Fording S. Fork Big Sur River

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

sfrake

Re: Fording S. Fork Big Sur River

Post by sfrake »

Thanks a lot for the reply Leor, that's great information. Also, making one crossing is one thing, having to deal with multiple crossings is another. Your last sentence is spot on, as you can see at the USGS page with the last storm we had. Doubtful it will be below your threshold next Thursday. Also doubtful that my threshold is higher than yours!
pantilat

Re: Fording S. Fork Big Sur River

Post by pantilat »

Definitely. Everybody has different tolerance/confidence for swift water but for me the South Fork crossings become difficult and have to take pause on route/strategy taken at ~350 cfs on Big Sur River. Somewhere ~500-600 cfs they would become quite hazardous. The Big Sur River will regularly pop above that "hazardous" range during winter storms but usually recedes in a few days. However, in my opinion with antecedent moderately high flow rate the river is primed to pop higher and take longer to recede with this next sequence.
sfrake

Fording S. Fork Big Sur River

Post by sfrake »

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge regarding whether the South Fork Big Sur could ever get so high that fording it would be unwise (upstream from Rainbow Camp). I was considering hiking the S. Fork Trail next Thursday, but that is shortly after many inches of rain will have fallen during the previous several days. I can monitor the Big Sur River discharge rate at https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-l ... eriod=P30D but I don't know how that correlates to sketchiness along the S. Fork.

I am aware that the windstorm last month will have blown down a branch or two along the trail.