Backcountry hot tubs coming out.

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

RSIBryce

Re: Backcountry hot tubs coming out.

Post by RSIBryce »

sorry if you read that as sarcasm and a personal attack, i actually meant that I wish everyone could do that. I've genuinely enjoyed my interactions with you and appreciate what you've done, I've just been trying to help clarify the issues. my housemate met you at Sykes last summer and is from Takoma Park, Maryland... she adores you and what you've done out there. I'm not out to get you, I'm just trying to help everyone get along.
Fatpopi

Post by Fatpopi »

Ok. i can see where this is going. Personal attacks on my choice of lifestyle? Wow.
Listen. If you choose to enslave urself witht the latest gizmo or gadget,clothes and cars ect dont hate on me if I have made my life as simple as I could on purpose to be as free as possible. You made that bed,sleep in it.
My lifestyle is about sacrifice,not luck
#HatersGonnaHate
Trash pile left by vwa. U bag it,hike it out. Does not even have to be that day,but asap. NOT 3 YEARS. Period. This is unacceptable.
So,yes despite what you say,VWA left a huge trash pile.
RSIBryce

Post by RSIBryce »

-Trash wasn't left by VWA, it was left by inexperienced hikers. It's great that you are able to be out there as much as you are and care so much about the place. I wish everyone were so lucky to be able to spend that much time in wilderness, that's quite the lifestyle. You did a great job helping get the trash out of there that should never have been piled in the first place. I can appreciate that you feel Sykes gets a bad rap and that you have a lot of passion and connection to it, but the point is the area sees more visitation and impact than is healthy for the place (and the parking on hwy 1) and apparently there's a contingent of people that feel that way so strongly they plan to take out the hot tubs- which was how this thread was originally started..
-Volunteers do what they can... the people who make up the VWA are people who take time out of their life to do something good for the wilderness. No one is getting rich from fundraising efforts to help support the Trail Crew program, Volunteer Wilderness Ranger program, and Youth in Wilderness program. Are you aware that the Monterey Ranger District has no funding for recreation and thus the reason a grassroots volunteer wilderness organization exists to do the work of the USFS?
-VWA digs toilets, cuts trees, cleans up camps along the Pine Ridge, etc...also created a Sykes specific informational brochure that includes LNT information, a map and alternative destinations in the wilderness and is available to all hikers online and at Big Sur Station. VWA also helped create a Pine Ridge trailhead kiosk map that also includes LNT information that was finished with the help of students from Rancho Cielo in Salinas.
Fatpopi

Post by Fatpopi »

Thank you for saying sorry for destroying " an empty speaker box" This means alot to me for many reasons. Its all i have asked, to have a real aplogie for the destruction of private property. It seemed malicious.
This was not what u thought,it was not an empty box. It was a Cajon,or box drum. we use it for vision quest on the top of Pine ridge. That drum had a spirit and was considered a great tool in our healing ceremonies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2igpzONcFl4
I do not want anything but the best for us all,i am not upset with Ventana, just saddened that after all we have done,that that video got published with things that are blatant lies
We deserve better.
Thro all this, I have learned alot. Thank you all for insights and info.
Big sur rec crew will continue to work on the big sur trails(those withen the big sur river watershed) and continue to caretake for sykes.
a vwa

Post by a vwa »

Hadn't read that last response, sooo mentally throw this one two posts back. Anyway I'm done. Good fortune to you.

Brother, I'm sorry I about the empty speaker box. Didn't know about you then. Left that where then trash pile had been, because I wasn't strong enough to carry it out. I picked up 100+lbs of trash on that run, and I carried out most of it, all the way, not just to Terrace. That site down at the end was immaculate, this weekend, except for that fire still burning against the rock.
The trash pile was always what was left over because, human beings can only carry out so much, and in the end it's the same with mules. You did the wilderness a great service hiking the rest of that out.
The stone tubs, were an illegal construction, if we follow the letter of the law, but they bring joy to a good many people. And there can be healing there.
Disintegrating sandbags, and plastic hoses however don't belong in wilderness. These get removed, not just because, they are illegal, but because they, like we, should not remain. We need wilderness so we remember what the world was like, before we despoiled it.
Sykes is wilderness the same.
fat popi

Post by fat popi »

Also,I am not the one who is taking the tubs out. Its group of folks I know from big sur. They are upset about parking on hwy1.

