Los Padres open south of Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Elmer Fudd

Re: Los Padres open south of Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd

Post by Elmer Fudd »

Don't be such pussies! Please tell me how many hikers are shot by hunters...0 As a person who has been through many hunter safety classes, hunters are responsible for very few shooting accidents. When that happens it us the hunter themselves who is hurt...the number of times a hunter hurts another person is infinitesimal...

By the way, where is the best trail head to use to hunt bandtail pigeons? Thanks.
gfelsman

Post by gfelsman »

Mike:

I would agree with this recommendation as well. Even if they only opened up the Vicente Flat Trail from Highway 1 only. At least this way folks would have to walk pretty far to reach the burned area.

If they open up Cone Peak Road, they would have to patrol it to keep people out of the burned areas.

Just Thoughts an ideas to open a bit more area for the public.
C M Heard

Post by C M Heard »

[quote="darryl"]
The monterey ranger district's decision to not open up the rest of the forest is the reason for this. Just how it is. The Yollo-bolly wilderness area fire (fire almost as big as the ventanna one, and was "put out" much latter) was opened up for hunting/hiking/access - the monterey ranger district is just a little too conservative, and you saw the result of that.
[/quote]

I'm in favor of opening up the areas that did not burn (specifically the Cone Peak Area, where I am now working, with Forest Service permission), but I don't think the Forest Service is being too conservative in keeping the burn areas closed. There are still occasional flareups in some places, and there are other places with the vegetation almost totally burned away. Where that has occurred on steep hillsides gravity is doing its work, and dry ravel is coming down the hill and filling in the trail. It can be exceedingly hazardous to hike in such places -- it's a lot like walking on a bed of ball bearings.

Mike Heard
darryl

Post by darryl »

[quote="jbl"]Re: Hunting--

I walked up over to Dutra Flat camp from Highway 1 last Saturday (the 13th), and saw and heard more hunters than ever before. For the first time ever, I actually got a little nervous as I kept hearing shots fired off in the distance. I saw 3 separate groups of hunters, and I heard shots from a number of different locations (both on the grassy ridges on the ocean side of the Bald Top-Mount Mars ridgeline and also in the Dutra/San Carpoforo drainage) so there were clearly a number of other groups off in the distance as well. I was glad to be wearing my orange shirt and orange and green hat. I can't wait for hunting season to be over.[/quote]

Look at it this way... The Monterey ranger district basically told "hunters" AND "hikers" - there was only one small area they could go to... So that's what the hunters did (and hikers) - they where all concentrated in one area, so it's not a big surprise that you saw a lot more hunters than ever before. The deer in that area (south of Nacimento/Furgussen Rd had more hunting pressure than ever before.

The monterey ranger district's decision to not open up the rest of the forest is the reason for this. Just how it is. The Yollo-bolly wilderness area fire (fire almost as big as the ventanna one, and was "put out" much latter) was opened up for hunting/hiking/access - the monterey ranger district is just a little too conservative, and you saw the result of that.

- Darryl
gfelsman

Post by gfelsman »

Just a note, yes there are backcountry ranges out there. On the first day of opening, the my friend told me he saw the ranger as several people were unware of the closure despite the large signs at all the trailheads. The ranger did give out one citation for a illegal campfire
ted

Post by ted »

So has anyone actually been backpacking in the Silver Peak yet? Is it full of undercover rangers posing as deer, waiting for someone to start an illegal campfire? Is it full of solitude seekers with nowhere else to go spacing themselves evenly apart at the few campsites available?

I love the Silver Peak but I might just have to wait 'til winter when its all rainy and noone else wants to go camping . . .
jbl

Post by jbl »

Re: Hunting--

I walked up over to Dutra Flat camp from Highway 1 last Saturday (the 13th), and saw and heard more hunters than ever before. For the first time ever, I actually got a little nervous as I kept hearing shots fired off in the distance. I saw 3 separate groups of hunters, and I heard shots from a number of different locations (both on the grassy ridges on the ocean side of the Bald Top-Mount Mars ridgeline and also in the Dutra/San Carpoforo drainage) so there were clearly a number of other groups off in the distance as well. I was glad to be wearing my orange shirt and orange and green hat. I can't wait for hunting season to be over.
darryl

Post by darryl »

BTW - there is one other "hunt" Nov 8-30 - but only in the Ventana Wilderness itself - and that only assumes it get's "opened". There are only 25 people who "Won the Department of Fish & Game drawing" for this hunt.
Boon

Re: Deer Season closes 21SEP

Post by Boon »

Very good point, Chris. Even during normal years it can be a little hazardous out there during deer season, but this one is likely even moreso. After considerable time poking around the DFG website I was finally able to determine that deer season in our zone ends on 21SEP. We can all celebrate the equinox with a carefree hike in the Silver Peak the next day.
chris trimble

Post by chris trimble »

yes we're all glad to finally be allowed entrance to the hallowed grounds. i'd like to point out the fact that there are a gaggle of frustrated deer hunters out there. they missed a month of frolicking and you can expect to see scores of trucks at the trailheads. personally, i don't look good in orange. see you all in october.