Forums

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION - updated April 26, 2021

Highway One is Open. The washout at Rat Creek has been repaired and the highway is open throughout Big Sur. Nacimiento-Fergusson Road -- which connects Highway 1 at Kirk Creek with Fort Hunter Liggett on the eastern side of the Coast Ridge -- is significantly damaged and will be closed indefinitely. 

What's Open: NEW: The Pine Ridge Trail from Big Sur Station to Redwood Camp IS OPEN effective April 13, 2021. 

Effective January 22, 2021 U.S. Forest Service - Los Padres National Forest re-opened most unburned areas of the Monterey Ranger District. In the northern Ventana Wilderness, most lands north of and including the Marble Peak Trail are open. Wilderness trails inland can be accessed from the Arroyo Seco Recreation Area near Greenfield (off 101) and from Tassajara Road off of Carmel Valley Road). Along the coast, Wilderness trails may be accessed via the Pine Ridge Trail at Big Sur Station, the North Coast Ridge Road, the Boronda Trail, and the De Angulo Trail on Highway One.

Lands south of Willow Creek Road, including most of the Silver Peak Wilderness, are open. 

What's Closed: Click here for a map that shows the current fire closure boundaries

Road Closures: Del Venturi/Milpitas, Nacimiento-Fergusson, Cone Peak, Plaskett Ridge, Willow Creek/Los Burros, & South Coast Ridge Roads remain closed.

Know Before You Go: Not sure if a particular road, trail, or camp is open? Call the Monterey Ranger District at 831-385-5434. Please enjoy your public lands responsibly. Pack out everything you pack in (including toilet paper). Leave this special place better than you found it. Leave No Trace ethics are more important than ever. 

Current Fire Restrictions: Campfires and stoves are currently permitted in the backcountry. Click here for a permit and take it with you

State Parks: Check with individual State Parks to confirm access and for additional information. 
Open for day use: Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, Garrapata State Park - Soberanes Canyon Trail, Andrew Molera State Park, Point Sur State Historic Park (tours only), and Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.

Closed: Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, John Little State Natural Reserve

Ventana Wilderness Forums • View topic - Buckeye Trail

Buckeye Trail

Re: Buckeye Trail

Postby echightower on Sat May 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Date Hiked: May 3, 2021
General Condition: Clear (no obstacles and tread well defined)

The conditions are between clear and passable. There is a lot of encroaching poison oak on the section of Buckeye Trail between where Buckeye intersects Cruikshank Trail and the first ridge with an ocean view when headed south on Buckeye. It required attention to duck and dodge some of it.

There are also a few areas with emerging false tread issues that are slowly making the trail meander downhill.

The Silver Peak loop (Salmon Creek, Cruikshank, Buckeye) was a nice walk anyway. Water every few miles makes it an easy 16 mile day hike.
echightower

Postby driggsy on Sun May 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Date Hiked: May 9, 2021

I did a trail run on this trail, and it was clear enough to be runnable for the vast majority of it. A couple sections got brushy but never too bad.
driggsy

Postby Yanni G on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:21 am

Date Hiked: March 12, 2021

Encroaching Brush on the ridge after buckeye camp. 4 streams running from salmon creek station to silver camp. Great trail, hard work.
Yanni G

cruickshank salmon buckeye Loop

Postby Vanessa on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 pm

Date Hiked: February 27, 2021
General Condition: Passable (some brush and/or deadfalls, tread evident)

We hiked the cruickshank salmon buckeye loop clockwise starting at buckeye trail. We love it! SO beautiful, clear skies, PERFECT weather. Highs of 65, lows of 39 at Buckeye and Lions Den. NO BUGS, it was incredible. We used the Gaia app as navigation which was easy to use, no major inconsistencies, or issues getting lost. Also had the National Geographic Map in hand. The trail was mostly clear with some brush, and deadfalls. Poison oak was everywhere, definitely unavoidable that it will be touching your shoes, and bottom half of pants. There were some spots (between Buckeye camp and Cruikshank camp) that the PO was very overgrown and you just had to accept it, hold your hands above your head, and let it brush up against your chest and pants. We took a lot of precautions to avoid getting it on our skin. Carefully switching out of trail clothes at end of day, hanging them in a bag on a tree, washing hands with Tecnu, and changing into sleep clothes. Too early to tell if we were successful in avoiding rash..

The trail was difficult but definitely doable. My little sister did this trail for her first backpacking trip ever and has no issue. The only pretty sketchy area was after Silver peak camp. There was a small lip in a cliff covered in loose pebbles that you had to pass over. Sheer drop off if you miss your footing without any tree/brush to catch your fall. I was terrified. I rarely lose my cool backpacking. My husband had to guide my every move to get me across. Somehow my little sister popped over it like it was no big deal. I wouldn't have chosen against this trail because of it, but that part was not enjoyable for me. After that the trail is thin with sheer cliffs on your left for a while, but nothing crazy.