Not sure when,if they still plan on doing this.
But,there have been calls to hwy patrol,and to jerry browns office for some resolution to this oarking situation,once the parking is begun to be enforced,its my hope that the numbers at sykes will level out some.
Thing is, education is the key,not exclusion. Its up to all of us to set the best example and to realize that there is ALWAYS gonna be trash to clean up and trails to maintian...its part of proper "management"
Fatpopi

Post by Fatpopi »

Bryce. Ur right,out of a 3 month effort to clean up the trash pile left by vwa,u all did come and help 1 day. Pat urself on the back.
This was halfway thro our cleanup of the trashpile.
That was the day I realiezed that vwa has a ford f150 pickup truck...meaning with access to terrece and a truck,this pile should have never been there.
No excuses. So yes,while u guys showed up,did one load and left,the cleanup continued on. The rest of the trash pile being taken out by us.
Also,the point of that trip was so that those hot spot people could crap on sykes,they only took trash out cause of the effort that was already beimg made by us. Be honest.
I know u all think its ok to outright lie in the video,but lies tend to make people not trust u. Is it worth it VWA? To lie about the trash,to lie about the trail conditions,to lie about the conditions of the hot tubs? Someone at blm said to me,if they lie about that,what else do they lie about? Fundraising? How donations are being spent? Makes one wonder.
As I have told betsy, we r tired of seeing sykes used for ur negative propaganda. We deserve better. The pine ridge trail receives10-30k users a yr(ur numbers)yet vwa spends zero on sykes,pine ridge. This is not acceptable, under any circumstances
Alls vwa has to do now is the toilets at sykes,and any crosscuts.
And yet the toilets are full,and the one moved, is now so far up the hill,its not being used....
I have and will continue to do what we have been doing,its a shame that this org has not reached out to us and asked us what YOU can do to help,make it work.(start by stop stealing,citting the hoses)
Less talk,more action. Please
a vwa

Post by a vwa »

Indeed, It did seem like a lot of the usual garbage you see down at Sykes had been removed. Only 35lbs for a trip I will be calling a victory. I do think Fat Popi has been doing more than his share taking care of the area.
I didn't count them, but there were maybe 80 plus fire rings in all kinds of places they shouldn't be. Some with broken glass in them. Many up against rocks, which leaves these black long into geologic time. There were new campsites being trenched out into the hillsides.
The hot tubs, we all enjoy, were intact when I left. One doesn't have to wander too far away, from Sykes to find someplace that's healthy again. It's good medicine out there.
It's going to take a better management plan, and a lot of hard work.
RSIBryce

Post by RSIBryce »

"..vwa has not been hauling trash out from sykes. They had been piling it up in a huge trash pile that u see in the video. We r the ones who cleaned up that mess, got the trash carried out by hikiers. So dont spout that bs about vwa cleaning up trash...its disrespectful to the truth of the situation.."

.... Fat Popi, you hiked out to Sykes with VWR's Steve, Beth, Lynn, myself and the two Leave No Trace Traveling Trainers this past October on their visit to the Sykes Corridor "Hot Spot" (as in areas around the country in need of LNT training because of the amount of visitation they receive) and we all hiked out a large amount of that garbage TOGETHER. Everyone was thankful for the amount you and Brian had been able to get hikers to take out before then. But of course, the garbage from hikers keeps getting left behind... Recently we carried out a broken left behind tent and a bag of trash from Terrace Creek.

Your energy and enthusiasm for the wilderness and all the efforts you've made to make the area nicer are commendable, but you are not doing yourself or the area a favor by making these sort of false statements. These are PUBLIC lands that belong to EVERYONE. Its not the wild west stake your claim wilderness of the frontier days. There are rules and guidelines for how these areas are managed and the VWA is doing its best to help manage an area that is seeing a very large amount of visitation by inexperienced backcountry travelers. Its unfortunate that so much animosity has grown between you and the VWA, I hope we can all learn to get along, there's too many bigger issues in the world to have these sort of tensions.
Last edited by RSIBryce on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a vwa

Post by a vwa »

I hauled out 35lbs today.