having second thoughts

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

VWA_Ranger

Re: having second thoughts

Post by VWA_Ranger »

Just a heads up a new post on the Pine Ridge Trail. Washout near Barlow Flat.
VWA_Ranger

Post by VWA_Ranger »

Kirk Creek is notorious for ticks especially along the first two miles in April. It is a long sunny slope with lots of deerweed and brush.

I know a portion of the Pine Ridge Trail is exposed in sun before you head into the canyon. How brushy it is as of now I can't tell you.

Here are few suggestions if you are worried about ticks.

1. Do not wear jeans, or long pants that have a heavy knap. It is really hard to pick any bug or tick off pants like these. Lightweight pants, that are partially nylon or other smooth material will allow any ticks if encountered to just fall off the pant legs. You still have ot check now and then. But it makes going much easier.
2. You can always do a day hike, to Terrace Creek and back, or head up Terrace Creek Trail to the dirt road, then walk back down 4 miles to the Ventana Inn. Then have someone pick you up. Both are about 11 miles.
3. Check in at the Big Sur Ranger Station when you get there to get the latest information on trail conditions.

Hope that helps.
pvanderloo

Post by pvanderloo »

@VWA_Ranger
The family is camping at Pfieffer State beach campground for a few days. Then, only I and my dog were going to hit the trailhead down the street and head into Ventana.
But if the ticks are anything like the vid I watched on youtube I think I'll take a rain check.
These 3 guys were checking each other for ticks every time they stopped for a break and usually at least one of them had ticks to remove. This was down south at Kirk Creek but I've heard before that Ventana is a tick haven.
As I mentioned, I can't imagine how disgusting it would be to have a tick embedded in the middle of your back that you can't reach and have to live with till you get home.
VWA_Ranger

Post by VWA_Ranger »

If this is a family outing and you want to a trip on the Pine Ridge Trail. Sykes can be crowded as one mentions. Terrace Creek or Barlow Flat might be better options, then hike to Sykes or other options.

Be sure to have a valid campfire/stove permit as well.

Enjoy your travels.
crockettonearth

Post by crockettonearth »

Tree your gear with [url][url]Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent[/url][/url]. It will kill ticks when they contact your clothing and gear.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... 164&sr=8-5

Consider leaving your dog at home or in daycare.

Avoid Sykes. It's the worst camp in the wilderness area for many reasons.

That said, if a party atmosphere in a crowded shallow warm pool is your thing you might like it. If not try any other camp. They are all better IMO. Best of luck!
pvanderloo

having second thoughts

Post by pvanderloo »

We were having a famiiy camping trip in April at Pfieffer and I was going to hit the trailhead from there and hike to Sykes camp.
But after watching a Youtube Vid yesterday where a group of guys did the Ventana flats route from Kirk Creek to Cone Peak and along the way accumulated a collection of ticks.
I'm just not wanting to deal with the thought of hiking alone, (with my dog), and getting a tick somewhere on my body where I can't reach to remove it. Sickening thought.
Is it like this on all the trails?
Is there a better time of year to avoid or minimize the risk?
I really don't want to cancel but the thought of that unreachable tick is haunting me.
Advice?