De Angulo Trail

Randompeaks

Re: De Angulo Trail

Post by Randompeaks »

Date Hiked: May 19, 2024
General Condition: Impassable (completely overgrown or tread obliterated)

Not impassable because the trail is overgrown or anything but because a man (bare upper body with a big tattoo) ran up to me after I entered the lower road-like part from Hwy 1 and claimed trail access is closed to the public, then started to push me physically down the trail. He even pushed me further outside of the gate that is at the bottom towards the Hwy 1 roadway. A very scary and dangerous encounter and it would be important to ascertain what is the legal status of this lower portion of the trail and whether hikers do or do not have the right to access the De Angulo trail from Hwy 1. If not, this trail will fall into disrepair sooner or later.
hydrologic

Post by hydrologic »

Date Hiked: April 16, 2024
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and/or well maintained)

Trail is in amazing shape. Very little encroaching brush, no downed trees, and tread restored. Thank you VWA!

Lots of private property signs. Ran into a caretaker that insisted, because of the private property, the trail is "closed" to the public. Being a local she was ok with us passing but it seems she might be misinformed of the public's right to pass through.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Date Hiked: December 10, 2023
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

Same as previous report. This was my first time on this trail, and I was pretty impressed. It is definitely steep in parts, but there are many switchbacks. The signage looked recent and in good condition.

IMO The actual trail was in better condition than parts of the first mile or so of road :)

I took the direct route up (the "usetrail") on Saturday and took the standard finish back down on Sunday. I see where the big tree would have been a problem before, but there is a workable detour now. I think the standard finish is worth the extra fraction of a mile.
VWA_Ranger

Post by VWA_Ranger »

Date Hiked: December 2, 2023

Several volunteer VWA/USFS Rangers patrolled the trail from Highway 1 to the North Coast Ridge Road. For the most part the trail is clear with encroaching brush. There are two trees near the summit about 1 foot in diameter each.
Attachments
Tree down across the trail in the brush tunnel
Tree down across the trail in the brush tunnel
Bobby Steger

Post by Bobby Steger »

Date Hiked: February 8, 2023

The De Angulo Trail is now in terrific condition. The lower section of the trail has been worked by VWA volunteers and is in superb, safe status. This historic route is well worth the hike.
Betsy M

Post by Betsy M »

Date Hiked: October 16, 2022

VWA trail crew volunteers completed a second weekend of work on the brushy section of the De Angulo Trail. Most of the brush has been cleared, and most of the tread has been restored to good condition.
Corridor of genista from road section.jpg
Volunteer work included tread realignment in many sections where brush had caused hikers to step off the trail and walk several feet below where the original tread had been. This trail has lots of steep sections but is a great option for accessing Cold Springs and the Big Sur Trail.

The trail starts at a driveway 1.0 miles south of the Torre Canyon bridge. It follows this driveway, and a private road, for the first mile. Even though the entrance to the driveway from Highway One has a chain across it saying Private Property, there is a right of way for hikers. After that first mile on the private road, watch for the trail turn off.
Sign leaving road.jpg
colomex94

Post by colomex94 »

Date Hiked: March 4, 2021
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

I hiked up Boronda trail and took the North Coast Ridge Road South towards the De Angulo trail. The trail marker is clearly marked from North Coast Ridge Road. There is a huge tree fallen on the trail about 100 yards from North Coast Ridge Road. I would say it is impassable at that point. I did not want to risk my life going past the tree. The trail at that point is also on a cliff side.
AncientDunes

Post by AncientDunes »

Date Hiked: August 6, 2020
General Condition: Difficult (brushy and/or many deadfalls, faint tread)

Walked from the hwy up to the trailhead. Homeowner's dogs were curious but relatively friendly.
Hiked the trail up to the Coast Ridge road. Trail is pretty overgrown most of the way up to the ridge but discernable. Switchbacks and saddles through some redwood stands, manzanita groves and then eventually rocky traversing and switchbacks.
Poison Oak very abundant in and around the trail. Wear pants and long sleeves unless immune. Great challenging trail with spectacular views. Very rewarding hike for the unique vantage points (you can see north and south for many miles along that part of the coast. And relative short length for the location. Tops out above the clouds and is pretty spectacular.
However, it is STEEP. We did it with packs packed for 3 days and it was a grind.

Post by Guest »

Date Hiked: April 12, 2020
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

Some brushy sections indeed but very limited downfalls. Descending, the trail was pretty easy to follow. The condition of the trail seemed to gradually worsen going down with the worst sections being near where the trail meets the road. Still, very passable to those willing to push through some minor brush.
jpdoelman

Post by jpdoelman »

Date Hiked: April 12, 2019
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

The trail has some brush between the jeep road portion of the trail (the 1st mile of the trail) and the elevation of the highest homes on Partington Ridge. Above that point there is no brush. Doing the loop, up the boronda trail, then down the De Angulo then back to the car at the bottom of the Boronda trail requires walking along Hwy 1, and over a long bridge.
New Report