disturbing their hunt. The only lion I have ever seen was at dusk up Carmel valley, at a place called Kashauwa sp.
prjc

Post by prjc »

sounds like you guys are right, after a few days & discussion amongst neighbors the consensus is that it was probably a fox. i had one hop out in front of me on a trail run once, the thing stood there started shreak-screaming @ me & ran off.

pj
Boon

Post by Boon »

Here's a list of some mountain lion sounds clips - any of these sound like what you heard? A few of them sound like my backpacking buddy Dave snoring at night, or at least so I thought.

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Cougar_Puma_Sounds.aspx

It may also have been a bobcat, which can make a pretty big sound for the size of the animal.
bigsurkate

Post by bigsurkate »

Mtn lion's call are long, loud, and unmistakable. Truly sounds like a woman in extreme agony, screaming for her life. Duane's description doesn't fit the mtn. lions I have heard, and I've heard dozens of calls, even seen them 1/2 dozen times. Incredible creatures, but really, if you've ever heard one, you are unlikely to confuse it with a domesticated cat having coitus, or an owl, or anything else, other than a woman screaming for her life -- or the majestic mountain lion.
Duane

Post by Duane »

I've heard what sound like owls screeching at Nira car camp. Could those have been mountain lions instead? It sounded like a short sharp EEAAAAAAHHH!
bigsurkate

Post by bigsurkate »

All the mountain lions I have ever heard sound like a woman screaming in extreme agony. It is unforgetable. It raises the hairs on the back of your neck. If it sounded at all like a regular domestic cat, it probably was. A domestic cat having sex, sounds completely different than at other times.
prj

Mountain Lion Sounds?

Post by prj »

Heard an odd type of wail-growl last night @ my house in a semi wooded part of Northern SLO Co. It was a very loud sounding "waaaaaaaaarrrrrrrraaaaa" for lack of a better way of expressing it. It was 3 a.m. & it brought some of the neighbors out it was so loud. Certainly much, much louder than any type of house cat. Went on for 5 minutes on & off.

I'm guessing it could have been a female lion in heat?