Skinner Ridge Trail

Ali Bay

Re: Skinner Ridge Trail

Post by Ali Bay »

Date Hiked: June 22, 2024
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Started from the hoist up long ridge road, at about 3:30 (pretty warm day though breezy) caught the iron trail marker in to turner creek trail.
Trail faint however fairly easy to follow, encountered a small rattlesnake about where I heard water start running in the creek. Lots of poison oak either side and had to walk slowly and very carefully much of the time (I reckon in a month or so if trail not used will be pretty overgrown with poison oak). Carrying two quarts from the beginning, filled up on trail ( there are three well moving creeks along trail including Apple Tree until junction for Skinner Ridge.

My goal was to get to lone pine camp on second day, comings camp first day. I arrived at devils peak around 7pm and decided to camp there with about 1/2 quart of water. Awesome sunset followed by a full moon, absolutely wonderful. Heard coyotes yelping, pretty cool. Devils peak was the highlight.
Next morning drank remainder of water and headed to Comings Camp which was about about a mile away downhill. Encountered the trail marker and after poking around couldn’t discern any path into Comings Camp save a few animal trails in to the madrone thickets. I decided to push to Pat Springs another 2.5 miles or so away and hiked about 3/4 mile losing the trail. I think I actually picked up and followed a well used animal trail for awhile. After missing comings camp I wasn’t confident to search out pat springs having no water. My decision was to head back and look for comings camp. After reaching the junction again I saw what I thought was a use trail, probably animal, and bushwhacked in the direction shown on my map keeping eye and feel of contours of the slope. I suppose I bustled through and hand sawed about .4 of a mile and couldn’t hear water or discern any path after crossing a few animal or human paths along the way. I felt really disoriented and thirsty , turned back to think it through.
I figure if I hiked the ass kicking mile up to devils peak I could easily walk another mile an a half downhill to Apple Tree and taste some of the best water I will ever taste in my life. It was turning warmer by the hour .
And so, after pausing every 75 feet or so in some shade I made it to the peak, thank Almighty God.
I made my way down to the trail junction, turned onto Turner Creek Trail and soon found Apple Tree filling my quart bottles and adding the tablets. In the fifteen minutes for the water to treat I built a small fire to get the insects off of me. I drank, and drank, and drank. I made a cup of tea and layed down for about an hour, perhaps falling asleep. I filled my quarts again and head back to long ridge road, moving carefully to avoid the poison oak. When walking down the road I was really surprised at the incline down to the hoist, I had to step carefully at times so as not to slip and fall.
jborro

Post by jborro »

Date Hiked: May 12, 2024

Hiked this trail from Turner Creek to Devil's Peak. The trail is passable. The tread is well-defined but the brush is overgrown to a point where you have to push through.
Mickey Rush

Post by Mickey Rush »

Date Hiked: March 18, 2024

Skinner Ridge between Turner Creek and Pat Spring is generally easy to follow, with some deadfalls.
Peaches_offtrail

Post by Peaches_offtrail »

Date Hiked: February 17, 2024
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

There is a bypass from the old skinner ridge trail -- fairly easy to follow and somewhat well cut. It definitely had some brush in the way which made it difficult to navigate at times, but for the most part it was fairly passable.

I've recorded a GPX of the track for the bypass: https://caltopo.com/m/LVK6J
calhobson

Post by calhobson »

Date Hiked: February 13, 2023
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Turner creek junction to pat spring is clear, looked like recent clearing had been done on the section between turner creek intersection and devils peak.
sfrake

Post by sfrake »

Date Hiked: May 14, 2023

This is an update of the report below. From the Turner Creek Trail junction to Devil's Peak, the trail is now clear. What a contrast from two months ago! The rest of the report below is still generally apt. Thanks so much to whoever did the trail work!

The short section that I mentioned below up to Pat Springs is technically part of the VDC Trail, and I'd consider it now passable, but there's heavy chaparral to push through.
sfrake

Post by sfrake »

Date Hiked: March 26, 2023

My son and I attempted a hike to VDC from The Hoist on 3/26, but the going was so slow that we ended up turning around well short (the base of Uncle Sam Mountain).

The Skinner Ridge Trail was passable-difficult up to Devils Peak, with a number of blowdowns (on our return, we opted to go straight down the old fire break...it wasn't much faster, but we were tired of negotiating fallen trees by that point).

It was passable-clear from Devils Peak to the junction with the Big Pines Trail. From there it got slower. Up to Pat Springs, which also includes a short section of the Ventana Double Cone Trail, it was passable-difficult (see the VDC Trail report).
pantilat

Post by pantilat »

Date Hiked: April 3, 2022

From Turner Creek Junction to the Pat Springs area the trail is clear. The tread in the grassy areas is a little uneven with grass growing in it.

Note that the set of switchbacks on the north side of the ridge between Devils Peak and the Pine Creek Trail/Comings Camp junction (which was the original tread) is no longer in use and presumed to have a lot of deadfall and brush growth. The "trail" now heads straight down the firebreak ridgeline in a short but steep pitch.
geoffvirtue

Post by geoffvirtue »

Date Hiked: February 6, 2022

Bumped into John trail running back here on Sunday. Was a beautiful weekend to summit VDC and the trail is in great shape.

[Wilderness Freeway] Turner Creek to Pat Springs via Skinner Ridge - Trail is wilderness freeway from where Skinner Ridge picks up from Turner Creek. Tread was recently cleared by locals and was a pleasure to walk. Coming up into Devil's Peak is a hard ascent so be prepared, the reward on a clear day is beautiful though.

Last water we encountered on trail was following Turner Creek though if you cut down to Comings Cabin you'd be able to grab some additional.

Very little PO on the trail, though 1 or 2 patches, so make sure you have long pants on. No ticks present in this section.
willlma

Post by willlma »

Date Hiked: April 18, 2021

We hiked from the Hoist on Palo Colorado Road to Pat Springs campsite via Long Ridge Road, Turner Creek trail, and Skinner Ridge trail. When we arrived on Skinner Ridge trail, looking toward Botcher's gap, the trail had little tread. Ventana Wilderness Alliance (VWA) volunteers cleared sections of the Turner Creek trail and the portion of Skinner Ridge trail up to Devil's peak, which is now clear and easy to follow. The ridge after Devil's Peak was clear (and beautiful). The final section after the Big Pines intersection was also passable, and looked like it had been recently cleared.

Trails that led off our route all looked difficult. Big Pines didn't really have a defined tread and Comings Camp looked a little overgrown (though that's just grass so other than ticks I don't think it would be hard to follow).
New Report