Rave Parties

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

slocamper

Re: Rave Parties

Post by slocamper »

My friends and I were unfortunate enough to camp at Prewitt one weekend when the ravers were in full flower. This was a few years ago so it sounds like a fairly regular thing. No kidding, there were multiple 6 foot tall speakers with the amps to drive them. The drums and the pulsating electronic vibe lasted until the break of dawn and made for a miserable nights sleep. If they had shut it down at 2 a.m. nobody would have cared but these guys didn't even bother to show up until 10 p.m. and the pounding didn't stop for 8 hours!
dknapp1

Post by dknapp1 »

FYI - I deleted a post.

dbk
David Knapp, Trail Crew Chief
bigsurkate

Post by bigsurkate »

bigsurbob wrote:By "damage done to the environment and to the wildlife," are you talking about the inevitable litter and waste? Besides the noise, how is this different than huge groups of hunters, campers, etc. If you can't bang a drum at Prewitt, where can you!?
Tell me where you live, and I'll send them your way. :lol:
bigsurkate

Post by bigsurkate »

It is a lot different. Hunters sleep, don't come in packs of 200, and don't shoot non-stop for two days. I'm not against "banging" drums. I am against all night. I mean ALL night -- non-stop -- with amplifiers. If my nerves get on edge, you don't think the local wildlife is affected? Local USFS campgrounds have a noise curfew of 10 pm. Prewitt should be different? :roll:
bigsurbob

Post by bigsurbob »

By "damage done to the environment and to the wildlife," are you talking about the inevitable litter and waste? Besides the noise, how is this different than huge groups of hunters, campers, etc. If you can't bang a drum at Prewitt, where can you!?
AdamW88

Post by AdamW88 »

Upon seeing the title of this post, I though it would be some kind of weird spam :D

Take photos of the area when they leave, or film/ record them or them or the noise as evidence.

Maybe you and/or your neighbors could go pay the ravers a visit and tell them to stop, or somehow observe if there is any illegal drug/substance use going on- common with ravers. If you suspect there is non-environmental illegal activity there, especially involving minors, call 911 and tell the police you saw this-it will get routed to the Sheriff. This would very likely get a quick and permanent response. And if the police show up the next day (or if the Forest Service ever does) and they find controlled substances- or paraphernalia (or hypodermic needles, they really get the police attention).

I'm not saying its all about the possible drug use or even if the ravers are using drugs, some some ideas how to get Law Enforcement involved or to care a little more.
bigsurkate

Rave Parties

Post by bigsurkate »

Rave Parties are becoming a problem down here on Prewitt Ridge. We had one this weekend with amplifiers and bass and drums going all night long -- literally -- for two nights and part of three days. One person with good hearing heard it over on top of Willow Creek. The last one before this was two weeks ago, also with loud music all night for two nights. Another with over 200 people was held the end of August. I can only imagine the damage done to the environment and to the wildlife, particularly if the current increase in frequency I am witnessing is allowed to continue.

I have called LEO of the USFS all three times. The one in August was monitored. As far as I know, nothing was done about the last two smaller ones. I have been in contact with Sherry Tune and shared my concerns. The USFS is looking into it and is discussing the issue. Ranger Tune will be taking a field trip to the area in a few weeks.

I don't know what the answer is, but I know that in developed USFS campgrounds, there is a "noise" curfew of 10 pm. That is not practical in the back country, as there is no one to enforce it, but there has to be something we can do to stop the assault on our wilderness areas.

I am hoping for dialogue and suggestions by posting here.