twitchell flat road

This is the place to discuss anything related to trail maintenance or restoration. General trail questions should be posted in the Ventana Discussion forums.

Moderators: Betsy M, VWA Admin 2, dknapp1

trolleypup

Re: twitchell flat road

Post by trolleypup »

Usable and intermittently flagged as of August of 2011. Some intermittent light brushing has been done in recent months. SP does not have resources or time to work on it. The old trail section in the immediate vicinity of Twitchell Spring is almost completely buried in brush.
Come join the VWA Trail Crew
jack_glendening

Post by jack_glendening »

It was useable in Aug 2010.
Big Sur Trailmap: https://bigsurtrailmap.net
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

The ascent up twitchell and continuing up the ridgeline to twin peak is an excellent day hike. Does anyone know if that route is still usable after the 2008 fires?
shtunk

Post by shtunk »

I don't understand why that fine wilderness access route is left off many maps. It is a fine route.
C M Heard

Post by C M Heard »

Actually, the Twitchel Flat Road was last cleared during the 2008 Chalk Fire to allow hand crews to drive up to the flat for the construction of the hand line up to Twin Peak. A bunch of stuff fell on the road when the fire burned through the West Fork drainage, and as you note it's gotten badly overgrown in the three years since the fire. Yes, it happens that quickly!

//cmh
thurston

twitchell flat road

Post by thurston »

The road to Twitchell flat up from hiway one is disappearing. I think it was last cleared for the Kirk fire in '99 but now is getting choked with fennel and pampas on the lower end and natives farther on. I suppose SP has no funds to clear it and, if I rememeber right, a piece of it is in private ownership. One good thing- no power tool restrictions (I think) - so maintaining it would be easier if funds appear. It is a very useful connector to the Stone ridge trail which is almost open.