Hiking with a dog to Vicente Flat

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

Betsy M

Re: Hiking with a dog to Vicente Flat

Post by Betsy M »

Usually Hare Creek dries up right at the camp itself. You have to continue a few hundred yards upstream, and when the trail takes the right side drainage, you turn left up a side creek. There is water up there a few hundred feet. There should be water in the Middle Fork and also at Goat Camp (just south of Goat Camp at the beautiful creek).
Glazier

Post by Glazier »

Would be much obliged to get a water report for Hare Creek? Was hoping to do Cone Peak via Kirk Creek-->Vicente Flat-->Cone Peak Road, wondering if there is any flow beyond Vicente Flat? Thank you!
fastnlight

Post by fastnlight »

mzdish wrote:ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply. Just saw your response. Didn't realize I wasn't subscribed to the post.
fastnlight

Post by fastnlight »

lori wrote:I have a white dog. I took her once - every time she sat down she had literally 100s of ticks crawling up her. Never. Again.
Thanks Lori. Sorry for the late reply. Just saw your response. Didn't realize I wasn't subscribed to the post.
lori

Post by lori »

I have a white dog. I took her once - every time she sat down she had literally 100s of ticks crawling up her. Never. Again.
mzdish

Post by mzdish »

ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fastnlight

Hiking with a dog to Vicente Flat

Post by fastnlight »

I'm planning to hike up to Vicente Flat trail camp from Kirk Creek Campground and was considering taking my dog. I've never been here before. I've read there is a lot of poison oak and am concerned about keeping him out of it. If I were to take him, I would keep him on a short leash. Even so, how narrow is the trail in terms of poison oak on either side. Is it worth taking him or is it too much work keeping him out of it? He is a very well behaved dog. Anyone else take a dog up here? What do you think?
Thanks for your help.