Black Bear Scat?

This is the place for general discussion and backcountry information.

Moderators: Betsy M, dknapp1

BentleyChristoff

Re: Black Bear Scat?

Post by BentleyChristoff »

MichelleH wrote:I saw this scat on the Pine Ridge trail near the Bear Basin connector trail today. I'm wondering if it is from a bear. It's quite large, there's a tan oak acorn cap in the photo that provides some scale, and it has seeds in it and is a bit crumbly. Saw a couple other piles of scat that were disintegrating and more obviously full of seeds. Too big for a dog or coyote and feline scat wouldn't have seeds. Anybody have a idea as to whether or not it is from a bear?
definitely looks like bear scat, the type of bear, i'm not sure.
Betsy M

Post by Betsy M »

Agree, that definitely looks like bear scat. What surprises me is that the bear isn't venturing down Pine Valley. The elderberry bushes are loaded with ripe fruit now, and it doesn't look like anyone is eating them.
toejam

Post by toejam »

Probably bear. I've been seeing bear scat most hikes in the Silver Peak Wilderness this year - more than I saw in the previous few years.
MichelleH

Post by MichelleH »

I saw this scat on the Pine Ridge trail near the Bear Basin connector trail today. I'm wondering if it is from a bear. It's quite large, there's a tan oak acorn cap in the photo that provides some scale, and it has seeds in it and is a bit crumbly. Saw a couple other piles of scat that were disintegrating and more obviously full of seeds. Too big for a dog or coyote and feline scat wouldn't have seeds. Anybody have a idea as to whether or not it is from a bear?
Attachments
IMG_0012.JPG
All Read

Post by All Read »

Yeah. Why not bear like to read just as much as other animals.
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Wow, what a shot of that black bear! They tend to be pretty shy animals. Great idea with the crittercam. I'm hoping to get some land out there one of these days. I've been hiking up in the White Mountains in NH since I was 12 (I'm 48 now) and it wasn't until a year ago that I ran into a family of bears on the trail, although I'm sure they've seen me many times. It was late at night, above treeline, under a full moon. I was with my 16 year-old son and we both just backed away in the direction we came from. The bears didn't even pay any attention to us, they were busy flipping over rocks and eating moths. I'll be sure to look out for those berry bushes and make sure I don't set up camp beside them next time I head out West.
LBehrmann

Post by LBehrmann »

Bear food, plenty of berries right now. They usually don't invade camps, but I guess it is good to be safe.
Attachments
IMG_20160206_162032609.jpg
edormody

Post by edormody »

Our property borders the Ventana Wilderness. We installed a critter cam and this guy (or girl) has made a couple of appearances around Ponciano Ridge. This is a photo from fall '15:
Attachments
Ponciano Bear.jpg
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone would be able to confirm that. I never expect to see a bear out there. When I'm up in Maine or New Hampshire hiking, I'm meticulous about hanging any food and cooking away from camp, changing clothes after eating, etc..but I don't think of that on the Central Coast. I guess I should.
LBehrmann

Post by LBehrmann »

I see it on the Cruickshank trail all the time, but less on many other trails. They eat the Toyon berries