Lowest traffic trails/destinations?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

lori

Re: Lowest traffic trails/destinations?

Post by lori »

Perhaps you should join the trail crew? Or at least email them. Some of them are on the forum, like Betsy.

They have a meetup - http://www.meetup.com/Ventana-Wildernes ... ce-Meetup/

A friend who's local usually carries a small hand saw, works on a few trail crews, but you can't always get around a monkey - climb through a blown down madrone.

There are indeed trainings, and certifications for using things like big saws. But I don't think it takes any certification to use a hand saw or pair of shears.
jerb

Post by jerb »

Thanks for the input, Lori and Fedak!
I dunno, I've been at Pat Springs along with 25 other people I didn't even know....
Yea, that wouldn't be ideal. :)

I see a couple of interesting routes coming in from the east side and ending around Ventana Cone so I think we may try that out.

Just a side question, what's the etiquette with respect to clearing obstructed trails? I've always tried to just do some sort of minimal impact side-stepping but it seems like Ventana is mostly maintained by the VWA volunteers, so perhaps crowd sourcing these efforts is encouraged in Ventana? Perhaps one has to take some kind of class first to ensure best practices are followed?
Hillary

Post by Hillary »

Majority of the time I don't see anybody on my treks. But I also avoid the popular areas and busy times of the year, even if it means a little discomfort (bushwhacking, flies, heat, PO). The long drive across the valley to the Sierras doesn't always fit the schedule (and sometimes they have mosquitoes!). If you are patient, diligent, and resourceful there is tremendous solitude to be had in both the Ventana and the great state of California. If you know how to deal with PO (to which I'm terribly sensitive) and flies, the rest can be managed and enjoyed.
lori

Post by lori »

I dunno, I've been at Pat Springs along with 25 other people I didn't even know....
fedak

Post by fedak »

Just stay away from the PRT to Sykes and you shouldn't have issues with crowds.
John Fedak
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html
lori

Post by lori »

You need to be careful when planning trips in Ventana. The less traveled trails are also going to be the ones that are not in good shape -- brushy, lots of deadfall, lots of poison oak, or just... gone.

Have a good look at bigsurtrailmap.net before going any further.

Old maps show campsites and trails that no longer exist. If you are not interested in a total bushwhack, you'll want to check the trail report forums here, and this map, before you head anywhere off the "beaten path."

Also, in summer it will be VERY hot, and the water sources are sometimes dried up -- another reason to look at the updates in the forums here.

It will be easier, much easier, to find the solitude you seek in the high Sierra, off the John Muir Trail or the High Sierra Trail corridors. When trails in the Sierra go away you can use map navigation skills and find your way without needing to push through endless brush nightmare.
jerb

Post by jerb »

Or to phrase it another way that may be easier, is there any listing of all Ventana Wilderness trails ordered by rate of foot traffic?

Thanks!
jerb

Lowest traffic trails/destinations?

Post by jerb »

Hey all, I'm new to the forum!

I was hoping you folks could give me a recommendation or two. My fiancé and I recently did the Hetch-hetchy loop and for three days we didn't see any other humans. It was truly peaceful and over the years, we've found that's the kind of wilderness experience that we seek. We're hoping to find that a little bit closer to home (San Mateo) than the Sierras.

I've been down the Pine Ridge trail four or five times now, mostly to Ventana Camp due to the crowds beyond, but that's about it. We could go back there as it's pretty lovely and dodges the Sykes crowd, but I was looking at the map and realized that the area is just so huge that there must be other relatively secluded areas in Ventana Wilderness. I've tried to find lists of the trails by popularity and the big ones pop out fast but of course the less popular ones don't seem to be discussed. Our experience is that even seemingly unremarkable places often have a nice charm to them!

Maybe you don't wish to give up your favorite secret spot, and I understand, but if anyone has suggestions for little gems where one might find a nice and isolated wilderness experience, I would love to hear about them. :)

thanks!