Government shutdown

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

mikesplain

Re: Government shutdown

Post by mikesplain »

Actually, fire staff & law enforcement are essential employees & remain on duty. Folks who insist on using the (washed out & extremely hazardous) lower Pine Ridge Trail or Terrace Creek Trail do so at their own peril & are still just as likely as ever to get an expensive ticket. They also put an undue burden on scarce Search & Rescue crews, many of whom are volunteers placing their own lives at risk.
Fortunately, the Monterey Ranger District has hundreds of miles of other trails that remain open despite the government shutdown. Unfortunately, volunteers are effectively federal employees & also cannot work.
Like them or not, NEPA & other environmental regulations are there to stave off (intended or inadvertent) damage to biological, archaeological, & hydrological resources. But that's not the real issue right now as our trails already have NEPA clearance.
The problem is that without worker's compensation, radio support, or oversight, volunteers are at best a liability to an already under-funded agency; at worst they themselves could end up in real danger.
In my humble opinion, the even bigger problem is that federal employees are being forced to go without a paycheck & even question their job security. It's easy to throw stones at "bureaucrats", but in my experience, the vast majority of Forest Service staff care deeply for the land (YOUR public land) & do their best to care for it. Do we really want the best & brightest leaving the agency to find jobs elsewhere? The Los Padres NF is already severely understaffed & relies on volunteers for basic recreation & wilderness management functions. Should we really risk making things worse?
ventana_paramour

Post by ventana_paramour »

Even if you could bushwhack your way to Sykes there may not be any makeshift hot tubs left to enjoy. With the recent rains and rising river levels those tubs may be long gone by now. The lack of Feds is not a bad thing either -- It's been far too long that the public has been deprived of their rightful access to these public lands. If the Feds can't fix the trail system in a timely fashion then let volunteers do what they safely can and stop tying the public's hands with all these bureaucratically unnecessary environmental / NEPA studies, etc.
Eager Beaver

Post by Eager Beaver »

I think it means you can enjoy a hike to Ventana camp, or Barlow without worry of running into the Feds. If you choose to bushwack you way to Sykes you will no doubt encounter major obstacles. Not sure about the parking at Big Sur Station.
Emperor Norton

Post by Emperor Norton »

The only hiking Trump is likely to do is hiking your taxes to pay for the wall. LNT
ventana_paramour

Post by ventana_paramour »

I heard on CNN that President Trump is planning on delivering the State of the Union from atop Ventana Double Cone. Other than that I don't think the shutdown is having any effect on the Ventana.
gene a

Government shutdown

Post by gene a »

Can anyone comment on the effect the government shutdown is having on the Ventana Wilderness?