We were thinking about bringing the dogs but decided against it because of the PO. VERY happy with that choice, also that one cliff part may have caused me to turn back if I had them in tow.

We didn't go longer than about 2 miles without seeing creeks, springs, or falls with plenty of water. This would of course be much different at other times of the year. We slept at Lions Den the second night, and there is a small creek up there we were able to fill up at. Also plenty of water at Buckeye camp, silver peak camp, and Estrella. Didn't stop of Cruikshank but I think there is water there too.

We did this starting Thursday afternoon and finished Sunday morning. We didn't see a single person until Saturday morning at Estrella Camp and then plenty of people beyond that the rest of the way down.

Highly recommend this hike.
Vanessa

Postby driggsy on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:49 am

Date Hiked: February 15, 2021
General Condition: Wilderness Freeway (Heavily used and well maintained)

I ran this trail, and it was clear for 80% of the way. The second quarter coming from Cruikshank has some whippy plants, but other than that it was smooth sailing!
driggsy

Postby VWA_Ranger on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Date Hiked: November 15, 2020

*** VWA/USFS Volunteer Ranger/Trail Crew Report ***

Forest/Trail Status: CLOSED, Los Padres Monterey Ranger District is closed per Forest Order 05-07-51-20-22
Current Fire Restrictions: No Campfires, No Stoves in backcountry. Cold Camping Only.

Description:

With the Monterey Ranger District Forest still closed, VWA/USFS Volunteer Rangers continue to prepare for its reopening. Today volunteer Rangers and Ranger Trainees patrolled from Upper Cruickshank Camp to Villa Creek Camp. They cleaned Villa Creek Camp. Water is available at Villa Creek Camp.

Trail conditions are as follows:

Upper Cruickshank Camp to Villa Creek Camp. - Clear with no obstacles. Some off camber tread in spots. Villa Creek is crossable at this time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: This report is for informational purposes only. Trail conditions may change at any time. The Ventana Wilderness Alliance assumes no liability for the use of this information.
The Los Padres National Forest Website can be found here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/lpnf/
To learn more about the Volunteer VWA/USFS Ranger and Trail Crew Programs visit https://www.ventanawild.org/stewardship.
VWA_Ranger

Postby cwuflestad on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Date Hiked: August 15, 2020

Final leg of Salmon Creek -> Lion's Den -> Buckeye -> Salmon Creek Station

A lot more poison oak on Buckeye Trail. More people too, given it was a Saturday.
Incredible views on the way down so make time to soak them in. We had originally planned to camp at Buckeye but we made it there by noon and decided to head back to our car and enjoy some time at the Falls.
Amazing hike and many different biomes. Highly recommend if you're up for the hike.
cwuflestad

Postby gregwin99 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:06 pm

Date Hiked: June 22, 2020

Section: Buckeye Camp back to Highway 1 Salmon Creek Station

Camped slightly past Buckeye overlooking the ocean. In the morning hiked back to buckeye camp to refill water at the spring there.

Trail was clear- some tall grasses so be wary of ticks. Water Flowing at Soda creek.

Great loop for a mellow three day backpack (Salmon creek Trailhead--Lion Den, Lion Den--Buckeye, Buckeye--Salmon Creek Trailhead)
gregwin99

Postby Jim Ringland on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:35 pm

Date Hiked: March 4, 2020

I hiked this from Upper Cruikshank Camp to the Salmon Creek Guard Station.

Fine, clear trail all the way. It’s a little narrower north of Buckeye Camp, but from Buckeye to the Soda Springs Trail junction (and a bit beyond) one could make the case that this is Wilderness Freeway. The descent to the Guard Station is narrower, served as a water channel in a few spots during some of the winter rains, but is still in acceptable shape. Not much brush incursion on this last descent either. It looks like this segment got cleaned up a bit since the October 2019 report.

Buckeye Camp remains a nice place. The west camp is just a fire ring. The east camp still has the old table, now with a seat on only one side, plus a fire ring. It’s under a huge bay. The nearby spring is running well.

I enjoyed several California peonies, some in bloom, some building seed pods, on the south facing slope north of Buckeye and on one of the open slopes between Buckeye and the Soda Springs Trail junction. That latter segment had a nice display of poppies (E. caespitosa) on one of the open ridges too.

One additional note. I saw no ticks on this trail or any other on my Salmon Creek - Cruikshank - Buckeye Loop ... until I got home and found one on me. Since I check daily, that critter likely came from Cruikshank Camp or some stop on the Buckeye Trail. There may not be many this year, but they are out there.
Jim Ringland

Postby pantilat on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:46 pm

Date Hiked: January 26, 2020

Between Salmon Creek Station and JCT with Cruickshank Trial: Clear. Trail is in good shape with tread re-work holding up and minimal brush encroachment. There's some low encroaching poison oak between the Cruickshank Trail JCT and the first prominent ridge to the south. Water was flowing in all of the main streams, including Redwood Gulch, Buckeye Camp and Soda Spring Creek.
pantilat

Next

Return to Silver Peak Wilderness Trails