Mount Carmel Trail

jdoelman

Re: Mount Carmel Trail

Post by jdoelman »

Date Hiked: March 2, 2023
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

There was a foot of snow or more on the “trail”. The way up to devils peak early in the morning was relatively easy on the consolidated hard snow. From devils peak to mt Carmel the snow had softened which resulted in unpleasant postholing and falling through folded over brush which seemed to cover the trail about 1/2 of the way. Along the middle 1/2 of the trail we went xcountry while consulting the gps to confirm we were near or on the trail.
Even without the snow it appeared fallen trees and folded over brush have seriously impacted the usefulness of this trail
KurtT

Post by KurtT »

Date Hiked: May 27, 2023
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

Trail is completely gone about 500 feet north of Devil's Peak, covered by blown down trees and overgrown brush. I was using GPX tracks showing me right on top of the trail but could not even distinguish the tread besides perhaps a 20 foot section that could only be reached by traversing on fallen trees. After spending about 20 minutes trying to go a few hundred feet I called it off. Perhaps the trail gets better after this initial section but I highly doubt it.
william

Post by william »

Date Hiked: February 5, 2022
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Question:
Where is the start for the Mount Carmel hike? I’ve hiked it many times in the ancient past starting at Botchers Gap. I don’t think it’s accessible now.
jdoelman

Post by jdoelman »

Date Hiked: January 15, 2022
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Views from the top were nice.
One obstacle required crawling under.
jdoelman

Post by jdoelman »

Date Hiked: January 8, 2022

Some trail clearing has been done. I saw some small patches of snow on the north side of the peak.
The turner creek trail is better than it has been in a long time! Well done
BP22

Post by BP22 »

Date Hiked: November 13, 2021
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

this rating pertains to the short trail from Devil's Peak to Mount Carmel. To put it simply, 5 years after the fire, Mother Nature is reclaiming this mountain. The trail starts off clear as it dips through a saddle between Mt Carmel and devil's peak, but quickly becomes very brushy on the ascent. The trail is apparent, for awhile, but you bushwhacking in no time, and negotiating annoying deadfalls. The faint trail spurs off in several directions and becomes confusing, I followed Jack's Gps from Big Sur Trail Maps, and it worked great, it was just annoying plowing through brush.
The trail from Long ridge all the way up to Devil's peak is clear.
jpdoelman

Post by jpdoelman »

Date Hiked: April 11, 2021
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

The "Lot of brush to push through" reported in the last status report is becoming a real problem so the "Difficult" rating.
Alan Harder

Post by Alan Harder »

Date Hiked: February 5, 2021

The middle portion between Devil's Peak and Mount Carmel has a lot of brush to push through, but no major obstacles. The trail is a bit hard to follow in a couple places, but following the ridge you can't get far off track.
casserly79

Post by casserly79 »

Date Hiked: February 1, 2020

Started at The Hoist. Followed Long Ridge Road until the trail turnoff. The trail all the way to Skinner Ridge was clear and easy to follow. There was minimal poison oak. I brought my clippers and trimmed back any encroaching brush. From Skinner Ridge, I first continued along the trail which remained easy to follow, but had patches of what appeared to be Buckthorn growing in places. I also trimmed back some of this brush. The trail reconnected with the firebreak, and since it was mostly brush free with a shorter direct route, I followed this to Devils Peak. The trail from Devil's Peak to Mt Carmel was in the poorest condition, however I would still rate it passable. What made it slightly more difficult was the brushy oak that covered this section, as it is harder to trim and slightly prickly to pass through. By this point, you can see the summit so route finding is trivial; just stay atop the ridge. One the way back, I took the firebreak along Skinner Ridge all the way down because it is more direct. Our group only spotted two ticks along the way. 13 miles, 4k ft gain RT. GPS track can be found in link below.
https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1322134
Jim Ringland

Post by Jim Ringland »

Date Hiked: April 18, 2019

Not a lot of change from the earlier reports. There's now as small cairn at the junction with the Ventana Double Cone Trail, but it may not be real obvious where the trail goes. Contour a bit left rather than going up the hill. Heading on, it's mostly thin but follow-able trail, although near the summit one is sometimes just threading between shrubs on otherwise open gravelly ground. Since the route basically follows a ridge out to the high point, there are no real route-finding issues even where the trail is faint.

The views from Mt. Carmel are limited by all the standing burnt-out shrub oak stalks, although there's a nice open vista to the sea. I opted not, but by clambering up on the rocks, you could probably get a pretty decent 360 degree vantage. The old post you could once climb on for a better view is long gone, but some of the hardware remains.
New Report